what would you do ???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anything in there about work being dangerous and I should be paid to stay at home?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

I have to laugh to myself at the logic of the proposed dynamic risk assessment. I've been making DRA's for nearly 60 years with some success and can't think that I've ever come to the conclusion that the outcome of my actions would be someone "pounding my head in". You obviously don't know me.

And for the avoidance of doubt, I don't remember saying that my grandkids don't have access to protection. I do encourage them to make their own DRA's though.

so you reckon that everyone on this forum has no hives in their gardens, and keep their bees isolated and away from passers by, if we sit at our computers looking for all the risks in this world, we can make anything sound scary and those that do it irresponsible, in fact your reply made me google it, google's great aint it, so in 2010 a total of 2 people adults/children were killed by either bees/wasps/hornets, so directly by bees may have been even zero, but lets say it's 2
in the same year in an "accident" 258 people were killed as passengers in a car, so I presume that because you would never put anyone in a dangerous position intentionally, you do not drive a car, or if you do, you do not take any passengers, as you'd have around 256 more chances of putting them in danger compared to a bee sting, and that would make you even more irresponsible than me wouldn't it

or do you think, that everyone everyday does risk assessments in their heads and gauges if something is safe or not, that includes those of us that keep bees in our back gardens

heres the link I found the info on, crazy some of the accidents that happen, I mean you are around 3 times more likely to die in the bath, than via a bee sting, good reason to stop washing don't you think ??

http://www.theguardian.com/news/dat...atistics-causes-death-england-wales-2010#data

No surprise there, it's the kind of reply I expected and probably when the bee sting occurs you would ask for proof it was one of your bees.
I expect there are quite a few bees in gardens, especially as there are so many new beekeepers who start out doing just that and how many end up in strife. Perhaps google may have the answer. Novice beeks with garden hives is even more irresponsible.

All these risk assessments and statistics regarding bee related incidents is neither here nor there surely?
People have a right to enjoy their own property and I must say that I would not expect a neighbour to indulge my hobby if it at all impinged on this right. To expect it is just plain antisocial and selfish.
Swarm is right. A colony of bees in a garden with close neighbours, in the hands of a beginner, is a dangerous thing.

All these risk assessments and statistics regarding bee related incidents is neither here nor there surely?
People have a right to enjoy their own property and I must say that I would not expect a neighbour to indulge my hobby if it at all impinged on this right. To expect it is just plain antisocial and selfish.
Swarm is right. A colony of bees in a garden with close neighbours, in the hands of a beginner, is a dangerous thing.

:iagree::iagree:

But back to the video - it's also pretty antisocial to just go and spray poison over somebody else's livestock.
But
We only know one side of the story - maybe the beekeeper has a track record of selfishness and anti-social behaviour and the spraying incident was just the final result.
If however the neighbour just had an issue/concern about bees next door (and this is also directed at some of the more daft comments on here) he/she should discuss the concerns with the beekeeper before taking more positive action - the beek may just not have realised the effect the bees might have and volunteer to move them anyway.

:iagree:

I have two colonies in the large garden of an elderly friend. She has been stung a couple of times but no problems with the neighbours. Personally i don't think bees have any place in a suburban garden and have offered repeatedly to move them but she refuses. I suspect she likes a bit of company and the fact I help her with the 'heavy work' :)

When I was a child, living on the outskirts of Blackpool, quite a few people had hives in their gardens.
Never heard of a complaint.

Last edited:

No surprise there, it's the kind of reply I expected and probably when the bee sting occurs you would ask for proof it was one of your bees.
I expect there are quite a few bees in gardens, especially as there are so many new beekeepers who start out doing just that and how many end up in strife. Perhaps google may have the answer. Novice beeks with garden hives is even more irresponsible.

Its rare for me to disagree with ericA - one of the saner people on the Forum.

But I (largely) disagree with the over-reaction to bees being kept in suburban gardens. I'm afraid we are living in such a risk-averse society that we are in danger of reducing everyday life to a state of such mundane safety, that no one learns how do cope with/ deal with adversity in small things, and so are unprepared when nasty big things happen.

My caveat is around the 'novice' word. I do think that people should have to take a course and have some practical experience of handling bees before getting some. Then, a mentor is essential.

I've kept bees in my garden for several years now. My neighbour has experienced one sting and accepts that. (Well, her husband said it was ok!). I had a colony start getting stroppy - and requeened immediately. I currently have one colony on the roof of Manchester Cathedral - out of range of people - which is turning aggressive. In that setting I've got time to assess and respond. If it were in my garden, I would probably have destroyed the colony.

But I do think that any suggestion that urban or suburban beekeeping is inherently undesirable, is as much an overreaction, as an urban view of all rural pest control as being cruel and wrong.

Dusty.

