Wax moth??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scholar bees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,

Firstly, thanks to everyone who answered our last question. Super excited to get going again this year, but just when we think the warmer weather is kicking in suddenly we get a run of cold wet days to halt us in our tracks.

We just went into our bee-shed to get some pre-drawn supers out. We have noticed what we initially thought were cobwebs. However, on closer inspection I think its wax moth silk. Now the wax in the frames looks OK. It looks to my eyes like whoever was there has either gone or died.

Do we put them on and let the bees sort them? Or does that risk infecting the rest of the hive with wax moths?

Do we treat with Xentari then put on the hive (if so how long should we leave between treatment as use on hive)?

Do we junk the lot and put fresh undrawn foundation in?

Thanks in advance,

Maria.

Hi all,

Firstly, thanks to everyone who answered our last question. Super excited to get going again this year, but just when we think the warmer weather is kicking in suddenly we get a run of cold wet days to halt us in our tracks.

We just went into our bee-shed to get some pre-drawn supers out. We have noticed what we initially thought were cobwebs. However, on closer inspection I think its wax moth silk. Now the wax in the frames looks OK. It looks to my eyes like whoever was there has either gone or died.

Do we put them on and let the bees sort them? Or does that risk infecting the rest of the hive with wax moths?

Do we treat with Xentari then put on the hive (if so how long should we leave between treatment as use on hive)?

Do we junk the lot and put fresh undrawn foundation in?

Thanks in advance,

Maria.
Have you got a pic? Unusual to get wax moth in super comb, unless it has contained brood. I kill/prevent the moth by soaking a Cloth in 80% acetic acid and covering the box(s) with a plastic bag

Have you got a pic? Unusual to get wax moth in super comb, unless it has contained brood. I kill/prevent the moth by soaking a Cloth in 80% acetic acid and covering the box(s) with a plastic bag
We had a hive on brood and a half. We were going to swap out those frames this year, but put the supers all away together. Silly mistake but didn't know better.

We had a hive on brood and a half. We were going to swap out those frames this year, but put the supers all away together. Silly mistake but didn't know better.
Looking again, the affected box is the one which was brood and a half.

Looking again, the affected box is the one which was brood and a half.
Yes they prefer comb that’s had brood, I guess it tastes better😂but any comb can be vulnerable. Years ago we’d stack boxes with crystals but they got banned. You can treat stored boxes in the Autumn with sulphur or spray frames with Dipel. Wax moth will be in most/all hives in numbers there a pain and they can ruin stored comb, in full occupied hives they are normally of little concern.

I suspect that wax moths aren't that interested in super frames that have only ever contained honey, but if they've had brood in, or even had pollen stored in them, then it's a different story.

James

Latest posts

Back