What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why use a PU glue and then so many brads? Seems a bit overkill to me.

If the glue is good enough, just use enough brads to hold the frame together until the glue goes off.

If the glue isn't good enough without the brads, don't use it at all, or find a better glue.

James

why on earth glue frames?

Depends on how you prefer to work I think, and how many frames you're actually making up. Unless you want to be able to disassemble the frames in the future glue may well be cheaper and more efficient (and provide a stronger join than nails). On the basis of no evidence whatsoever, I'd be inclined to believe that glue in combination with a brad nailer might well be more efficient than "gimp pins", especially in combination with wiring one's own foundation.

I guess one might as well ask "Why on earth nail frames?"

James

Damn! That's horribly tidy compared with my pile (I am too embarrassed to even go out and take a photo).

James
Before today this was all laying dumped by the side of the shed, in danger of rotting in the rain. Plus, I had a devil of a job finding what I wanted or knowing what I had.
We'll see how long it stays in this tidy condition.

I've got to the point where, the only equipment I buy is frames, foundation and deep boxes. Everything else, I make myself.

Sorted out my skip wood today. Ready for more creations.
View attachment 39240
Heres my pile thats been air drying for a year or so. Power company cut trees in my neighbors yard and a neighbor down the street has a portable saw mill. All i had to do was buck it to length and help stack.

Attachments

• IMG_5567.jpg
    IMG_5567.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
Now that's a real flex. What type of timber is it?
Its southern yellow pine. Im in the US. There is a bridge tie mill close by that you can get bundles about that size of 1" thick material thats waste in their process for about a hundred dollars.

I've yet to have a nailed frame fail so why faff around with glue, whether you use gimp pins or a nailgun

If you're making frames in bulk, the glue can be applied to lots of sidebars at once and whilst also nailing with brads (vertically through the top bar) is perhaps unnecessary it does help stabilise the joint whilst the glue sets up, and it's very fast.

I'm no slouch at nailing frames together, but using a 10-frame jig, glue and brads is still faster for me over the ten frames (yes, I am sad enough to have tried it a few times against the clock to check :D). I imagine that using larger jigs would make the difference even more obvious.

If you're only doing a few dozen frames then quite probably it's immaterial what method is used, but if you're doing hundreds or even thousands and your time is money (or perhaps someone else's time is your money) then I suspect glue/brad nailing wins.

Having pondered on it, I suspect the reason for using glue and brads together might be that assembling frames in a multi-frame jig forces the brads to be put in vertically (I've seen it done differently, but it looked pig-awkward) and alone that wouldn't make a strong joint because the side-bar can just pull away otherwise.

I can't really see any benefit to using glue/brads over hand-nailing if frames are being assembled one at a time.

James

I use glue, brads and jigs.
When I can make a frame in under a minute, no need to premake any..(for my volumes)

For me in the future when I need more frames I will buy them pre made in bulk. My hourly rate doesn’t justify cost wise to stand making them even if I had jigs etc.

I'm not doubting you, but that surprises me given the cost of ten pre-assembled frames from, say, Thorne. Are they that much cheaper in bulk?

James

I make them when watching a film with the wife of a winter evening or two
Sounds cosy 🙂
I'm not doubting you, but that surprises me given the cost of ten pre-assembled frames from, say, Thorne. Are they that much cheaper in bulk?

James
from Bulgaria yes

Latest posts

Back