What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could be fun doing the fencing today, bright sunny day the bees will be out, i cant lock them in they wont get many days like this to be out, heres hoping they are nice to me :)

Too cold here for any flying. A good day to dig a new spud patch and think about plan bee.
Cazza

Too cold here for any flying. A good day to dig a new spud patch and think about plan bee.
Cazza

Ive had to stop! Full sun on hives, bees everywhere, dont know the temps but i was just in a sweatshirt, cool wind but a bit of warmth in the sun :)

Planted some croci which were a present. While I had the spade out I also started running some cat5e cable in a buried conduit towards the apiary from the house (future project which could be a long job).

got caught in snow storm......

sunny again now so i can go back outside.

i wish it would make its mind up

Helped with fondant at Association apiary. 4C and snow on hills.

Any flying bees were soon dead..

Fed my own bees more fondant this pm. Not happy as a COLD wind... but lousy forecast for next few days.. so needs must. First sting of year...

Cold and sleety here as well nothing moving bee wise at home - can't check the Carreg apiary as it's a shooting day;so after sorting the chickens out (the three new ones are beginning to settle in now - after three weeks!)spent some time in the chamber of secrets

Got my fence done in the end, bees were still flying but werent bothered, i had to duck a few times. Lovely day although a big cloud came over & it hailstoned for about a minute , it soon blew over. Who said its grim up North :)

Cold and sleety here as well nothing moving bee wise at home - can't check the Carreg apiary as it's a shooting day;so after sorting the chickens out (the three new ones are beginning to settle in now - after three weeks!)spent some time in the chamber of secrets

What do you shoot in the chamber of secrets?

.......perhaps you shouldn't answer that

Freezing in Dundrod, Co Antrim. Snow showers earlier today. No bee activity. So spent all day drinking beer.........wine this evening..........red too.

A chilly 4 degrees here brrrr....

Hives are storming through the fondant and are hefting quite light now despite being 14x12s packed with ivy and h.balsam stores a few months back. Nice big clusters seen through Perspex in most and warm to touch crown boards.

Continued the job of scraping and cleaning down supers and propolis from Manley frames. Only another 20 odd supers to go! Not too keen on this particular job.

Wrote to the new owners of a local country estate hoping for a spot in the grounds to pop a few hives - fingers crossed.

found a comatose bee on the alighting board. Put her into an empty washed Nutella glass and later released her by the same hive, hope she makes it.

Checked all hives today, the 2 with fondant on have started to consume it, about 1/2 of 2.5kg block gone. The other hive which has a super under the brood box is still relatively heavy. Will leave off giving this one fondant or horrible ivy/mustard honey, which I took off tis hive in October, for a week or so.
Checked willow trees buds opening so should be open in 7 -10 days.

Still got some supers to make, bit too cold today under the carport for this.

Can you not do them in front of the sitting room fire??

After the mess of the exploding battery I have been banned to the outside. Can't get into the garage, tractor lawn mowers and rotovator in there - too much trouble to start everything and put it back.

Best way, I find, is to cradle her in your hot palm then let her go when she starts buzzing.

Ive revived a good few in a glass with fine mesh on the top with a hairdryer, not too close or they spin around a bit. I picked 6 off the side of a nuc which you would swear were dead, they all came around & went back to the nuc, lovely to see :)

Best way, I find, is to cradle her in your hot palm then let her go when she starts buzzing.

I tried that, sat there for 5 min waiting for her to come back to life and buzz, she then stung me and flew off:hairpull:

Horizontal snow & sleet today, complete contrast to yesterday, i think i 'll make some trout flies :)

Back