Legal limits on keeping bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but they vacuum their garden every morning

Now that's more than a bit weird!, a quick comb every morning to make sure all the grass is laying the same way, but vacuuming! - not more than once a month, to coincide with the house! - and just before bath night!

Last edited:
but they vacuum their garden every morning
perhpas they're cleaning up all those little brown specks that keep appearing on thier grass!!!!!
that they knowest not from where they cometh.

The case you cite above with the bird crapping is not negligence on your part but if, for example, a neighbour informs you that your bees are flying through a hole in your fence and harming him and you don't do anything about it then you are negligent. I did meet someone who was forced to move hives from his garden because he had not undertaken bee keeping courses after he was ordered to by a council. By his not complying he was deemed negligent by the legal definition.

Yet more stuff and nonsense about negligence. RAB sometimes feels he's banging his head against a brick wall in advising us on the fundamentals of beekeeping. I have the same feeling when this sort of post comes up.

It may be a nuisance, but it would not be negligence.

[QUOTE=derekm
they vacuum their garden every morning!!!

Can't see the problem. I vacuum my horses' paddock every three days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivor Kemp
The case you cite above with the bird crapping is not negligence on your part but if, for example, a neighbour informs you that your bees are flying through a hole in your fence and harming him and you don't do anything about it then you are negligent. I did meet someone who was forced to move hives from his garden because he had not undertaken bee keeping courses after he was ordered to by a council. By his not complying he was deemed negligent by the legal definition.

I would have thought the entire fandango would be subject to challenge. Ordered to take bee-keeping courses? What on earth has happened there? Has everyone gone completely bonkers?

Time a few more people stood their ground and stopped being wimps.

Chris

Chris Luck;344488What on earth has happened there? Has everyone gone completely bonkers? Time a few more people stood their ground and stopped being wimps. Chris[/QUOTE said:
That's what happens when we follow american trends and let ambulance chasing lawyers sue the pants of anyone for the slightest mishap

but do you have little ornamental box trees in planters and gravel and pavers instead of a front garden and lift them on to bench , trim them with scissors and vacuum cleaner....

Come on now Derek - you must admit that there's nothing so pleasing than the sight of a neatly trimmed box! :eek:

That's what happens when we follow american trends and let ambulance chasing lawyers sue the pants of anyone for the slightest mishap

but they are not suing anybody its largely an urban myth...

its excuse nr 2 for inaction.

Information excuse (i.e. i dont want to tell you)

1: Data protection act
2: Human rights
3: National security
4:Subjudice

In actione excuses(I dont want to/ I dont want you to take action):
1: Health and Safety
2: Danger of Litigation
3: Not trained

I would have thought the entire fandango would be subject to challenge. Ordered to take bee-keeping courses? What on earth has happened there? Has everyone gone completely bonkers?

Time a few more people stood their ground and stopped being wimps.

Chris, if someone is making a nuisance of themselves because they are trying to keep bees and clearly don't have a clue what they are doing, they could simply be served an Abatement Order. However, a softer option might be to say that one of the conditions for you being allowed to continue to keep bees is that you get some proper training - thus 'ordered' to train or else get rid of them.

Believe it or not, in the UK nowadays one can be ordered to take a "Speed Awareness Course" after being caught speeding ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20384272

Hmmm, perhaps that's why I'm here. Not that France is anything to write home about, far from it, but there is a lot of space which allows for minimum contact and therefore minimum friction......

.....perhaps that's why I come on here????

Chris

but they are not suing anybody its largely an urban myth...

its excuse nr 2 for inaction.

Information excuse (i.e. i dont want to tell you)

1: Data protection act
2: Human rights
3: National security
4:Subjudice

In actione excuses(I dont want to/ I dont want you to take action):
1: Health and Safety
2: Danger of Litigation
3: Not trained

Good man. Well said. I've made my views on the myth of the compensation culture known on this forum before.

JBM is clearly a Daily Mail reader.

Chris, if someone is making a nuisance of themselves because they are trying to keep bees and clearly don't have a clue what they are doing, they could simply be served an Abatement Order. However, a softer option might be to say that one of the conditions for you being allowed to continue to keep bees is that you get some proper training - thus 'ordered' to train or else get rid of them.

Believe it or not, in the UK nowadays one can be ordered to take a "Speed Awareness Course" after being caught speeding ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20384272

I did that course just the other day. Not ordered. It is voluntary. If you choose not to go, you get the 3 points on your licence for breaking the law. Fairy muff. Nice to have the choice in my opinion.

but they are not suing anybody its largely an urban myth... <snip>

If only it was a myth. I'm currently being sued by someone who 'claimed' to have been hit by a partially lowered roller shutter door (manual type with fitted rubber protection 'bumpers' descending at approx 1m per 7 seconds) and who claimed to get a whip lash injury as a result despite the fact that they were no where near the door when it descended!

