Happy New year fellow beekeepers. What are your aspirations?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if anyone has seen multiple swarms from different colonies gathering together in one group? Could fill a 44 gallon drum if the tales are believed! I guess in a really swarmy year....
I haven't, but apparently once homed and down the track, these massive swarms are not infrequently queenless. The supposition is that they kill all the queens.
I've seen 2 swarms amalgamate a few years ago. 1 hive swarmed & hung in a nearby tree. Within an hour a second hive swarmed and they all went to the same place!
I'd also love to know why I've had several swarms all pitch in the same bush within about a foot of the same place. Residual scent? (Even a year later??) Ley lines? (🤭)

What I did find was reintroducing the old queen (Peter Little technique) doesn’t work as well in a swarmy season - that technique is best more towards the end of swarm season not in the middle. Do you agree? Or have you found differences?
I tried that twice and it didn't work and like you probably did it too early. I seem to recall that Pete did say the later the more chance of success.
I've tried all sorts of swarm management. Wally Shaw's modified Snelgrove seemed pretty good but that failed for me. The only method that so far has been foolproof is a Demaree...except this year now I've said it :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I've seen 2 swarms amalgamate a few years ago. 1 hive swarmed & hung in a nearby tree. Within an hour a second hive swarmed and they all went to the same place!
I'd also love to know why I've had several swarms all pitch in the same bush within about a foot of the same place. Residual scent? (Even a year later??) Ley lines? (🤭)
I was on a call once from someone who was reporting a swarm, and the caller after a while said that the swarm had "disappeared". I asked if she had a lemon tree and when she replied"yes", I suggested she go and look there...and there it was. I think she though I was some sort of genius bee whisperer :ROFLMAO:

I would have thought trophallaxis the everyday behaviour of bees is more of a factor in viral spread than clipping.
More, but natural, rather than manmade added risk?

I was on a call once from someone who was reporting a swarm, and the caller after a while said that the swarm had "disappeared". I asked if she had a lemon tree and when she replied"yes", I suggested she go and look there...and there it was. I think she though I was some sort of genius bee whisperer :ROFLMAO:
This is why I love this forum so much. It's become my daily reading ANd amusement. Your stories (and photos) and the others above are superb and have really made me think and question what I'm doing. Keep them coming please. Thank you all!

Any time my lot head off, they veer south towards the Viburnum plicatum (a beautiful wedding cake viburnum) seen extreme right of the photo. They then select the exact branch each time to hang on which makes me wonder about residual pheromone. Unfortunately it's just above the path and exactly at face height for me. I nearly planted myself in this swarm a few years back. The thought still makes me go cold.

Attachments

• IMG_20220425_205329_955.jpg
    IMG_20220425_205329_955.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 2
  • VID_97150919_034039_515.mp4
    2.9 MB
On the bright side @Aneebe bee it does make it easy for you to recover them.
Well that IS a silver lining lol. Thing is I've had to drastically reduce my home colony number so I'll have the other two apiaries I've set up trying it on. However to answer the original thread, I'm going to TRY and get my Demaree technique worked out this year (although modified Snelgrove at home is fun just for the sheer craic of opening wee doors). I'm also going to crack open the piggy bank soon and buy a shiny new Instantvap and associated kit. Really looking forward to using that. I'm sadly addicted to buying candle moulds too so no doubt I'll be heading over to purchase some more Christmas themed ones come the autumn.

I'll probably be there to buy all your old crap then !! I hope Roger speeds up a bit this year, by the time it had finished and I'd had to go to Tesco's cash machine as the Associations card reader packed up it was past my bedtime !
There were so many lots last year, it was mad. Too many small lots IMHO too. Who can be bothered to bid for a couple of uncapping forks??

Any time my lot head off, they veer south towards the Viburnum plicatum (a beautiful wedding cake viburnum) seen extreme right of the photo. They then select the exact branch each time to hang on which makes me wonder about residual pheromone. Unfortunately it's just above the path and exactly at face height for me. I nearly planted myself in this swarm a few years back. The thought still makes me go cold.
Lovely spot for hives

More, but natural, rather than manmade added risk?
Main reason why I clip my queens, is most of my bees are in an out-apiary. I don’t want to be asked if I can retrieve my bees from my ‘landlord’s very large and very high up chimney!

I totally respect many beekeepers have other views though & it’s a personal decision ;)

Main reason why I clip my queens, is most of my bees are in an out-apiary. I don’t want to be asked if I can retrieve my bees from my ‘landlord’s very large and very high up chimney!
As I said before, I have no real issue either way. I've certainly clipped 100s of queens in my time, possibly low 1000s without any issue at all. I don't bother now but that's because I don't feel the need with the bees I have, very low swarm inclination. My as yet unfinished thoughts about purposely causing damage to a queen aren't based on anything other than curiosity -(possibly) started quite a few years ago on the old Scottish beekeepers forum when MBC described a documentary he'd seen which showed the heamolymph pumping out of the damaged wing of a butterfly. No issues with other people clipping.

As I said before, I have no real issue either way. I've certainly clipped 100s of queens in my time, possibly low 1000s without any issue at all. I don't bother now but that's because I don't feel the need with the bees I have, very low swarm inclination. My as yet unfinished thoughts about purposely causing damage to a queen aren't based on anything other than curiosity -(possibly) started quite a few years ago on the old Scottish beekeepers forum when MBC described a documentary he'd seen which showed the heamolymph pumping out of the damaged wing of a butterfly. No issues with other people clipping.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts @rolande
hanks for sharing your thoughts.

There were so many lots last year, it was mad. Too many small lots IMHO too. Who can be bothered to bid for a couple of uncapping forks??
Yes, I agree ... they would be better having a 'small lots' sectiion in the auction where people simply put a price on the item(s) that they are happy with and they can be sold without going through the auction, first come first served. If they are not sold prior to the point where the auctioneers get to them they get auctioned with no reserve. That way you would be able to cope with the huge number of lots, finish at a reasonable time and you still get the WSBKA commission. There you are - something for your next meeting....

Yes, I agree ... they would be better having a 'small lots' sectiion in the auction where people simply put a price on the item(s) that they are happy with and they can be sold without going through the auction, first come first served. If they are not sold prior to the point where the auctioneers get to them they get auctioned with no reserve. That way you would be able to cope with the huge number of lots, finish at a reasonable time and you still get the WSBKA commission. There you are - something for your next meeting....
Email the organisers and put forward your suggestion Philip, I’m sure it will have more effect coming from someone outside the area as you have to travel further than the locals.

Edit, that’s just reminded me I still have to enter those 14 individual queen cages and the 20 bee escapes, that should take up another 30 mins! 😁

Latest posts

Back