Legal limits on keeping bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is just so stupid.

If there are no wasp nests on the premises why should the owner be liable for any wasps that happen to be there and sting people that flap at them?

ANSWER. They aren't.

If there are wasp nests on the premises they can have them destroyed.

Wasps sting when they "feel threatened", don't bother them and they won't bother you and keep a sensible distance from any nest.

What a load of scaremongering.

Chris

This isn't about scaremongering.

It's about exercising proper duty of care.

A purveyor of food in an alfresco environment has a duty of care to make the environment 'reasonably' safe for their patrons.

The majority of people do not get stung because they've been 'flapping' at wasps. They get stung because wasps enter their coke cans and drinks bottles unbeknown to them, they land on the reverse side of cups and ice creams, they land on kiddies faces whilst they're eating food, they land on benches and seats and plates and food trays, they get into the folds of peoples clothes, into hair, they get into trash etc etc etc. and we inadvertently come into contact with them and during the sweet feeding part of the season they do not have the energy to avoid us and so we get stung.

The duty of care that the purveyor has is to reduce the number of wasps in the area to a minimum (not an absolute but a minimum). If there is technology available which is able to reduce wasp numbers by 95% plus (and I'm not talking about a single device but a holistic pest management system) and the purveyor fails to use the technology or an equivalently effective technology, then they have a case to answer for failing to take reasonable steps to protect their patrons. Much like a restauranteur who fails to put down cockroach traps when they have a known cockroach infestation.

And as for nests then there's two things. Wasps are known to fly up to two miles to find food and there can be as many as 1000 wasp nests per square mile. This equates to something like 12,500 wasp nests that are capable of contributing nuisane wasps to any given location. Eradicating the odd nest isn't going to cut it. Secondly, if the nest is treated at the wrong time in the wasp's life cycle and in the wrong way, then the process of treating the nest may generate more nuisance wasps which will increase the risk of people being stung in the very environments in which they need to be protected.

Last edited:
Not really the same thing in fact nothing like the same thing. In all my entire life I have hardly been pestered by wasps or hornets despite getting very up close and friendly with them, they just look at you. It's the flappers that get them selves in trouble every time and with everything and it's encouraged by those that profit.

Cool is the rule as it is with bee keeping, a steady calm confident approach to life, oh and lots of patience.

I find this whole "wasp" thing to be blown completely out of proportion both with risks to bees and to people and at least I speak from plenty of experience, it's all pathetic in my not at all humble opinion. Better idea and healthier all round would be to prohibit sugary sticky foods and drinks from public place and theme parks, but of course there's that profit motif again.

Food safety in shops is naf all to do with wasps, that's just plain silly.

Chris

you havent ruled accidental encounters where there was no intended threat or "flapping" but the wasps take umbrage. e.g. accidental destruction of a wasp nest. I did that as a Youth clearing some ground. These days it would have been a blue flashing light job.

No wonder the NHS is collapsing under the burden of all these people seeking treatment for wasp stings plus all the health issues connected with drinking crap drinks and eating dodgy food.:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Chris, in favour of more common sense and less sensational scaremongering.

Hmm like years ago when a burglar decided against breaking in to Brynmair, jumped off the balcony and ran away (must have heard me cocking the Thomas Wilde goose gun - lovely noise)
Bonehead turned up, pointed at our wrought iron railings and said - 'lucky he didn't fall on thse or you'd have been in real trouble' :eek:

you havent ruled accidental encounters where there was no intended threat or "flapping" but the wasps take umbrage. e.g. accidental destruction of a wasp nest. I did that as a Youth clearing some ground. These days it would have been a blue flashing light job.

I must mention I couldnt proceed with my holiday for 2 days because I was so ill after getting not one but a lot of stings as the colony of wasps piled into me.

Hmm like years ago when a burglar decided against breaking in to Brynmair, jumped off the balcony and ran away (must have heard me cocking the Thomas Wilde goose gun - lovely noise)
Bonehead turned up, pointed at our wrought iron railings and said - 'lucky he didn't fall on thse or you'd have been in real trouble' :eek:

Oh no you wouldn't.

Back