Do you have VSH Queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How can you quote grey squirrels and signal crays as an example of none native species preforming poorly, if anything the reverse is true they’ve preformed to well😂 can you answer my black/dark buckfast question.
I didnt lol I quoted on the invasive species cocking up the ecosystem?!
What was your question I've lost track?

Just because something survives doesn’t mean it’s any good. I wonder why so many commercial operations use imports or queens derived from them if all they wanted was survivors. Why do you think Robin?
I'd guess greed, it's cheaper to buy in foreign bees and forget about the ecosystem and native bees when they can make more money? This is how we've ended up with the varroa problem to start with after all?

America and Australia did
Honey bees have been imported to the whole America and bees do well there. In hot parts of America subspecies scutellata has concured the colonies of European bees. Its brood cyckle is 3 days shorter than that of European bees.

Bees have imported to Australia, to Asia and so on. Surviving has nothing to do with native bees. New Zealand bees have been sold to many places on earth.

Beekeepers of the world have abandoned several races, when some races have developed better and better.
Nt have native bees to be messed up to start with I don't understand your point?
Also from what I've read/YouTubed the native bees of the UK actually outperform imported stock over a decade period due to our maritime climate, again watch the link it explains in there far better than I could as he is a professional and wrote the seminar !

Roger Patterson wrote 2013 in BIBBA, that water of English canal rised after Ice Ace and it isolated English Black bee from European honeybees. Since that Native bee has developed in isolation in its own way.

English canal's narrovest point is nowadays 30 km .
A speed of fast flying honeybee is 25 km/ hour.
Is it possible to bees to flye over English canal even today?
I think the genetic analysis shows they are slightly different, I may be wrong I can't rememeber where I read it

I think that British bee breeding is bonkers. There are no better stuff to make better theories.

And no one mentioned thay the main goal in beekeeping is to get better yields.

Most important is to freeze the bee genes such as they were 150 years ago. They were perfect in those days.
Do you live in Britain?

I think the genetic analysis shows they are slightly different, I may be wrong I can't rememeber where I read it

Surely they are, but not much. You need only look human race, how different they are. And humans have moved place to place. Like in British Isles people have came in up to these days.

Lol why is this derogatory, YouTube is a great platform for watching seminars of actual experts...........try it sometime you might gain abit more understanding before you start throwing clever quotes about. QUOTE="jenkinsbrynmair, post: 797080, member: 5111"]
another yootoob 'expert' then
[/QUOTE]
I think the difficulty that most of us see In you tube js that for every legitimate expert on there there's at least 20 morons who think they know something but are completely wrong... it frustrates me at times that beginners (who in fairness probably don't know enough to sort out the wheat from the chaf) blindly follow some of these, often well made but misleading, videos with disastrous results. We see them on here from time to time and I wince when I hear 'I saw it in you tube'. Its fine if you have the knowledge to ignore the dross but there's a lot of self publicised 'experts' that frankly should not be putting themselves forward with advice that is just based solely on some wacky personal experience without qualifying that is what it is

It's not something confined to beekeeping either . I'm a wood turner and a little while ago, whilst researching for a project, I came across a video where the so called 'professional turner' ( who actually sold woodturning courses) was demonstrating using a tool in a way that it was not only not intended for but what he was doing could have ended with the tool embedded in his forehead ! He has loads of followers and supportive comments - total unbeciile in my opinion.
You tube videos should all carry a health warning .

As if by magic.........blenhiem seems to hold truly wild English bees, still waiting on genetic analysis but the cubital index seems to back it up 💁‍♂️.

I analyzed the size of the forest. It is 1.6 km2.
Flying radius is under 1 km.
There is no possibility, that bees can differiantate to own race. Bees must get food outside the wood and surely drones and queens visit in same drone swarms with surrounding hives.

Any good which could have come from the last few pages was lost the moment the unneeded attack on buckfasts was launched. Knocking one thing doesn't make the other any better.

As if by magic.........blenhiem seems to hold truly wild English bees, still waiting on genetic analysis but the cubital index seems to back it up 💁‍♂️.

Yes, the key is "still waiting on genetic analysis"

The article is unscientific nonsense from beginning to end, as has been discussed on another thread on here today. Essentially it's a PR job put out by Blenheim, and swallowed by the Guardian.

I think the difficulty that most of us see In you tube js that for every legitimate expert on there there's at least 20 morons who think they know something but are completely wrong... it frustrates me at times that beginners (who in fairness probably don't know enough to sort out the wheat from the chaf) blindly follow some of these, often well made but misleading, videos with disastrous results. We see them on here from time to time and I wince when I hear 'I saw it in you tube'. Its fine if you have the knowledge to ignore the dross but there's a lot of self publicised 'experts' that frankly should not be putting themselves forward with advice that is just based solely on some wacky personal experience without qualifying that is what it is

It's not something confined to beekeeping either . I'm a wood turner and a little while ago, whilst researching for a project, I came across a video where the so called 'professional turner' ( who actually sold woodturning courses) was demonstrating using a tool in a way that it was not only not intended for but what he was doing could have ended with the tool embedded in his forehead ! He has loads of followers and supportive comments - total unbeciile in my opinion.
You tube videos should all carry a health warning .
I completely agree, the link I shared was a seminar at the national honey show from a professional.
I'm a plumber and I to have seen terrible advice and practices.

Last edited by a moderator:
I analyzed the size of the forest. It is 1.6 km2.
Flying radius is under 1 km.
There is no possibility, that bees can differiantate to own race. Bees must get food outside the wood and surely drones and queens visit in same drone swarms with surrounding hives.
400 acre estate?

Any good which could have come from the last few pages was lost the moment the unneeded attack on buckfasts was launched. Knocking one thing doesn't make the other any better.
Why that's kind of the whole point, buckfast are none native and don't maintain and survive well without constant intervention from humans?

Yes, the key is "still waiting on genetic analysis"

The article is unscientific nonsense from beginning to end, as has been discussed on another thread on here today. Essentially it's a PR job put out by Blenheim, and swallowed by the Guardian.
Cubital index is still recognised as a tool to differentiate sub species?

magic is right - on a par with Harry Potter when it comes to reality, have you read the article? not much real fact in it to be honest, more like wishful thinking that in an area with a high population of managed honeybees of 57 varieties that a a nest of feral bees he's found just happen to be the bees that time forgot.
Let's discuss fact not fantasy please

400 acre estate?

1 km2 is 100 hectares. (10 x 10 hectares)
1 acre is 0.4 hectares.

If circle's radius is 1 km, the are of circle is 3.14 km2.

If radius of circle is 2 km, area is 12 km2.

If radius is 3 km, the area is about 30 km2.
(9 x 3.14)

Almost a smallholding and it's slap bang in the middle of a populous are of Oxfordshire - not the outer Hebrides

We in Finland make difference with estate and forest . The biggest private forest owner has 9000 hectares = 22 500 acres.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back