(Sorry, ericA)

Having said that...I forgive you Dusty ;)
Does that make you INsane?

But I (largely) disagree with the over-reaction to bees being kept in suburban gardens. I'm afraid we are living in such a risk-averse society that we are in danger of reducing everyday life to a state of such mundane safety, that no one learns how do cope with/ deal with adversity in small things, and so are unprepared when nasty big things happen.

My caveat is around the 'novice' word. I do think that people should have to take a course and have some practical experience of handling bees before getting some. Then, a mentor is essential.

I've kept bees in my garden for several years now. My neighbour has experienced one sting and accepts that. (Well, her husband said it was ok!). I had a colony start getting stroppy - and requeened immediately. I currently have one colony on the roof of Manchester Cathedral - out of range of people - which is turning aggressive. In that setting I've got time to assess and respond. If it were in my garden, I would probably have destroyed the colony.

But I do think that any suggestion that urban or suburban beekeeping is inherently undesirable, is as much an overreaction, as an urban view of all rural pest control as being cruel and wrong.

Dusty.

(Sorry, ericA)

Dusty, it's a matter of considering others. I don't allow my dogs to stray or to foul, I also stop them barking when something sets them off. I don't slam doors and hold loud conversation at silly hours and I don't light fires midday when people have washing out. A row of hives just a couple of feet from a boundary fence shows a lack of consideration, it's selfish and posting a one sided video on youtube is just another sad, sign of the times.

Dusty, it's a matter of considering others.

Well, my two hives are against our adjoining fence.

I did considered my neighbours.
The fence is 6' high and their garden is 3' lower than ours.
So, the bees fly 9' above their heads - except for those which forage in their garden.
When getting my hives, I asked if they had any concerns - and we discussed it.
They were happy.

So, all things considered (and they were) I decided to go ahead and put them where they are. Even though I was inexperienced.

To make a blanket judgement that "novice beekeepers with garden hives is...... irresponsible", is simplistic.

Dusty

My neighbour's cat c@rps in my garden far more times every week than they've ever been stung by my bees (which is never).
Who's the inconsiderate neighbour in my street then?

My neighbour's cat c@rps in my garden far more times every week than they've ever been stung by my bees (which is never).

I agree, I have the same problem. Maybe I should put a few hives in the garden. Bees poo as well btw ;)
Maybe it's the way I was brought up, two wrongs don't make a right AFAIC. My neighbour thought it was a good idea to fire up his disc cutter on Sunday afternoon, clouds of smoke dust billowing over our garden as we got the laundry in. Tried to put it back out later and another neighbour decides to start burning rubbish, should I lower myself to behaving the same way? Sorry, but when I used a disc cutter, it was out on the road on wet stone and if I light a fire it's an evening job, because I consider the impact my activities will have on others, seems like common courtesy is a thing of the past these days.
I still think it's irresponsible, especially for an inexperienced beek, to set up hives along an adjoining fence. Foragers may fly over their heads but snotty guard bees don't and a read through some threads this year proves that things can and do go wrong.

Thats why I got a Rottie lol. He's terrified of cats but they don't know that. Since they've stopped carping in my garden, my plants and flowers are far better off.

I used to have 5 cats and they used to go out all day EXCEPT to go to the toilet, the only animal I know that would rather come INSIDE to do their business! (at least I knew they weren't carping in neighbours gardens)

Robbo8916;495660. I used to have 5 cats and they used to go out all day EXCEPT to go to the toilet said:
Had a cat years ago, it had a covered litter tray. It seemed to think that when it's head was inside it was OK to do the business. :redface:

Had a cat years ago, it had a covered litter tray. It seemed to think that when it's head was inside it was OK to do the business. :redface:

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:Although one of mine did used to poop in the opposite corner of the room to the tray.

Sorry :offtopic:

Back to bees :spy:

Hmmmm interesting, so with all the publicity surrounding the decline of Bees and public encouragement to help preserve them some would rather there were no novice keepers unless they had access to site their hives far away from people?
As a novice with bees in my garden I have to say that siting the hive was a big consideration so as to avoid the flight paths bringing them into close contact with the Neighbours, my kids love watching the Bees coming and Going and watching for the different colours of Pollen Being brought back, it's a far better educational position for them and curious visitors and has given Bees great PR in the time I have had them, that said they are pretty passive and respect for their immediate space around the hive is given, this weekend my Son was playing and watching literally a few feet away with no issues, yes some can get moody and I have experienced the anger of another keepers bees getting stung long after the inspection and a good fifty feet away from the hive.
Agressive Bees would simply not be tolerated in the garden and moved or destroyed, temporary mild aggression has been seen in poor weather BUT they know to give them more space when the weather is dull and damp.

I just don't think it's very encouraging and perhaps slightly elitist to make such statements.

Back