Flow hive forum

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you pour them in from the Jiffy bag they came in..

My mother in law once asked where do I get bees from. I told her they came as a bag of seeds in the post. You pour water into the bag and a couple of minutes later they start popping out like popcorn. She believed me so I had to set her straight once I'd stopped laughing.

My mother in law once asked where do I get bees from. I told her they came as a bag of seeds in the post. You pour water into the bag and a couple of minutes later they start popping out like popcorn. She believed me so I had to set her straight once I'd stopped laughing.

My computer keeps auto correcting bees to beans... has has disastrous consequences on another forum!

Must be a Window's 8 operating glitch!

Yeghes da

I've just signed up the Flow-Hive forum. Just to see what's going on.

FULL marks to 'Dexters Shed' for getting involved.

I have some concerns about the way it was sold, BUT there are going to be lots of new beeks out there that need help.

Again FULL marks for stepping in.

They needed an existing beek to give pointers in the right direction.

If it works great, if it doesn't WE all have to work together to pick up the pieces for the bees benefit.

Looks like the Flow-Hive forum will be a success and in the good hands of Dexter's Shed. I like the idea of hoisting a hive underneath the combs of bees under a branch. I see some on the forum will not advertise the fact they are getting the flow hive.
I wonder how much resistance there was from the skep keepers to move to frames.

I am interested in flow hive too :D i think these guys start to sell their set on ebay soon, then i can buy them for low price:D

I am interested in flow hive too :D i think these guys start to sell their set on ebay soon, then i can buy them for low price:D

You may find the people who are bidding are the ones who find the flow frames easy to use.
After looking at the Flow-Hive forum it is not difficult to work out who is who although they want to remain anonymous.

It's a clever bit of engineering but an astonishingly expensive way to harvest honey. Seems to be about £40 per frame.

You may find the people who are bidding are the ones who find the flow frames easy to use.
After looking at the Flow-Hive forum it is not difficult to work out who is who although they want to remain anonymous.

A bit like the people unscrupulous sellers plant in the crowd at auctions and markets.
"you madam - would you pay five pounds for my all singing all dancing combined potato peeler and patio de-slimer?"
"Ooh yes please young man - here's ten pounds of my meagre old age pension; they're so good I'll take two"​
:D

It's a clever bit of engineering but an astonishingly expensive way to harvest honey. Seems to be about £40 per frame.

an extractor is not cheap, and sieves, filters also and honey buckets. but you can build up to them over years, which is what I've done, by a little at a time.

just seen the online price, total price is $760 too rich for me. that's a big outlay...

$305 for three flow frames, no box, shipped to UK
Works out about £64 per frame.

Good grief.

Collecting the honey was always the easy bit, the biggest expense is I rent a small van for a day to go and pick up the supers; because they make a mess of my car otherwise. That's still cheaper than a flow hive.

when I first saw the adverts, it came across as a hands free way of keeping bees, and I was up in arms the same as most other beekeepers, we had a chat about it at our local bee club and I decided to keep an eye on it, normally I wouldn't pay the sort of money that was being asked, but I had an insurance claim come through, had money burning a hole in my pocket, so took a gamble and ordered some frames only, I thought it would make for a good few talks at the club, as time progressed and more video clips came out it seemed a really good idea, and was thankful when they put out the video of a hive inspection to show buyers there was more to it, I still think there are a few out there that see it as honey on tap, but they will either become a beekeeper or sell the product on, not the product's fault, maybe just the early marketing of it,

having ordered the frames, I still went on and bought an extractor

when I first saw the adverts, it came across as a hands free way of keeping bees, and I was up in arms the same as most other beekeepers, we had a chat about it at our local bee club and I decided to keep an eye on it, normally I wouldn't pay the sort of money that was being asked, but I had an insurance claim come through, had money burning a hole in my pocket, so took a gamble and ordered some frames only, I thought it would make for a good few talks at the club, as time progressed and more video clips came out it seemed a really good idea, and was thankful when they put out the video of a hive inspection to show buyers there was more to it, I still think there are a few out there that see it as honey on tap, but they will either become a beekeeper or sell the product on, not the product's fault, maybe just the early marketing of it,

having ordered the frames, I still went on and bought an extractor

I thought I'd get this in now, can I have the first invitation to your apiary, to see it work in the UK?

Cost is the biggest issue for me, but flow versus extractor cost, but this only buys me a single box.

Latest posts

Back