Bees not using door

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J13

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
We got our first bees last week. They came in a poly nuc and were using their door well. After transferring them to the beehaus they seem unable to use the door. We fed them due to cold and they seem to be trying to get in and out through the top of the beehaus. We took the top boxes off again and removed the wasp guard but have not seen more that 10 bees use the door. Suggestions please.
Many thanks.

We got our first bees last week. They came in a poly nuc and were using their door well. After transferring them to the beehaus they seem unable to use the door. We fed them due to cold and they seem to be trying to get in and out through the top of the beehaus. We took the top boxes off again and removed the wasp guard but have not seen more that 10 bees use the door. Suggestions please.
Many thanks.

Someone is going to say sell the Beehaus and use a National or one of its variants :hairpull:

We took the top boxes off again and removed the wasp guard but have not seen more that 10 bees use the door. Suggestions please.
Many thanks.

Top boxes?
Do you mean the honey supers?

PS
Sorry, you would have needed these to feed
What you should have is your bees on the frames they came on against the entrance, a frame of foundation added (only one) then some sort of dummy to reduce the space.
You can add foundation a frame at a time as they expand.

Last edited:
I prefer John's suggestion :D

I'm assuming this monstrosity has an underfloor entrance?
Never had an issue with newer bees finding the 'door' on my national underfloor entrances.
My guess, too big a space, too cold, all available bees clustered around what brood there is to protect it so they dont need/want/can't afford to go out.
Where did this nuc come from and how strong was it? maybe it's been transferred too soon. We know there are a few bee sellers out there selling put together nucs that need a lot of TLC before they can realistically be called a colony

Hi...is the Beehaus new? If secondhand......check that the entrance is clear from the inside...nothing blocking it....like a buildup of dead bees brace comb etc.
Also...it is a big volume for a nucleus to occupy....so as suggested....dummy down with insulation such as celotex blocks.....or even a plastic bag of shavings...beyond the follower board. Give them a small space to occupy to begin with....and feed.....through the crown board. You could also reduce the OMF as it is a big open area too.

Last edited:
Someone is going to say sell the Beehaus and use a National or one of its variants :hairpull:

I have an empty Beehaus in my garden that I bought before I had really started to read about beekeeping. Ive cannibalised it for frames and some parts. It's in London if anyone wants to buy it.

I have an empty Beehaus in my garden that I bought before I had really started to read about beekeeping. Ive cannibalised it for frames and some parts. It's in London if anyone wants to buy it.

Can't you line it with celotex and use it to keep your beer cool in the barbecue season? (after all it looks like a giant coolbox on legs :D)?

You need to make sure that the cover boards are on in exactly the right place, otherwise it isn't bee tight.
Don't be put off by people being rude about the hive. I've had one for several years and while it had some faults it is perfectly satisfactory.

Latest posts

Back