what would you do

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right! No point hefting if he's going to open them anyway.

And no point in feeding if he's going to be poking around inside.

Dead bees don't need food

Pretty pointless checking for mite drop before hand either. Just do it

JBM,

You are just too subtle. Keeping things simple is the way to go. Wtf has checking for varroa got to do with starving bees? Wait a week for results and then find them dead from starvation? Yeah, right!

Some don't seem to have a handle on reality.

Wtf has checking for varroa got to do with starving bees? Wait a week for results and then find them dead from starvation? Yeah, right!

Some don't seem to have a handle on reality.

I don't think anyone actually said that.

The post that mentioned OA treatment initially was along the lines of :
feed with fondant if light, check varroa drop and use oxalic if needed.

How does that put you in fantasy land?

And no point in feeding if he's going to be poking around inside.

Dead bees don't need food

Pretty pointless checking for mite drop before hand either. Just do it

If you are suggesting having a look will kill the bees, then I would disagree. When I was doing oxalic dribble treatment, I would pull some frames in a couple of hives in each apiary to give myself an idea of the extent of brood nest, if any.
I'm not suggesting having a look doesn't challenge the colony, but I can honestly say I was never able to measure any harm done, and I even new of some hives opened on a weekly basis for research purposes which mostly seemed to shrug the disturbance off and come through roughly on a par with contemporary undisturbed colonies.

If you are suggesting having a look will kill the bees, then I would disagree. When I was doing oxalic dribble treatment, I would pull some frames in a couple of hives in each apiary to give myself an idea of the extent of brood nest, if any.
I'm not suggesting having a look doesn't challenge the colony, but I can honestly say I was never able to measure any harm done, and I even new of some hives opened on a weekly basis for research purposes which mostly seemed to shrug the disturbance off and come through roughly on a par with contemporary undisturbed colonies.

Good post. Spot on.

I don't think he meant that - I think he meant EITHER HEFT or LOOK - personally, I would not look - I weigh my hives as well as hefting and I won't be opening mine until Spring has definitely sprung ....

Sorry, I thought he meant that there was no point hefting or feeding. It must be the Teelings effect causing my confusion.

I don't think anyone actually said that.

The post that mentioned OA treatment initially was along the lines of :
feed with fondant if light, check varroa drop and use oxalic if needed.

How does that put you in fantasy land?

It does Davelin, because he is my stalker.

Amen

If you are suggesting having a look will kill the bees, then I would disagree.
And with you I would agree, unfortunately we are not talking you - you only have to look through this thread to know that 'general' indiscriminate 'advice' from the usual crowd ends up being escalated into a blind panic with bees being opened every five minutes and goodness knows what being done or advised thereafter.
he does seem to have the uncanny knack of taking good heed of all the spaced out 'I read it somewhere in a book' or 'a man in my local pub told me that.......' posts and ignoring good advice.
The man's a beginner and I think in this case it's easier if everything is either black or white, even if the grey areas end up being slapped over with the tar brush. (we won't mention the polka dot psychedelic colours of some :D)

he does seem to have the uncanny knack of taking good heed of all the spaced out 'I read it somewhere in a book' or 'a man in my local pub told me that.......' posts and ignoring good advice.:D)

May be too late - he's probably opened them all up and drowned them with neat OA anyway :sorry:

Some will consider a quick look, seconds, and some hours, that's the problem. A new beekeeper take time and that's when the damage is done

And with you I would agree, unfortunately we are not talking you - you only have to look through this thread to know that 'general' indiscriminate 'advice' from the usual crowd ends up being escalated into a blind panic with bees being opened every five minutes and goodness knows what being done or advised thereafter.
he does seem to have the uncanny knack of taking good heed of all the spaced out 'I read it somewhere in a book' or 'a man in my local pub told me that.......' posts and ignoring good advice.
The man's a beginner and I think in this case it's easier if everything is either black or white, even if the grey areas end up being slapped over with the tar brush. (we won't mention the polka dot psychedelic colours of some :D)

Ah, ok, I sometimes make the mistake of thinking common sense is common.

Ah, ok, I sometimes make the mistake of thinking common sense is common.
I appreciate that you are trying to placate the mass hysteria which exist among some of the advisers, because they appear to be going into total meltdown. I have found that you cannot do beekeeping by learning by route as every year is so different and that is where common sense comes in. However, if people are constantly being badgered they lose all confidence and cannot act intuitively and with common sense.
Anyhow, I have just put my ear to all my nucs and colonies and they were all humming nicely. Thought I was getting hard of hearing, but I guess it has not been cold enough before in my locale for them to rev up to any extent. Glad they had their mass cleansing flight the other day in case we are in for a cold spell. Note to self must check weather forecast - Roola.
Happy New Beekeeping Year to all.

I have found that you cannot do beekeeping by learning by route as every year is so different and that is where common sense comes in. However, if people are constantly being badgered they lose all confidence and cannot act intuitively and with common sense.

You must have been on holiday for the first seven pages of this thread ? Lots of common sense poured out in Irishguys direction - often ignored in favour of what he heard from 'someone he knew'. JBM must have spent hours trying to dig him out of the brown stuff ...

Hi Pargyle,
I have followed the thread and I can understand both parties. It is a question of trust, tone and hard work. Someone on this forum sent me a PM for help regarding a swarm situation, because he did not want to be hammered on the forum - and very grateful he was too. If people don't trust your advice, then be grown up and move on.

I don't think you are reading the same thread as me ....

Its all about perspective and wording. I've had a few people I know read over this thread and can see why I made the choices I did and agree with me, but then again P, they could be biased because they know me, bit like others on here that know jbm but TBH, we've all already been through this, so no point in going backwards!. I'm still very thankful for the effort everyone's done in here to help getting these hives into shape, yourself included ;).

As for the hives, I haven't opened or hefted them yet. I was at them earlier just having a look but no bees to be seen outside hive. Reason whybi hadn't hefted or opened is I hadn't got my foundent because it occurred to me, is it ordinary foundant needed for icing cakes or certain stuff for bees. I know this might seem a silly question to some but best to ask just incase. How much of it will I need and can I just give them it anyway for safe measure or can it give me problems if I just lump it in if they didn't need it.

Last edited:
As for the hives, I haven't opened or hefted them yet.

Hi, just one thought, do you have a 'control' to compare the hefted-weight against? I know that you've got to start somewhere but what will you be measuring against?

Hi, just one thought, do you have a 'control' to compare the hefted-weight against? I know that you've got to start somewhere but what will you be measuring against?

I've a fair idea thou one other problem that I have, the hives were hefted when no insulation was on. I did it once with insulation on but will I remember what weight they where remains to be seen. Another problem I have, they are all different sizes. 2 with supers underneath and both supers wherent same weight so I guess Itll be a guessing game. I've other empty hives with frames that I could also use as a guide.

Back