Multiple Open Hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hey All

We have three hives located inline, with a space of one metre/one yard between them. Over the weekends inspection, we had all three hives open at the same time between three beeks, suddenly, we asked ourselves, is this good practice ?

Your comment would be most welcome.

Cheers
Matt

I would expect that if there is a weaker colony, you might provoke robbing.

I would expect that if there is a weaker colony, you might provoke robbing.

Hi thenovice,
Yes, you are absolutely right to be cautious. The picture in question is irrelevant to the OP's query and misleading to newbies!

No problem, we open seven hives in the association apiary and after we have finished they all settle down in a few minutes

Ask a bee keeper a question and get two answers.......

Put the cover board back over - easier than lugging roof on and off continuously and will reduce amount of bees flying up from brood box

And why so many hives shoud be open at same time?
Heat escapes first from hive with that system.
Brood area has constant temp 36C

Hey All

We have three hives located inline, with a space of one metre/one yard between them. Over the weekends inspection, we had all three hives open at the same time between three beeks, suddenly, we asked ourselves, is this good practice ?

No problem whatsoever - as Redwood says we sometimes have seven or even more hives open the same time it's not an issue. When we worked with ChrisB a few years ago there were five or six of us working in unison - do you think we took it in turns? :D

Last edited:
And why so many hives shoud be open at same time?
Because several beekeepers are inspecting their bees at the same time. Says so in OP.

I can't see a problem, they'll all be disorientated to some extent and will just want to get home. If they get mixed up a bit it's probably no different from a normally busy flying day.

Sorry peeps, this is the beginners section and with the flow coming to an end with many supers still full on the hives it is all too easy to set off a robbing spree. I had this experience a few weeks back with only one hive open and it was not pleasant, especially when working the hives on your own! Some notable people keep entrance blocks in all summer to reduce the risk of robbing, so I don’t think it is ok to tell newbies that there is no probs with opening multiple hives.
As for the picture presented with no explanation. These bees have been cleared out of the supers with a bee blower, we are talking commercial New Zealand beeks here, and yes they were understandably dazed.
With all due respect, not everything done in association apiaries are best practice.

especially when working the hives on your own!

well that's the whole point which you seem to have missed - the OP is not working on his own:

We have three hives located inline, with a space of one metre/one yard between them. Over the weekends inspection, we had all three hives open at the same time between three beeks,

I teach beginners (here and overseas)This is the beginners section and as such we should be giving sound advice not some old twaddle based on scanty information just because we want to make a noise.
As usual you make a big thing about the picture - take it in context it was meant as an aside, nothing more.

Latest posts

Back