What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd been on the forum for some years before I realised about your frames there and the zig zag wire in them and that you buy the wax with the wire already in it.
I could hardly believe it. I wonder where that idea came from? Has it always been like that?

I'd been on the forum for some years before I realised about your frames there and the zig zag wire in them and that you buy the wax with the wire already in it.
I could hardly believe it. I wonder where that idea came from? Has it always been like that?
yes, someone's bright idea nearly a century ago

Our beekeeping here came from the UK of course, from the 1820's onwards, so you'd think that we would have just copied over all the hive types and methods, but there seems to have been a divergence here at some stage.... unless you guys changed? Perhaps an Americanisation here?

Our beekeeping here came from the UK of course, from the 1820's onwards, so you'd think that we would have just copied over all the hive types and methods, but there seems to have been a divergence here at some stage.... unless you guys changed? Perhaps an Americanisation here?
The Langstroth wasn't invented until 1851, in the USA. So it's us who inherited your hive format, then decided to bugger it up with the frankenstein National format.

America were the real innovators and trendsetter for beekeeping, most of the the world followed suit, but as Dr Frank Smith said in his classic 'beekeeping in the tropics' the BBKA dug its heels in and ensured that beekeeping in Britain stayed at least 50 years behind the rest of the world. They were determined that beekeeping here should be the preserve of the retired professional and a sideline (not a business and main wage earner) for the nineteenth century cottager

The Langstroth wasn't invented until 1851,in the USA. So it's us who inherited your hive format, then decided to bugger it up with the frankenstein National format.

Well, those Johnny Foreigner types can never do anything as well as us British, eh, what?

James

Turning 2x8's into side bars for mating nucs, still have to mill the taper into the sides. Also milled the top and bottom bars from 2x8's since they were handy and cheap.

Attachments

• IMG_0906.JPG
    IMG_0906.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0907.JPG
    IMG_0907.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Don't doubt the double nuc for honey production.
Oh I don’t, I’ve had brilliant results with comb and putting two 5 frame nuc together for winter is also very interesting. I opened a pair yesterday that were both bursting at the seams. Both had 3 frames of brood against the central walls.

Being beaten at home by the Italians feels quite painful, there's no denying.

James
even the ones who did beat them this tournament only did them by the skin of their teeth. Until this season Some pundits had been so dismissive of the Italians they said they should be dropped from the tournament. Many of us never thought that. I happened to be out in Rome in 2013 when they trounced the French.

Was it from the goon show or the navy lark the phrase Damn clever these Chinese originated?

I associate it with the Goons, but that may be down to the fact that my Dad had books of the Goons scripts and he didn't (that I recall) of The Navy Lark. Then again, he had books of scripts from many of the post-war to early 70s radio series (Beyond Our Ken, Round The Horne, ITMA, Much Binding In The Marsh, Hancock's Half Hour and so on) and I may be completely misremembering.

James

"Was it from the goon show or the navy lark the phrase Damn clever these Chinese originated?"
Spike and others ran with the phrase but I think it was a WW2 saying.

Ying tong ying tong Ying tong ying tong Ying tong iddle I po

Over the last couple of days I've put together four shallows, two deeps, two roofs and have a similar amount again to make. Last night made 50 SN1s. Also got some 12mm ply for some cupboard doors today and couldn't possibly waste the offcuts so have made four cover boards after playing with the table and mitre saws earlier with a few extra bits waiting to be used. Boards cut for three UFEs and two ekes too but it got too late to be allowed to play with power tools or hammers...

20240317_221611.jpg

Latest posts

Back