A Welsh Flow Hive Harvest

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's quite normal ... but a warming cabinet will fix it - or for small quantities a few minutes in the microwave on 30% power or even the defrost setting will render it liquid again - although I usually just go as far as nearly liquid as my customers seem to prefer a slightly firmer honey to go on their toast.

I would not risk the flow frames with OSR - it goes from liquid to solid in a matter of hours sometimes, even a day can make the difference between extraction and OMG it's set !!

Tbh I left it in the bucket on purpose...to see whether it would crystallise or not considering we didn't have OSR....perhaps they found some or it could be other sources....we had a lot of dandelion, Apple trees, blackthorn, hawthorn.

dandelion crystalises in a shot, as does bramble.

That would be it then...loads of dandelion here in the spring.
I will warm it, seed it and jar it for my Xmas presents...this year it will be small jars! It tastes good when you scrape a slither off the top!

dandelion crystalises in a shot, as does bramble.

Does it?
I always though my honey in Cumbria was Bramble and Rosebay and I have a jar from 2007 that is still clear....must be something else.
But then raspberry crystallises quickly and that's a rose by any other name...same as the blackberry

That would be it then...loads of dandelion here in the spring.
I will warm it, seed it and jar it for my Xmas presents...this year it will be small jars! It tastes good when you scrape a slither off the top!

SLIVER!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrr

Does it?
I always though my honey in Cumbria was Bramble and Rosebay and I have a jar from 2007 that is still clear....must be something else.
But then raspberry crystallises quickly and that's a rose by any other name...same as the blackberry

SLIVER!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrr

Ha ha ha....I saw the auto correct had done that after I posted...then had to rush off to do horse stuff! I knew you would notice.

Icanhopit....you are a very mean man.....why can't you rejoice with me? You made lots of loud posts about what you thought of the Flow frames.....and you were wrong....definitely wrong. Really ...you should now admit you were prejudiced and wrong....very wrong...because they do work and they work exactly like the Flow team said they would....even here in the UK.
You have influenced a lot of beekeepers and potential beekeepers with your sweeping statements about the Flow frames but you were wrong...it's such a pity that you are still wriggling on the hook.
I don't care whether you buy a Flow frame or not. It isn't going to change how beekeepers harvest many hives as it would be ruinously expensive ATM...but who knows about the future? Not in our lifetimes I suspect.
I feel sad that even when presented with the proof that the frames work...you still can't bear to put aside your nastiness to share my enjoyment and experience.....

Just joshing !!

Nos da

Very interesting post Tremyfro - thank you!

Glad to hear you overcame the issue of flooding by patiently turning the key to prevent flow backing up. That's excellent.

How are you going to handle the collection channels before your next harvest?

So what is the point? Really? I've not read all the posts about flow hives, basically I'm not interested but I really would like to know why anyone would consider these anything more than novelty. I gather you stand around the hive with honey pouring into some container (separate jars would be ridiculous) Why?

So what is the point? Really? I've not read all the posts about flow hives, basically I'm not interested but I really would like to know why anyone would consider these anything more than novelty. I gather you stand around the hive with honey pouring into some container (separate jars would be ridiculous) Why?

I supose one advantage is there is no need to buy an extractor, cant think of another

I can see that side of it, to some extent I suppose but what does that mean in practice? Upwards of 100 lbs waiting to be drained off and that still has to be carted off site. Novelty value only AFAIC.

I suppose it depends on how you look at things.....is there any point in wearing makeup...no there isn't. Is there any point in buying the latest Ferrari.....since you cant drive it on the road any faster than 70mph.
However.....those things are fun and so is the Flow. It does have a practical application. You can drain off the honey without disturbing the bees. You don't have to filter the honey. When you have your honey in buckets/jars...you just take the into the house...job done...no clearing up...no mess...no extractor to clean. So far there is nothing to dislike about them....wish I could have more.
Most of the problems people said would happen?....well they simply didn't happen.
When we take the Flow frames off I shall be taking a good look at them. Looking for possible snags for next season ....like pools of honey in the channel for instance. I don't know yet whether or not there will be any problems for future use...I will wait and see.

I suppose it depends on how you look at things..... Is there any point in buying the latest Ferrari.....since you cant drive it on the road any faster than 70mph.

Good analogy - spend a fortune on something which spends most of the time gathering dust in the garage, can only seat two people (unless you have a fleet of them) when the same job can be done with a bog standard family saloon.

The point was missed.
Draining a couple of hundred pounds of honey into buckets, at the apiary doesn't sound like fun. That would take a while, not to mention dodgy hygiene standards involved in open air operation.

The point was missed.
Draining a couple of hundred pounds of honey into buckets, at the apiary doesn't sound like fun. That would take a while, not to mention dodgy hygiene standards involved in open air operation.

Ah...well I don't think the Flow frames would hold that much honey...I can't remember what weights people were getting with full frames...you have to remember...it is only one super and all of the frames may not be ready at the same time....you harvest what is ready.....might be say...3kg...each frame....so 6-7 kg to drain into your bucket whilst you do a few other jobs at your apiary. No hygiene issues if you use plastic tubing and cover the receptacle. Certainly not exposed anymore than any other way of extracting....probably less.
I don't understand why you are just looking for things to complain about. We spent a short time sitting enjoying the sunshine and listening to the bees...we could have busied ourselves but just enjoying the experience seemed to be enough for the first time.

Latest posts

Back