Feeding Bees – Why? When? Where? How?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to see you admitting that you have no proof to back your 'theories' but with a deft sidestep you just sling the insults back
I would like to express my respect for other members of this forum, and not express my feelings in public, than to get into a slanging match with you. However there is a litany of complaints I could bring, concerning the disrespectful and insulting comments which you have so frequently made against many contributors to this forum. I have expressed disagreement with you on occasions, but have not made the kinds of insulting comments which seem to flow so easily from your pen (well, OK then, your keyboard).

The argument for not using cane sugar was more about it being in some way toxic for bees, for me it’s a plus not to have to import from Europe.

Tate & Lyle was of course one of our best British companies only sold recently to the Americans (2010)

The argument for not using cane sugar was more about it being in some way toxic for bees, for me it’s a plus not to have to import from Europe.

Tate & Lyle was of course one of our best British companies only sold recently to the Americans (2010)
...not that long ago really; it's only a few years before that when the whole of America was British.;)

Wasn’t that just another internet theory that some sandal wearers came up with rather like bakers fondant.

Hemo concluded his comment with the words: “ . . . should this damn rain cease”. Let me gently suggest, Hemo, that you avoid such extreme language. The Arabs have a proverb, based on experience, which says “All sunshine and no rain make a desert.

Well I'll be damned, now I'm being told what I can and can't say. I don't think so.
Is bugger also not allowed.

If not happy simply use the ignore button, it matters little to moi.

Last edited:
The reasons people are vigorously responding include that the topic has been addressed many times on this forum, as you are well aware (and appear to have ignored the conclusions drawn), and what you are saying is subjective not authoritative despite being presented as the latter in a relatively condescending style (I do not think this is intended), hence people have rebuked it- generally fairly.

With this, just call a spade a spade. The beauty of language is that you do not need to state that you think sugar cake is best for us to understand that is what you are saying- you quite clearly list perceived disadvantages of all other sugar feeding methods while stating perceived advantages of your proposed method. You then took umbrage at those who contradicted you. That in itself is clear.

As you said, from your original post:

I have come to the conclusion that this kind of sugar cake may have more advantages than other methods of feeding sugar to bees.

In itself this is a statement that you think sugar cake is better, however much you qualify it and pretend that's not what you're saying.

You then posted:

If I just said that I think that sugar cakes were best, without giving reasons why, you might be entitled to ask for my reasons.

Which quite clearly shows that you do think sugar cakes are best, and that you are trying to say so with your posts.

Equally, if you do not think sugar cakes are best but it's just something you like using then just come out and say so- but don't expect validation. Typing a whole lot of bumf and then blustering about it makes me lean towards JBMs style; yes he can be acerbic but he is fairly well informed and generally shows respect when it is earned rather than when it's demanded. I imagine if I'd been a contributing member of a forum for a decade and the same topics kept coming up and being selectively rehashed, I'd probably be similar...

Good heavens those stories.
EU uses sugar beet because EU wants to do so. EU takes huge taxes from cane sugar. EU does not want Brasilian cheap beef, because it supports its own cattle farming.

In Britain and in EU sugar beet are same. Sugar cane does not grow in Britain.

I have nursed bees 60 years and I have never heard that cane sugar has been toxic to bees. Molasses is toxic.

Well the comment about Bill fell on stoney ground. We used to have a member called Eltalia who posted in a very similar fashion.

I looked up some of Eltalia's posts and realise that someone with the same written style appeared on some Facebook pages a while ago. That person had a definite bee in their bonnet about "lolly-water"and has been widely outlawed. It's odd that the friction on this thread is roughly over the same subject. I'm sure the two posters and their intentions are entirely different. It does seem pointless to debate who said what or how they should say it. I think @understanding_bees must be harming his blood pressure every time he logs on; it's a shame because he is clearly a very constructive and practical person judged by the less didactic posts he has made here.

Last edited:
But all I saw was a lecture about how sugar 'cakes' were far superior to anything else,

I got into my mind to look from google sigar cake revipes. Yes, they are plenty.

I remember old basic recipe.
1 part eggs
1 part sugar
1 part wheat flour

Whip first eggs and sugar to foam and add slowly the flour.

Last edited:
I looked up some of Eltalia's posts and realise that someone with the same written style appeared on some Facebook pages a while ago. That person had a definite bee in their bonnet about "lolly-water"and has been widely outlawed. It's odd that the friction on this thread is roughly over the same subject. I'm sure the two posters and their intentions are entirely different. It does seem pointless to debate who said what or how they should say it. I think @understanding_bees must be harming his blood pressure every time he logs on; it's a shame because he is clearly a very constructive and practical person judged by the less didactic posts he has made here.
Thank you Beebe for your comments. My blood pressure is OK.

There are people from the South who delight in winding up the Limeys. When I ran rooms in Paltalk (voice chat) they were a bother but on that system one click and they were banned.

PH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back