Neighbours show true colours

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if care is shown to make the flight path in the immediate vicinity of the hive not impinge on the neighbours e.g. divert them upwards then it becomes the responsibility of the neighbours not to attract the bees to their gardens.
Bees are intrinsic to keeping flowers, flower keepers beware.

What nonsense!
You cannot mitigate your responsibility for your actions by claiming its the neighbours fault for having flowers in their garden.

What nonsense!
You cannot mitigate your responsibility for your actions by claiming its the neighbours fault for having flowers in their garden.

you get bees in your garden regardless of whether your neighbour has bees or not. You cannot prove that the bee that stung you is theirs. Flowers attract bees. I think it makes a pretty good case. You would have to prove some kind of deliberate negligence against the owner of the bees. As an owner of the flowers you would have to show that you had taken reasonable precautions not to be stung by a chance encounter with a bee and that the neighbour having bees led to an unreasonably high number of bees in your garden.

A person who has a garden with flowers has implicitly accepted the risks that bees will be attracted to them.

A person who has a garden with flowers has implicitly accepted the risks that bees will be attracted to them.

Lets look at this another way: if the neighbour knows you have beehives in your garden and they are stung, who are they going to blame?
I have exceptionally docile bees, but, I don't keep any in my garden.

Lets look at this another way: if the neighbour knows you have beehives in your garden and they are stung, who are they going to blame?
I have exceptionally docile bees, but, I don't keep any in my garden.

Being able to Blame and being able to make a case that will stand up are two different things.

I gather some would even blame empty hives that you practised making inspection upon with the full kit including lit smoker :)

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

The jobsworth and dogooders have had their day.

It's Political correctness and "oh don't upset the minorities, they should be allowed to do the things that are linked to their culture" that has us where we are today, Gangs of kiddie fiddlers and nutters wanting to "wipe out the infidels"!

You can see why the Yanks elected Mr Trump!

What has this got to do with having bees on your property. I'm confused.

Being able to Blame and being able to make a case that will stand up are two different things.

I gather some would even blame empty hives that you practised making inspection upon with the full kit including lit smoker :)

I suppose, even the fear of not being able to use their property might be construed as intimidation. But, I leave it to someone more qualified in this area than I am to comment on that.
Your example of practicing on a dummy hive might bring into question whether the neighbours fear of being stung was justified. But, this is stretching the bounds of credibility and sounds more like provocation. If there were bees in the hive, and the neighbour knew that and made a complaint, I still think you'd be told to move them.

Thanks for the replies and discussion some interesting points. I have spoken with the neighbour since there are no hard feelings and we still get on as do most of the neighbours here. I have asked if she is allergic and the answer is no. She states her daughter (mid 20's) got stung with a wasp last summer and had a red lump for about a week and it's her that's scared. I've explained that a wasp & a bee are different animals and explained with my limited knowledge how honey bees work.
My garden is completely enclosed with a solid 6' fence so the bees would have to be at least that high to leave the garden in the first place.
Looking forward to summer and hopefully sharing a bit of honey
Wingy

I'm glad you sorted it out amicably, now lets see if the other two here can do the same thing :D although good points on both sides I must say

I agree. Life is too short to pander to other people at the expense of your own happiness. You live in a detached house with a big garden. As long as you are well read and
do your very best to keep bees safely and responsibly then ignore the ignorant busy body. Make sure you are on the ball with swarming.

:iagree: that is exactly what i would do and i can be certain she would be getting no honey, in fact nothing from me.

Not surprising, then, with so many people declaring entrenched views - without even considering entering a discussion - that things like Wednesday happen. sad face (I couldn't find a ready made one)

Not surprising, then, with so many people declaring entrenched views - without even considering entering a discussion - that things like Wednesday happen. sad face (I couldn't find a ready made one)

:(

Thanks for the replies and discussion some interesting points. I have spoken with the neighbour since there are no hard feelings and we still get on as do most of the neighbours here. I have asked if she is allergic and the answer is no. She states her daughter (mid 20's) got stung with a wasp last summer and had a red lump for about a week and it's her that's scared. I've explained that a wasp & a bee are different animals and explained with my limited knowledge how honey bees work.
My garden is completely enclosed with a solid 6' fence so the bees would have to be at least that high to leave the garden in the first place.
Looking forward to summer and hopefully sharing a bit of honey
Wingy
Well done, reason and education sometimes does work.

You still really do need to think about finding an alternative site for your bees - even if you find everything is hunky dory and you are not getting any neighbour problems you won't be able to have just one colony and two soon become four and the reality is that more than a couple of hives in a garden or on an allotment is running the gauntlet. I have my seven colonies in my garden but they are in a remote spot, high walls and fences all round and the direction they fly is is well away from my neighbours gardens and they have been there for several years without issue but .... even I have a Plan B.

they have been there for several years without issue but .... even I have a Plan B.

pargyle is right. All my colonies are on farms, but, they are not all owned by the same farmer. Its a good idea to have some flexibility incase you have to move colonies

There seems to be a lot of careless talk going on here.
You might consider that he/she is a "shitty neighbour" but that won't help you if they make a complaint and you get a visit from the police and they tell you to move them.
I have studied enough law to know that he/she would have a case against you if they were stung. I repeat: they have the same rights to enjoy the benefits of their property that you do. Why is this so hard to understand?

Unless they are standing withing 2 - 3 feet of the hive, I fail to see how they can't enjoy their own garden. I could have a picnic 10 foot away from my hive and not even realise they were there unless I looked at them.

If you think that's an ok thing to say then I wish your own karma upon you.
No need for me to wish it though, people create their own karma.

No sense of humour,

& presumably no Childhood? ? ?:calmdown:

Should I say 1st childhood?
Some members are probably descending into their 2nd!

Last edited:
Back