Flow hive forum

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
of course, lucky I married a yorkshire lass, she can translate for me:icon_204-2:

It might say Yorkshire in my Profile, but I'm from Down South, I'm a Southern Fairy from Devon/Cornish border.... and before that Bristol...

I'm a nomad....

My Lover!

The National hive footprint would fit 8 flow frames. One beekeeping supplier who would benefit from this would be M Lake and their national hybrids, I can see it now.

:thanks:Mark / Pete for moving this thread. I'm sure there are a lot on here that are interested in this topic ( I wouldn't want to buy one but just interested )and it would be buried in the main forum.

I see there is a thread about theft of the flow frames. If the flow team could put individual serial numbers on the frames there would be traceability via the flow team and bee inspectors. Adds to cost but I believe it can be done without allowing serial numbers to be filed off.

If somebody got this, write his first impressions here:) i am very interested :D i am a huge technology fan , in everything, so i can't wait for real beekeepers first impressions :D

Propolis and the Flow frames, my bees this year are propolsing everything, the hives sticky with the stuff everywhere, I may have to resort to using vaseline.

Maybe because it's been cold, or cold winds.

I've never seen so much Propolis, I think I'll have to start harvesting it....and selling it to the face cream industry...

anyway I think this has been said, does Propolis "gum up" the flow frames.

anyway I think this has been said, does Propolis "gum up" the flow frames.

as no one has used them yet it's a bit hard to say for sure, but my bees have never added propolis to areas of wax and honey, so cant see it happening now, on the video of the flow frame being empties you can see propolis around the edges same as we get on wooden frames

only time will tell

I have reserved £50 for a secondhand one...

If you were doing an event of some sort, selling honey etc how much more honey would you sell and how much could you sell an 8OZ jar for that you had just shown dribbling from the comb in front of the massed crowd?

And then how easy would it be to refill for a repeat performance :rolleyes: !!

If you were doing an event of some sort, selling honey etc how much more honey would you sell and how much could you sell an 8OZ jar for that you had just shown dribbling from the comb in front of the massed crowd?

Now that is such a good idea ... but let's think laterally. You insert a plastic container in the middle of a normal frame, couple of sheets of foundation to hide the container, get your bees to build out some comb on the outside and fill it with honey ... then hole in the side of the frame with a tap on it ... secret hole in the top bar to allow you to refill the plastic container (not in public of course) ... Few jars of Aldi £1.49 honey to stock it up ...

Bring your own jar and get honey straight from the hive ... I reckon you could double or even treble your normal selling price ... once you have a few dozen frames you won't even need to KEEP bees anymore ...

HOT HONEY (Honey On Tap) .. I commend the idea to the house ... who wants to keep bees and faff around with all that extraction nonsense ...???

I take an observation hive, a hive with full super of honey to the event, with my jars which have already been labelled. (and boxes in the car).

open jars for people to taste, and invite people to sample honey directly from the frame!

I sell out, and have to write peoples name for deliveries!

Works for me.... no gimmicks..

observation hive pulls them in, and the taste test works....people by two or three jars at a time. (12oz hex), I also do set and runny honey in 12oz jars), in a small hesian bag. Customers love it for gifts.

Your set up sounds great and well worth the extra mile.
I was just thinking of something else positive about the flow frame, and not ordering a bulk consignment from China! :nono:

I can imagine an obs hive on a table with honey dripping into a trough at the bottom....................

and every so often the "operator" cranks a handle which pumps the honey back to the top again...

sounds like between you all there's a crowd funding business opportunity here. lol

Flow Hive 2037!

sounds like between you all there's a crowd funding business opportunity here. lol

I want the electronic cloud enabled version of Flow Hive Mk10, which emails or texts me when the frames are full, and then I text it back to start "flowing" and pumping all the honey out of the apiary to the jarring plant, which jars and labels, and then I collect later in my car to take to market.

Do you think that will out for delivery in 2037, because that's when I'll be retired!

But maybe by then, people could visit a "Flow Drive Through" for collect honey on demand, put a £20 note in the drawer and get a jar of honey straight from the hive!

It's a thought - and as we know there's a vast source of mugs out there willing to throw their hard earned cash away at a distant promise

Latest posts

Back