I was wondering if there are any licensing or planning restrictions in having beehives at home? Do different councils have any limitations?

Most of urban England is designated as "smoke control zones" and smokers aren't in the exempt appliance list. Whilst it seems to be largely ignored (otherwise we'd never get to use BBQs, fire pits and chimineas..) a council could probably use it against a beekeeper -you could probably get round it by using alternatives to smoke.

For more info check here:
http://smokecontrol.defra.gov.uk/

Most of urban England is designated as "smoke control zones" and smokers aren't in the exempt appliance list. Whilst it seems to be largely ignored (otherwise we'd never get to use BBQs, fire pits and chimineas..) a council could probably use it against a beekeeper -you could probably get round it by using alternatives to smoke.

For more info check here:
http://smokecontrol.defra.gov.uk/
:rules:
Smoke control applies to smoke emitting from a chimney. Generaly domestic fires are limited to no more than ten minutes of dark smoke in an hour. Factory/industrial chimneys ar covered by other rules. Bonfires/garden waste fires are covered by different rules again. Bbqs. don't have chimneys :sifone: though Chimenea's do and so technically speaking should not emit more than ten minutes of black smoke in every hour when you set fire to the stuff you are trying to cook.:paparazzi::party::biggrinjester::icon_204-2:

Last edited:
a neighbour informs you that your bees are flying through a hole in your fence and harming him and you don't do anything about it then you are negligent

So would you only be negligent if it is your fence? and not negligent if they flew into his garden over or thro his gateway? or into his garden anyway other than from your garden?

Certainly not - never forgiven them for supporting the Fascists in the 1930's
So much for a 'myth' is that why we're constantly bombarded by their adverts on TV?

Until advertising was permitted, the only people who knew they could claim for injuries were those who knew a solicitor through the golf club or lodge, or who were in a union. I've not forgotten that in the 1980s I gave a ride to a hitchhiker who told me about his motorbike accident, caused by two motorists having a race. He spent some time in intensive care and lost a year's income. He said the insurers for the offending driver paid up for his written off bike very quickly. No-one told him he could claim for his injuries or lost income. Fortunately he was just within the three year limitation period.
Advertising has changed this, though still only about 70% of those entitled to claim do so.

Yes, there are spurious attempts to claim. We try to weed them out. I don't enjoy spending a lot of time and effort on a claim that I'm not going to win. I need a better than evens chance. And yes, some people who have suffered a genuine injury exaggerate their symptoms, just as some victims of burglaries exaggerate their losses. The doctors try to spot these.

The majority of the adverts you see on telly, and all the cold calls, are from "claims management companies" who try to find claimants and then sell their details to the likes of me. Since April, that's calmed down as we're no longer allowed to pay for cases. I'm pleased about that, as it led to the growth of a parasite industry that will hopefully now die. But I'm also pleased that many more people know that they can have recompense for injury and the loss that goes with it. And solicitors will need to continue advertising, as they day of the family solicitor has gone, and we're fighting each other for work. Blame the consumer lobby for this. We didn't want it.

Unfortunately the insurance companies have deep pockets to pay for disinformation to be fed to the media, and they have MPs, including ministers, in their pockets. You can't have missed all that is being printed about whiplash claims at the moment. And yet you'll know, if anyone has ever driven into the back of your car, how debilitating a pain in the neck can be , whether it lasts for a month or a year.

And don't expect the insurance companies to act fairly in settling your claim if you don't have any knowledge of the correct level of damages, and all that you're entitled to claim for.

Finally, the law relating to injury claims hasn't changed significantly since I started in the game in the 70s. A claimant still has to prove that the defendant was negligent or in breach of a duty toward him, and prove the damage he suffered as a result. The silly cases you read about in the yellow press are fliers, planted for the publicity and quietly dropped a little way down the line.

JMB, I may have defamed you by suggesting you were a Mail reader. That's certainly something that could cause right thinking members of society to hold you in ridicule, hatred or contempt. I get my apology in now, before you dash off to see a solicitor.

End of overlong, off-topic rant.

If only it was a myth. I'm currently being sued by someone who 'claimed' to have been hit by a partially lowered roller shutter door (manual type with fitted rubber protection 'bumpers' descending at approx 1m per 7 seconds) and who claimed to get a whip lash injury as a result despite the fact that they were no where near the door when it descended!

Is he suing you, or simply threatening to? Doubtless you're insured. Your insurance company will only pay up if he proves both liability and injury. If they stand firm, he'll have to convince a judge.

And I've no doubt that his perception of the facts differs from yours.

Latest posts

Back