Honey Show Savoury Recipe

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Does anyone have any suggestions for the savoury cookery section of a honey show they can share.

Stumped for ideas this year and trying to think of something other that the honey glazed chicken or sausage option that everyone (in my BKA) seems to go for

TVM

Does anyone have any suggestions for the savoury cookery section of a honey show they can share.

Stumped for ideas this year and trying to think of something other that the honey glazed chicken or sausage option that everyone (in my BKA) seems to go for

TVM

pargyle is a big fan of honey-glazed carrots. He's told us on several occasions...

If you want to stay away from the honey-glazed type stuff (though it can be very nice on salmon or prawns as well as chicken and sausages), then something I fancy trying is gorgonzola and honey bruschetta, perhaps to go with a honey and carrot soup.

James

pargyle is a big fan of honey-glazed carrots. He's told us on several occasions...

If you want to stay away from the honey-glazed type stuff (though it can be very nice on salmon or prawns as well as chicken and sausages), then something I fancy trying is gorgonzola and honey bruschetta, perhaps to go with a honey and carrot soup.

James
Yes, that does sound good. Just did a trawl of the internet and found this: Fig Bruschetta with Honey and Gorgonzola Butter which I'm going to give a try

I found a recipe for feta cheese baked with honey. Lovely with crackers.(not the Christmas type)

I found a recipe for feta cheese baked with honey. Lovely with crackers.(not the Christmas type)
Yes, I've googled and found some too - I'll try them out as it looks delicious - but no good for our show as it needs to be served hot and this will sit on the table for at least an hour....

TVM
We always glaze our Parsnips with honey.😋

This is solved with a little post-editing and two dishes so that one is ahead of the other by about 45 minutes if the time is 1 hour. If the dish is good (as good as British cuisine can give😋) there will be no problem for the recording and production team to avoid the loss of a hot meal.🥳🍺
Yes, I've googled and found some too - I'll try them out as it looks delicious - but no good for our show as it needs to be served hot and this will sit on the table for at least an hour....

TVM
This book is pretty good and written by a beek:
Honey: Recipes From a Beekeeper's Kitchen
https://amzn.eu/d/0bRsA0u

Thanks - the pannacotta looks interesting and might make the cut for my sweet entry
My wife now tells me a pannacotta might not do well on the table for 2 hours..... Investigating Mary Berry Granola bars. Not quite the same but pretty robust. My second entry will be this forum's favourite fudge

My wife now tells me a pannacotta might not do well on the table for 2 hours..... Investigating Mary Berry Granola bars. Not quite the same but pretty robust. My second entry will be this forum's favourite fudge
My Association recently asked entrants to their honey show to make a Baklava as a more involved sweet dish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baklava
There's loads of recipes for it online, and you can cheat by using shop bought filo pastry if you don't fancy making it from scratch..

My Association recently asked entrants to their honey show to make a Baklava as a more involved sweet dish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baklava
There's loads of recipes for it online, and you can cheat by using shop bought filo pastry if you don't fancy making it from scratch..
Yes, I might try it - there is a recipe in the book moobee recommended

This is solved with a little post-editing and two dishes so that one is ahead of the other by about 45 minutes if the time is 1 hour. If the dish is good (as good as British cuisine can give😋) there will be no problem for the recording and production team to avoid the loss of a hot meal.🥳🍺
Haha, if we ever meet I'll serve you roast beef and true Yorkshire pudding with roasties. You will never complain about British cuisine again :) It's not the kind of show you are thinking - it's our association honey show. Whatever I make will have sat at home for at least an hour then at least another hour on the showbench....

Haha, if we ever meet I'll serve you roast beef and true Yorkshire pudding with roasties. You will never complain about British cuisine again :) It's not the kind of show you are thinking - it's our association honey show. Whatever I make will have sat at home for at least an hour then at least another hour on the showbench....
So it's more of a game of cooking something with honey and we decide who wins.
As has been indicated, the 2 hours are the exhibition time between presentation and tasting to decide the winner, therefore there are at least three elements that are important:
-1. The sauce should be slightly acidic in its presentation phase.
-2. The main element is lightly cooked, with a smoky or salty touch and served cold so that time tempers the dish.
-3.The accompaniments work against it although toasted bread, cheese and whole fruits can be an acceptable resource.

Latest posts

Back