What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been setting up an out-apiary over the last few months which also has badgers in the area, I have made a wire mesh fence all around hopefully this will keep them out.

Err, did you bury the fence? And how high is it? Badgers, as you will know, are quite good at digging - and can climb, too! I wish you luck - perhaps your badgers will be as kind as mine are. Sett right next to the apiary, badger track right through the middle, and only one set of scratch marks on a hive stand in 11 years on the site. B****r, I've gone and done it now....

Err, did you bury the fence? And how high is it? Badgers, as you will know, are quite good at digging - and can climb, too! I wish you luck - perhaps your badgers will be as kind as mine are. Sett right next to the apiary, badger track right through the middle, and only one set of scratch marks on a hive stand in 11 years on the site. B****r, I've gone and done it now....

We have a huge badger sett within 1km of use. You can see the tracks of badgers (and foxes) in the winter snow. No problems from them in six years.

Nice sunny am , 0 C, wind dropped so fed fondant to three lightest hives. Bees in semi cluster..

No condensation in any hive - cosies make a huge difference. (no matchsticks or holes in crownboards or any such abominations carried out by people who need a course in simple thermodynamics..)

There you are Obee1... a fence! Sheep hurdles would work too and act as wind break.
I'm hoping to manage the problem without building a fence. Plan is place hives direct on some railway sleepers laid down flat as rails - low centre of gravity - and strap hives in both directions so that if they get knocked over they won't fall open. The spot I chose is sheltered by a barn and a cowshed on two sides.
Tremy - You will see for yourself as I told farmer you would be the surrogate beekeeper if disaster befalls them in my absence!
ooh magic twigs! Would they deter badgers :icon_204-2:

My out apiary is in an area with lots of badgers and I sometimes see them in the evenings but they have never bothered my beehives in 30+ years (unlike green wood peckers which add extra ventilation to my hives if I don't net them)

Last season we had a badger destroy a colony in one out apiary... chewed and clawed a chunk out of the wrc National... still strapped together but pulled of of the stand!
Now the little Bs have moved in underneath the hive stands!

Nos da

Collected some kit from BB wear today. Must say they have a really good range of most beeking kit and as always very pleasant to deal with. Really nice to have a good outlet close to home, not sure my bank balance agrees !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last season we had a badger destroy a colony in one out apiary... chewed and clawed a chunk out of the wrc National... still strapped together but pulled of of the stand!
Now the little Bs have moved in underneath the hive stands!

Nos da

This is why I decided to place hives direct onto sleepers. No way of getting underneath for Bertie badger. No doubt the downside will be small creatures finding the entrance at their mouth level!
If the badger didn't split your hive apart did it manage to get at the frames?

I'm hoping to manage the problem without building a fence. Plan is place hives direct on some railway sleepers laid down flat as rails - low centre of gravity - and strap hives in both directions so that if they get knocked over they won't fall open. The spot I chose is sheltered by a barn and a cowshed on two sides.
Tremy - You will see for yourself as I told farmer you would be the surrogate beekeeper if disaster befalls them in my absence!
ooh magic twigs! Would they deter badgers :icon_204-2:

Arrrrgh.....how many times do I have to tell you....twigs...no matter how magical...will not save you.....you must always use pine fronds....uh some people!
How very dare you volunteer me for your surrogacy...you do know I charge...per sting don't you?

This is why I decided to place hives direct onto sleepers. No way of getting underneath for Bertie badger. No doubt the downside will be small creatures finding the entrance at their mouth level!
If the badger didn't split your hive apart did it manage to get at the frames?

Chomped into the brood frames, but bees must have eventually driven the sharp clawed long toothed beastie away!

Nos da

Yup but only about 6" the fence is about 4ft tall, built it around there regular path but can only hope they take no notice,

Soak some spuds in diesel and keep rolling them down the holes, that is supposed to move any unwelcome visitors on..:rolleyes:

especially if you light them (for added oomph you could also add a sprinkle of fertilizer :D)

Watched the little lovelies bringing in yellow and orange pollens. :)

Crocuses, snowdrops and narcissi are all out now, along with hellebores and hazel catkins. But it sounds as if they will all be obliterated tomorrow, or the day after.... Just as well the (native) primroses have already finished flowering!! :eek:

Yup but only about 6" the fence is about 4ft tall, built it around there regular path but can only hope they take no notice,

Going by the responses from those of us who have badgers, it sounds as if you will be OK! Even 6" must have been hard.

Checked to see that all the hives still strapped down...then retreated to the house. Hanging on for dear life as the wind buffeted me.
Warm and cosy in the house but stumbled over 2 large boxes....delivered earlier by Royal Mail, in the doorway.....
Couldn't think what they contained as my deliveries from Mannlake and Thornes had already been delivered....imagine my surprise when I realised it was my Flow Hive and Flow Frames. The sweet smell of cedar fills the room now. OH is busy studying the comprehensive Instruction Booklet.
It may only ever be a Objet D'Art....unless we get a good summer...but at least I get to see at first hand this interesting development in honey harvesting.

Eagerly wait to go to bees, since my "pay job" don't let me during a week.. It suddenly broke warm weather and as been told bees are painting landing boards in yellow of hazel pollen. Also crowded on snowdrops.. Tomorrow making first fondants for " winter" ( I use them as stimulus not as need for food)..
On Sunday I hope I will have some time between works to at least visit them..
I can't wait to see if cornel is in flower, if is.. That means in such warm weather first significant nectar in flow ( for bees, not for extraction of course).

One hive quite busy this morning, everybody else asleep. Some gorse is starting up the hill....just would like a little less wind.

Latest posts

Back