All Queens Dead At Once

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi everyone. I have five hives in the mountains of Switzerland at around 1200m, and the weather is still amazing, with temps around 10 degrees at night, and in the mid 20s during the day. Despite the apparent bliss, all five of the queen's seem to have disappeared and there is no brood in any of the frames (I have been away for a month). Does anyone have any idea what the hell is going on? The hives are full of bees, most of them have good stock of honey and pollen, and yet not a single sign of a queen or brood. I am utterly stumped. Is there a disease that only hits queens? How can all the queens be gone at the same time? Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas about the situation? Do I need to take some specific steps before putting new queens in? Would love anyone to enlighten me as I am totally stumped at the situation.

If there is a lull in forage especially as the days get shorter queens will go off lay. If something had happened to them there would be signs of the bees trying to replace them. I’d go with the others. Get a vape in and you’re done till next year.

Thanks for the quick reply....I wasn't aware that queen's actually go through periods where they stop laying eggs. Could you tell me more?
It may help if you tell us more about your area and forage availability, as others have suggested with all five queens (missing) they are likely on a break. If how ever you have late forage available and pollen going into the hives a brood break is less likely.

If there is a lull in forage especially as the days get shorter queens will go off lay. If something had happened to them there would be signs of the bees trying to replace them. I’d go with the others. Get a vape in and you’re done till next year.
Thank you, it's good to learn something new as I had never had this situation before. It certainly relaxes me a bit as I thought I had some new queen bee disease that was infesting the hives. I'll be patient and see what happens. How long do the off-lay periods usually last?

It may help if you tell us more about your area and forage availability, as others have suggested with all five queens (missing) they are likely on a break. If how ever you have late forage available and pollen going into the hives a brood break is less likely.
We are on a decently forested area interspersed with many open grass areas. It's known to be a particularly 'nature friendly' area with no industry. Swiss cattle are the most active parts of the region. In all, the area is superb for bees with plenty of water and mixed flora. Three of the hives have good stores, most with half a super full, and the other two have a medium amount of stores in the brood box only. Thinking of your points, I am wondering whether the good weather has actually delayed the onset of the next batch of flora....

As others have said the queens are their somewhere and have gone off lay, one can give them a good feed to induce laying again.
Also if the demeanour of the hives is the same then their is little to worry about , the lack of any Qc's or emergency Qc's will also back up the scenario that they are queen right and some where she is present but taking a rest.

the good weather has actually delayed the onset of the next batch of flora
More likely to have advanced flowering, surely? I agree with the others that the queen is off-lay, but to confirm that this is due to lack of forage, would you tell us what is in flower in your area this week?

late forage available and pollen going into the hives a brood break is less likely.
This info. will be the last part of your jigsaw.

Latest posts

Back