What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fantastically simple but so effective

Indeed. Very neat.

Unfortunately those of us in the UK with relatively modern table saws have no access to dado blades. Well, to be honest, in some peoples' cases that's probably more "fortunate" than "unfortunate". My understanding is that for some time the law has required that the blade on a table saw stop spinning within ten seconds of the power being removed. The mass of a dado blade makes that largely infeasible. In turn (presumably because it allows cheaper production) saws made for the UK and EU markets have arbors and bearings that aren't suitable for using a dado blade.

I guess if I were wanting to do it I'd either find a much older model of table saw or make a couple of jigs to do the job with a bandsaw.

James

Not so much in the workshop but I was gifted a 8X6 insulated and plylined shed that I took delivery of at the weekend. Despite only being a few years old it needs a little work, the shiplaps popped out and there’s minor rot to deal with. Last night I painted the sides twice and this afternoon I made a base and temporarily positioned the shed awaiting the father in law to hook up the electrics.

The idea is to use it as a brewing and honey storage during the warmer months and once the weather turns to store supers and veg from the allotment; hence the black paint to hopefully warm it come summer to liquidfy honey and keep the winter frosts off. Unfortunately a dedicated space for beekeeping isn’t an option at present but who knows what the future may bring.
IMG_6545.jpeg

Indeed. Very neat.

Unfortunately those of us in the UK with relatively modern table saws have no access to dado blades. Well, to be honest, in some peoples' cases that's probably more "fortunate" than "unfortunate". My understanding is that for some time the law has required that the blade on a table saw stop spinning within ten seconds of the power being removed. The mass of a dado blade makes that largely infeasible. In turn (presumably because it allows cheaper production) saws made for the UK and EU markets have arbors and bearings that aren't suitable for using a dado blade.

I guess if I were wanting to do it I'd either find a much older model of table saw or make a couple of jigs to do the job with a bandsaw.

James
They dont make my saw now but this is what i have. Will run a dado up to 1-3/16" wide. A solid table saw is the heart of a workshop.
https://www.grizzly.com/products/gr...-table-saw-with-long-rails-riving-knife/g0691

I did some work outside the workshop today. Three sycamores have grown up alongside the workshop and are in danger of damaging the roof. They've also developed a bit of a lean over various outbuildings. Not any more.

firewood-2024-01.jpg

There's perhaps about ten days worth of firewood for next Winter there depending on the weather, and the rest will get fed through the chipper and used for paths in the veggie plot.

Meanwhile, in a workshop nearby, my daughter did the first day of a "Summer job" before starting university later this year. I've mentioned the place before because it's also where I get my scrap ply. I'm tempted to suggest to the owner that where possible he adds 460mm squares to the instructions for his cutting machine, with a selection of different hole patterns for escapes, feeding etc. (or none at all). I have no idea how much he'd charge, but I'm sure it ought to be possible to add a rim and still end up with a product far cheaper than I could buy and without the work of cutting loads of 460mm squares myself.

James

I did some work outside the workshop today. Three sycamores have grown up alongside the workshop and are in danger of damaging the roof. They've also developed a bit of a lean over various outbuildings. Not any more.

firewood-2024-01.jpg

There's perhaps about ten days worth of firewood for next Winter there depending on the weather, and the rest will get fed through the chipper and used for paths in the veggie plot.

Meanwhile, in a workshop nearby, my daughter did the first day of a "Summer job" before starting university later this year. I've mentioned the place before because it's also where I get my scrap ply. I'm tempted to suggest to the owner that where possible he adds 460mm squares to the instructions for his cutting machine, with a selection of different hole patterns for escapes, feeding etc. (or none at all). I have no idea how much he'd charge, but I'm sure it ought to be possible to add a rim and still end up with a product far cheaper than I could buy and without the work of cutting loads of 460mm squares myself.

James
I put all branches through my garden shredder.Once dried out, makes great smoker fuel.

Spent the afternoon teaching colleagues and students to assemble some deeps, shallows and roofs for the staff-student beekeeping project. Three deeps, six shallows and three roofs made plus 50 SN1s. I was impressed given the initial confusion but there were a lot of smiles and a great afternoon was had. We even had about 5-10 scouts checking out the boxes with frames in during late afternoon!

Nice to see someone else nailing boxes in a more sensible way than the 'approved' method
I was thinking just that thing while I was putting them together. The “approved” method is nonsensical cos’ WTF is ever going to take boxes apart? I glue my joints as well!

<shuffles feet and raises hand> :D

Though to be fair, if they'd been put together decently in the first place, I probably wouldn't have had to.

James

Oh I agree entirely, but I have boxes that have been put together “the proper way” that are loose at the joints and the nails are coming out. That can’t happen if you nail through the joints.

Last edited:
I was thinking just that thing while I was putting them together. The “approved” method is nonsensical cos’ WTF is ever going to take boxes apart? I glue my joints as well!
putting nails into end grain is pretty pointless anyway I've seen side rails pop off after a few years with boxes fixed that way, and putting the nails in down through the tenons the way you have means that no nails are exposed to the weather so less chance of them rusting - I use stainless steel screws not nails but have been fixing them that way for yearsscrew 1.jpgscrew 2.jpgscrew 5.jpg

Very nice ;) and ref another recent thread, do you only put castellations on one side of the box or am I looking at two different boxes? Just wondering...
K ;)
JBM doesn’t use castellation in his brood boxes but does in supers.
I however use them in both.
You would need to put them both sides.

dont see this often by me so asked and got enough for about 5 hives and a few nucs..just got to take the plaster board of some of it ..

Attachments

• 2024-03-23 12.38.29.jpg
    2024-03-23 12.38.29.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Back