Do you have VSH Queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran into two issues almost immediately with this 'paper'. The first was I noted its publication date, hopefully the UK has moved on /learnt more since then. The other arose from the summary which made me think that whatever the whole paper may say it was prejudged/flawed from the outset.

I quote “ Varroa Sensitive Hygiene (VSH) is a trait of honey bees, Apis mellifera, that supports resistance to Varroa destructor mites. Components of VSH were evaluated to identify simple methods for selection of the trait. Mite population growth was measured in colonies with variable levels of VSH in two field trials using 24 and 16 colonies. Mite population growth was significantly lower in VSH and hybrid colonies than in control (i.e., unselected) colonies.”

Of course I might simply be very sensitive to the choice of words.

I think the link I posted in the other thread contained a bit more recent info, and the numbers of colonies used in this is quite small. I’m sure if B+ was here he would provide some links to various canica groups work. It’s clear within a closed mating environment hygienic traits can be found and I’m sure we will see more and more adverts for queens that are raised from II or island mated bees expressing these traits. It’s clear though once open mating occurs traits are easily lost. Just another reason why looking up trees is futile in comparison to these programs.

No I didn't read it again before you waste my time, I said the hygienic gene wastes the bees energy in nature. I did not say anything about propolis you added that for some reason?!
I quoted what you said, so there's no point in denying it. You said "in nature its undesirable". Well, everything is "in nature" so those two words can be removed from your statement without altering the meaning at all. I merely provided a couple of other examples of bee behaviour that consume energy but are not directly related to rearing brood, which by your logic would be undesirable.

It is you that is wasting time. You seem not to understand the principles of logic and inference.

Latest posts

Back