what would you do ???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing elitist about my statement I can assure you, just taking into account what can and usually does happen with bees.

Merely meant that not everyone has the luxury of living out in the open countryside or can afford to keep their bees away from home, I don't mean financially necessarily but time and other consideration also, perhaps I took offence as a novice but I guess maybe that's because I read, watched and asked questions long before I actually got any Bees and also joined the local club too, I guess there are some clueless novice keepers that don't even consider the basics so point taken in that respect. :blush5:

seems to be the answer to everything nowadays - agressive bees - just destroy them- disgusting

Well, someone got back to the OP! but maybe the neighbour just had a gripe with the camera wielding beekeeper? No excuse for taking it out on the bees though.
Hives in gardens? So tricky, there is so much well meaning encouragement to keep bees without any cautionary advice. It obviously can be fine, if you know what will happen through the year and people who will be affected understand and are prepared to make allowances, but for the ignorant many the presence of something that COULD cause pain and inconvenience is intolerable. I look at the bee-traffic on our few good days in front of my hives and can't imagine how that would fit in an urban environment. Oh, and by the way, my bees are all lovely (ish). They taught me quite quickly (well, over a few years) how to be a better bee-keeper and not need to be reprimanded so often.:D

Dusty, it's a matter of considering others. I don't allow my dogs to stray or to foul, I also stop them barking when something sets them off. I don't slam doors and hold loud conversation at silly hours and I don't light fires midday when people have washing out.

Blimey if I had a neighbour like you I'd have to turn down my subwoofer, cut down on the all night parties and stop working on my table saw saw at 6 o'clock in the morning!

Nothing elitist about my statement I can assure you, just taking into account what can and usually does happen with bees.

Blimey if I had a neighbour like you I'd have to turn down my subwoofer, cut down on the all night parties and stop working on my table saw saw at 6 o'clock in the morning!

You could construe keeping bees in a garden with neighbours as an elite form of subwoofing,partying and early morning sawing ;)

I think I feel qualified to speak about keeping bees in a garden after my baptism of fire. I did all the right things - joined the local club, went to training, bought local bees and have nice neighbours. However it still all went horribly wrong. My nice local queen was so prolific she needed the colony splitting in April. Both halves turn mean. I was quite happy to deal with the bees myself - but fear of neighbours and passesby being stung made this nigh on impossible. They had to be moved. Requeening at this stage is not the easy option either as it means opening the hive to find the old queen.
So to all my fellow garden beekeepers I would say be ready with a backup plan. By the time the colony has turned evil moving them is difficult and people may well get stung as you try. As for destroying the colony - as a beek it is heartbreaking to contemplate doing this and the stress of just contemplating it made me upset for days.

Having said all that - I still have garden bees. I buy in gentle bees from a good breeder. That's no guarantee that they won't turn mean oneday - but I will act sooner rather than later if that happens.

I have had seven hives in my garden this year not including the bumble bee hive in the compost bin that's still there. No problems at all but I always have a constant watch for changes in temperament but had nothing untoward for the past three years. I live in a typical city housing estate.

No matter what the angst, spraying chemicals to destroy another's property be it weed killer on vegetation or insecticide to destroy bee's is a criminal act. There are other ways to get what you want if what you want is reasonable.

Back