What is this in the honeycomb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
We decided to use some thin unwired foundation and see what honeycomb was like.

We were advised to freeze the frames in case there were wax moth eggs in the frames, which we did. Is this good advice and what most people do?

We have now got round to cutting the honeycomb from the frame and cutting it into sections. Some of the sections from the edge of the frame have the cells full of this white 'plug'. They seem to be in the cells that were not capped. What is it?

It feels hard and crystallin - is this a result of freezing the frames, and possibly what happen to unripe honey. They have been out of the freezer for some time so it is no longer frozen.

Thanks for any suggestions.

comb2.jpgcomb1.jpg

As above is crystallised honey and its not caused by freezing. Most of us will freeze and store our cut comb in the freezer to prevent wax moth and crystallisation. If you’ve taken from the bees recently your likely to have got some ivy nectar in there. When taking combs for cut comb it pays to be aware what nectar sources the bees have been working. I’d also suggest you try a local course or the like over the winter. Ian

white 'plug'.
Ivy crystallises in the comb within 7-14 days of collection because it's high in glucose. Nectar slow to crystallise will be high in fructose.

Ivy has a great taste - spicy, perhaps gingery - but it's reputation (handed down without thought) is that the flavour is unpleasant.

If I get enough to sell, it goes down well. One customer described it as 'tasting like Christmas'.

Last edited:
I would describe the taste and smell of ivy honey as strong and somewhat medicinal and could be described as an acquired taste. Here in "sunny Donny" it is still coming in and I can smell it several yards from the hives in the garden. The bees are even flying in the rain to fetch it.

Latest posts

Back