Desperately seeking help!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You seem rather dismissive of or blind to the problems that someone living next to a beekeeper can face if that beekeeper doesn't give a damn.
Not at all.

The OP has a right to quiet enjoyment of his garden
And the beekeeper has a right to enjoy their garden as they like. For many people keeping bees at the bottom of the garden is an aspiration.

Neighbourly relations involves a bit of give and take. Which is why I asked the OP what they would consider an acceptable number of hives. I have to put up with listening to my neighbours petrol mower ALL FRIGGIN DAY for one or two days a week, I think they can tolerate me collecting a swarm from their garden once in four years (and they hadn't even noticed it).

The beekeeper has reduced their number of hives. They've bought a load of nucs which is traditionally for swarm control. It seems they are taking steps to reduce their impact on neighbours.

We can debate this endlessly on here and make various assumptions but it comes down to the OP either deciding to live with it in the interests of neighbourly relations or deciding it is a nuisance and impacting on their enjoyment of their garden and contacting the Env Health dept. They will assess if it is a nuisance or has the potential to be one and either deal with it informally or serve a notice. Having been involved in these sort of issues ( never bees but chickens, noise and and a host of other problems) when working in Env Health my gut feeling is that the EHO would probably be on the side of the OP and agree that the bees constituents a nuisance. But of course that's based on lots of assumptions and they may assess that the neighbours bees are not a nuisance.

I'm reading Bees-at-Law, Noel Sweeny at the moment. Section J19 concerns anti-social behaviour.It seems that the best course of action would be to use the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014 (ABCPA).

All I know is that about twice a week, my home and garden are subjected to overwhelming bee activity that cannot be endured during a time when me and my family love to be outside
Do these problem times coincide with when the beekeeper is working the hives or has just been with them?

reading Bees-at-Law, Noel Sweeny
Heavy going, isnt it? I still haven't managed to get very far into the great wodge. When I bought a copy at a show years ago, Jeremy Burbidge (Northern Bee Books publisher) had a chat and told me that Noel Sweeney refused to allow it to be edited, so self-published it.

Last edited:
Heavy going, isnt it? I still haven't managed to get very far into the great wodge. When I bought a copy at a show years ago, Jeremy Burbidge (Northern bee Books publisher) had a chat and told me that Noel Sweeney refused to allow it to be edited, so self-published it.
I'm finding it easier the further I get into it. About 60% of the way through. Not something to pick up and read a couple of pages then put down again because it keeps referring back. Started to read it because there's a problem beekeeper close by and I wondered what could be done. They need help but refuse it. There will be consequences for other beekeepers if the problems aren't resolved. Not straight forward is it? Why can't folks just play nice?

Funny how this forum, the Daily Mail and Jeremy Whine have all been commenting on “do you have a right to object to your neighbour’s keeping bees” in the last few days. Conspiracy theories welcome anyone!
By the way I thought that beekeepers would be in for a mauling on Radio 2 but we came over well and even Jeremy Whine went easy on us.

Last edited:
don't blame you, awful person, just a middle class version of Jeremy Kyle, pandering to the gammons and daily mail readers.
And perhaps taregetted at them ...But often (Possibly mainly) listened to by the Great Unwashed ... judging by who I hear talking about what's on his programme.

Latest posts

Back