What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a wet Sunday.

Mucked out and turned out the horses...brought in the pregnant mare so she could dry off a bit. Checked the hives...all quiet...no flying today.
Out for scrumptious Sunday lunch...now feel fat and sloth like....

Managed to get out on Saturday and put on some Neopoll.

Glad to see the hive is packed full of bees :)

Stood for 20 minutes (nice dry, slightly sunny, morning but breezy and cold) watching all three hives very busy coming and going with some big loads of whitish grey and yellow pollen coming in to all three hives - the yellow is almost certainly blue crocus as there's a lot about locally in council beds but not sure what the other is ... there are some fairly exotic gardens locally and the weather is confusing the hell out of a lot of plants so may be an early tree pollen ?

Yesterday helped my brother move his first hive into his garden.
Had a bit of fun locating where to put it, the initial site near a stream beside the house on thinking about it looked likely to be a frost trap / wind tunnel in winter, so we chose a spot at the far end of his garden, sheltered by a hedge and in view of the house, which will catch the sunrise and should get a bit of shade from the direct sun around midday by a single small tree.

It was a 50 mile trip so no worries about the bees finding their way back :)

Nil flying here today, too B'y cold.
Put some "tainted" honey in contact feeders (6 pounds in each) on 2 hives as they were a bit light.
I don't eat honey so I rely on my Q.A. manager or wife as she prefers to be called to give me quality assurance advice. We think it was a salad cream bucket to blame, we now have lots of 'cheap' real honey buckets to use for next year.

Seemed like a good idea at the time!! :mad:

Might have lost some bees today, they were flying well today then when i was in the house we had a sudden 10minute hail shower the size of peas :-(

Don't worry, I bet they knew it was coming.
Many times I've stood watching the bees flying on a warm sunny day to see them suddenly all pile in as if it was the end of the world and five minutes later.......a heavy shower appeared from nowhere.

Don't worry, I bet they knew it was coming.
Many times I've stood watching the bees flying on a warm sunny day to see them suddenly all pile in as if it was the end of the world and five minutes later.......a heavy shower appeared from nowhere.

+ 1 ... Caught me out in the middle of an inspection in summer .. all of a sudden all the bees started cramming back in and I wondered what the devil was happening ... started to close up and by the time I'd got it back together I was drenched ... just wonder how they know !!

Happy beekeeper today coming into my second year and first winter I had my first real showing of the bees today, 11deg with sunny spells and pollen coming in too. Bees having a spring clean too, Verroa drop only 2 in 72hrs after having a troubled first season with Verroa and DWV, onward and upward just need to keep an eye on the stores.

Just had a look at the garden hives and all flying strongly - thermometer says 12 degrees, but it feels colder - my fingers are cold and that isn't normal! (Stony cold heart though).

both my hives were flying in large numbers today, seem fit and very active.
A pleasant surprise as I've only seen 3 bees since the new year and it was still misty and not particularly warm here this afternoon (12C and 98% humidity)

Did a drive by on the way home from work, I've not checked them since treatment in December. Bees busy from all the hives, I love this time of year.

Checked fondant level on 2 weakest hives, still about 1kg of the 2 1/2kg block left. Strongest hive hefted still neavy.

Bees flying as though there is a flow in progress. A little orange pollen going in. I think the bees were collecting water from the reservoir to help process the mustard/ivy honey I left on.

Looked at the willow buds which are now breaking, expect to open in 7 days.

Bees busy from all the hives, I love this time of year.

Me too
Countryside seems to be holding its breath before the spring.....
and so am I....looking forward to that first look in.
The bees take every opportunity to get on the crocuses and the apiary willow is just days away; all we need is some fine weather.

Finally a pleasant day in the East Riding. Five of six hives busy with orange pollen. Checked the weak colony and still plenty of fondant present but very few bees and a cold crown board. I'm thinking the queen is either dead or duff and the workers are dwindling. Will be interesting to autopsy this hive.

stood in the garden today and watched the bees coming from the hive there thinking I must move it before the season starts. It was so busy going to move it next week I think if I can find some poor soul to help me lift it.

All hives flying yesterday: yellow and white pollen in masses. Added fondant to one hive.

Poly hive most active followed by a large TBH which appears full of honey.. (through hefting.. I don't inspect them until end March at earliest)

Cats and dogs day today...

both my hives were flying in large numbers today, seem fit and very active.
A pleasant surprise as I've only seen 3 bees since the new year and it was still misty and not particularly warm here this afternoon (12C and 98% humidity)

Reached the heady temps of 8 C here in deepest Derbyshire. Bees out for the first time since way back in last year. Bees around the entrances of my 3 hives but no pollen yet. Mind you the snowdrops only burst bud yesterday. Rain siling down here; it will be some weeks before I open up. Snow and sleet forecast for weekend so it will be down to the pub (yes we still have one) for a pie, a pint and the rugby.

Back