New member from France

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
Hi all. I’m not actually new here as I’ve been lurking and reading messages for a while now. I’m a complete novice but I’ve been fascinated with bees since I was very young. Now recently retired and considering starting beekeeping but so much to learn! My son bought me a Vevor hive ( VEVOR Bee Hive | VEVOR UK) for Christmas and that might be enough to kick start me into finding a course etc. I’m English but have lived in France for nearly 20 years on and off. 3 initial questions that come to mind -
1. Any experience, advice on the Vevor hive? Good, bad, burn it! Etc. Lol
2. I have a long narrow garden c. 90 metres long and 7 metres wide with neighbours on all sides. If I put up 2 metre high boundary fences around the bottom end of the garden say and area of 7 metres x 10 metres, with the hive facing the house, will that be enough to ensure I don’t cause a nuisance to my neighbours? Or should I be looking for an offsite location?
3. Keen to get onto a good practical training course. My French is good but I’d prefer to do a course in English so south coast/kent would work. Any recommendations gratefully received.

Also keen to connect with any beekeepers in nord / pas de Calais. I live just outside Lille.

If I put up 2 metre high boundary fences around the bottom end of the garden say and area of 7 metres x 10 metres, with the hive facing the house, will that be enough to ensure I don’t cause a nuisance to my neighbours? Or should I be looking for an offsite location?
It definitely won't ensure no nuisance, but it will help. Our code here specifies three metres from the boundary. Tetchiness is generally increased with inspections, queenlessness and the list goes on...
Some colonies are more tetchy than others and some start out nice and calm, but down the track, with a different queen, the temperament can change. If you can find an offsite location to have another couple of colonies it will help. It's best to have more than one hive in any case.
All the best with it as it's a great hobby.

Hi all. I’m not actually new here as I’ve been lurking and reading messages for a while now. I’m a complete novice but I’ve been fascinated with bees since I was very young. Now recently retired and considering starting beekeeping but so much to learn! My son bought me a Vevor hive ( VEVOR Bee Hive | VEVOR UK) for Christmas and that might be enough to kick start me into finding a course etc. I’m English but have lived in France for nearly 20 years on and off. 3 initial questions that come to mind -
2. I have a long narrow garden c. 90 metres long and 7 metres wide with neighbours on all sides. If I put up 2 metre high boundary fences around the bottom end of the garden say and area of 7 metres x 10 metres, with the hive facing the house, will that be enough to ensure I don’t cause a nuisance to my neighbours? Or should I be looking for an offsite location?
3. Keen to get onto a good practical training course. My French is good but I’d prefer to do a course in English so south coast/kent would work. Any recommendations gratefully received.

Also keen to connect with any beekeepers in nord / pas de Calais. I live just outside Lille.
It's a Langstroth box...the bees will live in it. I would seal the window up - it's a gimmick, the bees will probably seal it up anyway. Cover the 'ventilation' slot in the crownboard, they don't need top ventilation. Indeed, put some insulation (Kingspan/Celotex) in the roof. You will need more kit as bees will, at some point swarm and like it or not you will have more bees. Watch out for the beekeeping sales - you may find it cheaper to have kit shipped over from the UK or come over to pick it up than buying locally. Maks sure other kit matches the dimensions of the Vevor box, there's nothing worse than mismatched kit.

A screen around the hives of 2.0m (the higher the better) will get the bees up into the air and they should not be a nuisance, I've kept bees in my garden for 13 years and never had a problem but it's wise to have a secondary location available in case you do - and somewhere to move them to will save you lots of grief if your neighbours are affected

There are lots of courses in the UK - but the good ones tend to be run by Beekeeping associatons, with 10 or so classes weekly or fortnightly from about now until May so that may not be great for you. The short courses (3 day intensive) tend to be run once the season starts and vary dramatically in price and quality. The Haynes Manual of Beekeeping will help you through the first couple of years - it's a well organised beekeeping by numbers guide - you will not find all the answers there but there's always someone around on here for those 'OMG what do I do now' questions.

So welcome to the wonderful craft of beekeeping - it's compulsive once you start so prepare to become bee obsessed. Get to know about varroa and the Asian Hornet - both of which you will have to contend with. We have some members over in France and they will help with any French specific questions that arise. Good luck for when you get your first bees ....

In my experience course are pretty hard to come by (in the south at least). Personally I've learnt through YouTube videos and over time have build up a small network of local beekeepers who I chat too / meet up with from time to time. It's handy to have people you can bounce ideas off & who geographically are near to you to be able to compare notes with. Leboncoin is a good source for buying your bees & may enable you to hook up with a local beekeeper. And of course this forum is extremely informative - it's the best I've come across.

I suspect hives are cheaper in the UK compared to France....pretty much everything is! That said, with the vagaries of import charges post Brexit Spain may be a better bet. I buy pretty much all my kit from here: La Tienda del Apicultor. Hives & wax are massively cheaper through them, although obviously there's a shipping charge.

A couple of things for you:
  • once a year you need to declare the number of colonies you have. There's no cost involved & you'll receive a NAPI number which needs to be visible. Details here: NAPI
  • You've possibly already looked up local regulations concerning hives in your garden, but if not this may help: rules to respect (in French).

In my experience course are pretty hard to come by (in the south at least). Personally I've learnt through YouTube videos and over time have build up a small network of local beekeepers who I chat too / meet up with from time to time. It's handy to have people you can bounce ideas off & who geographically are near to you to be able to compare notes with. Leboncoin is a good source for buying your bees & may enable you to hook up with a local beekeeper. And of course this forum is extremely informative - it's the best I've come across.

