what would you do

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If using maqs have a super on both hives - they need the extra space - either that or go for apiguard - which would be my choice at this time of year. Hive 2 is fine - plenty of stores in half a super full, personally I would forget about extracting this year - leave it on for the bees, get them in good shape for next year and you'll have honey coming out your ears. If I were you I'd put the super under the brood box for the winter - with no queen excluder

If using maqs have a super on both hives - they need the extra space - either that or go for apiguard - which would be my choice at this time of year. Hive 2 is fine - plenty of stores in half a super full, personally I would forget about extracting this year - leave it on for the bees, get them in good shape for next year and you'll have honey coming out your ears. If I were you I'd put the super under the brood box for the winter - with no queen excluder

An empty super or with frames. As for not taking honey :(, if it comes to it, I'll leave it but I'm taking 1 frame. I know this might sound daft but trust me, it don't to me because with the money and amount of work I've put it, I want a few scoops of honey for my reward for this year lol

Why apiguard your choice

An empty super or with frames. As for not taking honey :(, if it comes to it, I'll leave it but I'm taking 1 frame.
A super with frames - I would take one frame too - I was about to suggest it

Why apiguard your choice

Ask around - there have been issues with queens going off lay, or worse - the colony superseding the queen - something you definitely don't want at this time of the year. Most beeks now use it late July to give plenty of time if something does go wrong.

A super with frames - I would take one frame too - I was about to suggest it

;)

Ask around - there have been issues with queens going off lay, or worse - the colony superseding the queen - something you definitely don't want at this time of the year. Most beeks now use it late July to give plenty of time if something does go wrong.

Will make few phone calls tomorrow. Cheers again jmb

JBM,

You have a PM (or will shortly, rather).

A suggestion but not on here to possibly confuse the issues.

RAB

Oh do tell, RAB!

Secrets are bad - and it's not as if we can't deal maturely with complex ideas on this Forum.

Dusty

Generally yes..... in this thread ANYTHING that distracts or detracts is likely to result in Iirishguy heading off at a tangent ... start a new thread RAB but just let a few of us know where it is ... head it up with something like TOP SECRET that will keep most people out !

Was out at bees, hive no4 had quite alot of activity and I thought it was robbing but still not sure. I went up, got bee suit on, smoker and opened up hive. Don't know if this was right thing to do but it was on the spot decision. I opened up hive and bees where quiet enough inside. I moved the hive 6ft away just to see what will happen. Some bees just flew about in spot where hive used to be and some(maybe 5) went into the hive. These bees where full of pollen on back legs so I'm thinking maybe not robbing. About 10mins later, put hive back in place and it was quieter at entrance thou busier than the other hives. One thing I should add as well, this entrance was only 3 drilled holes, maybe 10mm so I'm thinking maybe it is this also but why isn't the other busyier hive not like this

varroa treatment

I was just about to order the apiguard for treatment but remembered its to be on for 6 weeks and temps above 17 degrees. Come the end of this month there's Noway well have these temps here on west coast. What other treatment do you suggest

Have been feeding bees last few days and they're emptying the full rapid feeders very quickly. The bees are also bringing in quite a lot of flow. Haven't a clue what it is thou, its yellow and other is greyish colour.

I still haven't treated. I phoned the guy yesterday and he's told me he'll have it to me by Fri. Still haven't decided what to use thou might just use the maqs at the strengths I was advised in the association.

I took super off on sat(I think it was sat) and the bees where taking it down because I'm only left with 5 frames 3/4 filled. Removed super just so I'd get a proper look at the frames. Reluctantly giving back tommorow at some stage minus 1 frame. How long will I keep it on for.

Just one more question, no QE or crown board. Will the queen not start laying in super

Put it UNDER the brood box ... no QE between it and the brood box and certainly no crown board between them ..she won't lay in there and if she did it wouldn't matter as come spring you take the super (which will be empty by then) away.

Still feeding, gave the hive back its super with 4 full frames and rest empty frames. Started to move hive closer together and maq strips on its way. When they arrive I'll be putting only 1 maq strip in each hive. I know this is abit controversial but after it was discussed in the association about this, I think this is my best approach seeing as the hives aren't full colonies at the moment. As for the caste, I'm either going to give half or quarter strip, or not all all.

Latest posts

Back