Do you have VSH Queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cubital index is still recognised as a tool to differentiate sub species?

No it is not on the DNA era.

And Buckfas is not only "artificial bee species" formed by crossings.

For example Argentina has Africanised bees" who have African genes from North Africa, like from Egypt and Marocco.

As if by magic.........blenhiem seems to hold truly wild English bees, still waiting on genetic analysis but the cubital index seems to back it up 💁‍♂️.
There are no Laws of Biology and the ratio/measurements of only two distances of the wing vein segments render the 'cubital index' as relatively imprecise. At best it might be suggestive.

There are no Laws of Biology and the ratio/measurements of only two distances of the wing vein segments render the 'cubital index' as relatively imprecise. At best it might be suggestive.
suggestive of what? Amm? like the Amm that every other beekeeper seems to be buying in queens of for their managed colonies the last few years - some even from abroad

suggestive of what? Amm? like the Amm that every other beekeeper seems to be buying in queens of for their managed colonies the last few years - some even from abroad
To discriminate between honey bee subspecies. They failed to mention whether the Alpatov or Goetze variation was used nor was the result shared. I'm guessing they used Ruttner's work as a reference.

since when was Devon a county in Venezuela?
Now Now, even if you see inconsistencies in an argument surely we can all agree that buckfast bees, by their own design, are far from native bees by anyone's criteria, even if the name relates to a village in Devon.

To discriminate between honey bee subspecies. They failed to mention whether the Alpatov or Goetze variation was used nor was the result shared. I'm guessing they used Ruttner's work as a reference.

I suspect the methodology went something like:

"Oooh, these bees look quite dark in a certain light. Let me get my ruler out and squint a bit. Job done, let's email the Guardian and cc in Greta!"

I'd guess greed, it's cheaper to buy in foreign bees and forget about the ecosystem and native bees when they can make more money? This is how we've ended up with the varroa problem to start with after all?
So commercial beekeepers are greedy, I can assure you if they were greedy they probably wouldn’t be beeks. How about the fact that many of these imports from reputable breeders provide decent bees that often out preform local mongrels. Not to mention the fact that we have few proper breeders of queens in the uk, and many that we do have operate with none uk queens.

that buckfast bees, by their own design, are far from native bees by anyone's criteria, even if the name relates to a village in Devon.

As I understand, buckfast is native to England.
They do not have other home coutry.

Last edited:
Yes, the key is "still waiting on genetic analysis"

The article is unscientific nonsense from beginning to end, as has been discussed on another thread on here today. Essentially it's a PR job put out by Blenheim, and swallowed by the Guardian.
TOTALLY AGREE

Of course, the story was published before scientific analysis.
IF the analysis came back and said it was all spherical objects, there would be no story.

So at present it's all mouth and no trousers.

Roger Patterson wrote 2013 in BIBBA, that water of English canal rised after Ice Ace and it isolated English Black bee from European honeybees. Since that Native bee has developed in isolation in its own way.

English canal's narrovest point is nowadays 30 km .
A speed of fast flying honeybee is 25 km/ hour.
Is it possible to bees to flye over English canal even today?
My understanding is that bees avoid flying over water as it featureless. They have problems navigating.

My understanding is that bees avoid flying over water as it featureless. They have problems navigating.

I put into text as a joke. I do not know, are the bees or swarm able to fly 1 hour continuously.

Writings about British native bee history are far from science.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back