I’m on my way!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you do buy a colony you could keep them in one hive for a couple of months then transfer them to the other brood box (on the same location they are used too).
That then gives you a brood box that smells of bees to use in the bait hive.

Should I try to shoo them out then? They’re right by the open entrance.
They will probably find their way out tomorrow if it warms up with a bit of sun on the polytunnel.
Did you put lemongrass oil in the hive in the polytunnel, or spill some in there? Could be why they've been attracted in.

They will probably find their way out tomorrow if it warms up with a bit of sun on the polytunnel.
Did you put lemongrass oil in the hive in the polytunnel, or spill some in there? Could be why they've been attracted in.
Could have spilled some. Since they’ve been in the poly tunnel I’ve got my friend to dab some in the actual hive. I think I might have to drive over and take a look. The suspense is killing me.

Could have spilled some. Since they’ve been in the poly tunnel I’ve got my friend to dab some in the actual hive. I think I might have to drive over and take a look. The suspense is killing me.
Relax - it's not a swarm. Yet!

@FidoDido when a swarm comes it will look like this:

1. You get initial scout bees.
  2. They convince more scouts.
  3. These convince more scouts.
  4. Eventually there are maybe a few hundred bees.
  5. Then they all disappear as they've gone to convince the rest of the swarm to come.
  6. The swarm arrives en masse.

The first four points can take a few days.
The last two occur over perhaps one hour.

Here's a very sped up version from a couple of years ago in my garden:

5. Then they all disappear as they've gone to convince the rest of the swarm to come.

Wow that’s quite a sight! Can’t wait to see one in the flesh!

It's quite a spectacle if you are lucky enough to witness a swarm arriving. I remember being in the garden, a loud buzzing getting closer, then the sky darkened by many 1000s of bees overhead, then watching them as a huge mass on the outside of the hive piling in!
Astounding!

That's a great video. Captures that lull when all the bees suddenly disappear before the swarm arrives.
One of mine

View attachment 07B38A79-1A65-4BA8-84D5-D3A61966CAEF.mov

Latest posts

Back