I suspect hives are cheaper in the UK compared to France....pretty much everything is! That said, with the vagaries of import charges post Brexit Spain may be a better bet. I buy pretty much all my kit from here: La Tienda del Apicultor. Hives & wax are massively cheaper through them, although obviously there's a shipping charge.

A couple of things for you:
  • once a year you need to declare the number of colonies you have. There's no cost involved & you'll receive a NAPI number which needs to be visible. Details here: NAPI
  • You've possibly already looked up local regulations concerning hives in your garden, but if not this may help: rules to respect (in French).
Interesting rules :)

You have received good advice - but I feel. I should comment. Remember, 2 bkprs = at least 3 opinions!
The Vevor hive was a generous gift but should not fix your entry into bkpg. It is usual - but not essential - to keep only one type of hive - and your will need at least 3 hives (2 active, one declining) to keep active as a hobby. Minimal interference will take only a few minutes most times, hardly worth travelling and suiting up for one hive.

However, the Vevor hive sold as a kit for home assembly with 2 deeps and one super at £152, solid floor, cap roof, plastic foundation, bottom bee space, is questionable as a good start for a beginner - or for any bkpr:
1. One super is insufficient in any reasonable area - nectar is 80% water, honey 20%, so more space is needed for nectar in a strong flow. You could try working the hive with one deep and one shallow brood box, ie using the super as the upper brood box, and then use the other deep box as the super - but that would not deal with all problems.
2. The Vevor uses Langstroth frames but is bottom bee space. Langstroths are top bee space which is much better when replacing top boxes without crushing bees. Converting the kit will require some woodworking - if you can do that, you could make a better hive entirely.
3. A solid floor does not enable a varroa tray, varroa are the main cause of colony deaths, and must be monitored. So you will need to make an eke with an entrance and varroa mesh floor, and then turn the given solid floor to face backwards.
4. The cap roof will leave rain water to dribble down the hive walls, chilling the hive and bees. You could lay on on a flat sheet of well painted ply, overhanging all sides by say 70mm, with edge battens to form drips, and a brick to resist wind.
5. As has been said, the observation windows are a gimmick - you only see the outer face of the outer comb, which is not much informative.
6. The frames are fitted with plastic foundation., with every cell of worker size, not provision for drone at all. A bee colony is a single super-organism and a constituent part is drones. So the hive forces a crippled colony - not much fun for a hobbyist! The better alternative, IMHO but no doubt opposed by many on this forum (!), is to do the opposite - but in wooden frames with only starter strip of wax foundation, so that the bees can build wax combs with just the numbers of cells they need, after you run in a swarm (much cheaper than buying a nuc).

This assumes you want to honour the gift of a hive, rather than research the options and choose a design best suited to your hopes and situation. For example, a popular hive in France/Spain is the Layens, a million or so in use. This is a horizontal hive, much easier to manage. Do look at www.beeculture.com for a full introduction.
Such horizontal hives cannot be supered, which IMHO does not suit if you are in an area with a strong flow. So finally, if you really want to get immersed in a new hobby that you could enjoy for at least another 20 years following retirement, do have a look at my own solution, the Dartington hive. This is a ‘combination’ hive, storing honey both behind the brood and above in supers or ‘honeyboxes‘ (half length supers to provide flexibility and reduce weight by half, which I myself can still lift at age 85). There is no website, I am not commercial, the hive is designed to be made at home from ply pieces cut for you at a local builders merchant, no joints, very economical. The system is explained in the booklets below , available from Northern Bee Books (I get no royalty).
Do come back with any questions.
1704218912752.jpeg

Burn the Vevor hive!!! Or at least try to sell it on eBay or local classified website like gumtree and get your money back. Then invest your money into a decent well-made hive. I presume most people have langstroth hives in France so get 2 decent langstroth hives. Or any other hive that is popular in France.
It is always recommended for a beginner to start beekeeping with at least 2 hives, so you would probably want to get 2 hives to start with.

Remember, 2 bkprs = at least 3 opinions!
The Vevor hive was a generous gift but should not fix your entry into bkpg
I think you need to get your keyboard sorted, it keeps missing letters out and ends up looking like you're typing gibberish
will need at least 3 hives (2 active, one declining)
eh?!
ou could try working the hive with one deep and one shallow brood box, ie using the super as the upper brood box,
whatever the problem - brood and a half is never the solution
run in a swarm
totally unneccessary and just showmanship - just dump the swarm in the box and let them sort themselves out

totally unneccessary and just showmanship - just dump the swarm in the box and let them sort themselves out
When I’ve collected swarms in public places I have done that. It’s a good way to make sure you have the queen and once or twice I’ve actually spotted her. Onlookers love it but just dropping them into the box and gently lowering the frames in is much less time consuming

When I’ve collected swarms in public places I have done that. It’s a good way to make sure you have the queen and once or twice I’ve actually spotted her. Onlookers love it but just dropping them into the box and gently lowering the frames in is much less time consuming
but that is slightly different - getting the majority into the box then leaving the rest troop in is the only way it can be done, last season at a relative's farm, they had a swarm on a fence post near the kitchen, I actually spotted the queen, picked her up, dropped her in a nuc and the rest followed. (earled me a nice bottle of malt as well!)
But what's the difference between dumping the caught swarm on a white (apparently it's against the rules to use any other colour) sheet in front of a hive hoping they'll troop in after a bit of 'encouragement' with a smoker and just dumping said swarm straight into a hive?
All this smoke and mirrors nonsense belongs in the ark as it just makes a mockery of the whole thing

If they are in a really awkward place, you can have some crawl onto a disease free brood frame and then put that in the box nearby. They send messages and will all fly into the box (if you're lucky!). I've done that using a long pole if they are way up in a tree for instance.

Latest posts

Back