I’m on my way!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started to work double brood boxes last year. I had thought about it in previous years but twice the amount of work ant inspection put me off. I have found that it does not involve more work and probably decreases swarming. Much of the time bottom box inspection seems not to be needed, with most of the action going on in the top box. What I enjoy most is the greater management flexibility it gives.
What do you double brood boxers think?

Yes it is a simply strategy that betters brood and half by a country mile, the same loooking for QC's between boxes to assess swarming issues but with the greater as said flexibility of having the same frame size.
Over wintering on DB simply means the bottom box acts as a larger bottom wind baffle , the bees will normally over winter in the top and any bottom stores will get used up later in winter or early spring once the cluster breaks. If one uses poly then they may not cluster very tightly at all.
The DB gives the beek a little more leeway early spring as to carrying out any manipulations, while the inexperienced fret about various techniques far too early that are disadvantageous to the bees.
The wiser beek can simply just heft the colony to ensure stores are still good and sit back and wait three or four more weeks until conditions are better.
Swarming if any may occur later in the season so one should see larger honey crops or they may just opt for superscedure in autumn but there is no guarantee that they won't swarm with the old Q, clipping will prevent losing a big swarm and if they play the game right will retain both Q's.

Prove that you aren't, subconsiously or otherwise :)

James
As a successful dowser using a couple of biro tubes and bent coat hanger wires, I've tracked down buried cables, pipes and drains in places I haven't previously visited. I don't know how or why it works or even if I miss some potential targets. I just accept the successes and forget about the failures/omissions. There's nothing to lose if it works. If it doesn't try another way with modern technology or start digging.🤔

As a successful dowser using a couple of biro tubes and bent coat hanger wires, I've tracked down buried cables, pipes and drains in places I haven't previously visited. I don't know how or why it works or even if I miss some potential targets. I just accept the successes and forget about the failures/omissions. There's nothing to lose if it works. If it doesn't try another way with modern technology or start digging.🤔
*I just accept the successes and forget about the failures/omissions*

I think that’s pretty much the basis for all woo 😄

And I think that sums up many peoples issues with dowsing and other activities where there is no understanding of mechanism of action. What is success? Without knowing all the potential targets and the identify how many are actually identified, no one can ascertain that the success identified is more than random chance. I've tried dowsing and it didn't work for me, but that not to say it doesn't work for others, for what ever reason, for an undefined percentage of targets.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world, the unreasonable man persists in adapting the world to himself, therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man

Laurence has started a group on something called discord.
I’m afraid I couldn’t work out how to get in there. My age, you know.
I've joined Discord servers and Facebook groups on beekeeping, most, if not all are absolute tripe filled with terrible information from clueless people. The way they are designed feels like you are removed from any real conversation. Nothing compares to this forum in regards to useful information and help from good beekeepers. I really hope this forum lasts forever and does not get abandoned for those lesser mediums. That unfortunately happened to Anglersnet.co.uk that was busy back in the day. Nothing compares to forums

I've joined Discord servers and Facebook groups on beekeeping, most, if not all are absolute tripe filled with terrible information from clueless people. The way they are designed feels like you are removed from any real conversation. Nothing compares to this forum in regards to useful information and help from good beekeepers. I really hope this forum lasts forever and does not get abandoned for those lesser mediums. That unfortunately happened to Anglersnet.co.uk that was busy back in the day. Nothing compares to forums
I think, as long as there are new(ish) beekeepers and people who are sufficiently motivated to answer their questions (Many of which have been well answered previously in the 15+ years this forum has thrived) then it will survive. The wealth and breadth of knowledge, freely passed on, is outstanding - I've learned so much on here that has made me a better beekeeper than if I had relied on more traditional sources of knowledge - it's like dipping into a beekeeping encyclopedia that's updated on an hourly basis.

I think it's head and shoulders above every other beekeeping forum or group on the planet - it's helped by the diversity of topics that appear, so it's not just beekeeping advice that keeps people coming back. I know some people are put off (occasionally) by the robust nature of the forum - but it's a whole lot better than some forums (not beekeeping ones) I see which, frankly, are populated by foul mouthed morons who seem to enjoy belittling anyone about anything.

I can't see why it will not survive unless something changes dramatically - there are people on here who have been around since almost the first day Mark decided it was time for a place where anything could be freely discussed and established the forum ethos that remains today. The fact that people come and stay (even if they don't post regularly) tells you something.

Long may it continue ..

Last edited:
Nothing compares to forums
I agree. Even the search function isn’t that bad here. It takes time to find what you want because there is so much if it.
I’ve managed to register with the discord group and I sneak a look. @Ely I have to agree with you.
I suppose it’s ok for a small nucleus of members to chat but that’s it.

More than I’ve ever seen before. Not like the big swarms you see on bee videos but a fair fewE31DEF90-05D8-405F-9424-4D9A640D1CAD.png

Yeah it’s hard to see. It’s a still from a video
My friend sent me. They are more than it looks like.

Nothing sweet and no water source in fact my friend was going in to water her plants when she found them.

Yes it’s my spare. The one I’ve baited with spare comb and lemongrass oil is outside where I want them to be.

I'd put both hives outside in different locations to maximise your chances
Will do, thanks. I didn’t think they’d find a hive in the polytunnel. That’s just where we put them together.

Latest posts

Back