Advice please if you can

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry I'm late to reply as the deed is done.
As you have an "unapproachable" hive I'd have been inclined to give the failing queen a small patch of brood and a few shakes of nurse bees to tide her on for a few weeks. Then when there are more drones about dispatch your "unapproachable" queen and give them any frame with eggs from the failing queen, then go through a week later leaving them with just one or two of her queen cells.
Then accept that she's failing (unless any surprises), cull & shake out.

I looked in to vaping. It looking terrifying! Plus I can't park my car anywhere near the hives and the machines were beyond comprehension. I think I would need someone who does it themselves to show me how to do it. I'm better in person than watching scary stuff on Youtube etc.
Vaping is very easy, ideally instantvap (though pricy) though gasvap is a good intro but takes a bit more fiddling - not a biggie for a few hives.

If Bath is the wrong direction for you, I'm sometimes over Salisbury way (we may be moving there in the next year or two) so can potentially also meet up to demo. It looks dramatic but isn't that hard. I've started using a Gasvap which makes it easier than with a car battery.

I looked in to vaping. It looking terrifying! Plus I can't park my car anywhere near the hives and the machines were beyond comprehension. I think I would need someone who does it themselves to show me how to do it. I'm better in person than watching scary stuff on Youtube etc.
Imv the least expensive and simplest vape route is a vape pan, a small lithium battery and a phone /watch as a timer . The battery only needs to be a 12v power source so any 4ah - 10ah wll work and typically pocket size.

The pan type needs approx. 3mins to warm and sublimate the OA and then turning off and a few mins cooling time to allow all fumes to dissipate. Safest of all applications imv as one can simply walk away a short distance up wind .

Last edited:
If Bath is the wrong direction for you, I'm sometimes over Salisbury way (we may be moving there in the next year or two) so can potentially also meet up to demo. It looks dramatic but isn't that hard. I've started using a Gasvap which makes it easier than with a car battery.
I use gasvap too. Really easy. Shared the investment between a few beek friends. Very happy with it & the effects of winter treatments. 🦀❌

Small 12v lithium battery isn't heavy typically around 500/600g .
I disliked the gasvap as over time I found subliminated particles were settling over my beesuit etc,etc.

How near are you to Bath? I vape my bees and would be happy to show you the ropes. I don’t have vehicle access either at my apiaries, so I use a small mobility scooter battery which I can carry in a shopping bag. Emily
Hi Emily. Thank you so much that’s incredibly kind. And yes I’ll jump at the chance to learn. I’m About an hour away, however occasionally I do have to go to Bath for family stuff. Perhaps we could arrange something? I’m not sure how to message you privately as I’m sure no one here wants to read us blabbing about times, dates and locations!!

Love to learn if you are ever Salisbury way. Def move here, it’s really lovely. Done 16 years of Wiltshire heaven!

Back