What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JBM
I appreciate you may not want to bother with this reply but........
I'm sorry - but the continuous digs at the Welsh as being living on the Englishtaxpayers all the time does get more than a tad tiresome, upsetting and may I say racist - if it was any other group of people on here (as has been demonstrated recently) forumites would be up in arms. We pay our taxes and NI too you know.
As for my personal work situation; I have served the Crown (the British Crown I may add) for nigh on thirty years in one guise or another - long hours (how does a 24 hour shift with no discernible break grab you) put my health and safety on the line on more than one occasion during my career for not fantastic money but the promise (now reneged) of a decent pension at the end of it. Being spat at, sh@t at and shot at and loved every minute of it.
Now, thanks to an injury sustained in the line of duty (I won't go into details) They stuck me in an office and gave me no work to do - how demoralising do you think that is eh? The only way to cope is to make light of it
Finally I have found a job I can do again, it will mean a lot of travelling which does my injury no good, a lot of time away from home (used to that, but now I don;t get paid any extra for it,tight schedules and loads of desk work. Being allowed to work from home means I can divide my day up to give me plenty of breaks away from the desk which aggravates my injury but means I have to work on into the night to meet my targets it does mean I can factor in little jobs I need to do in daylight in the exchange for working at night. It also means, as the Blackberry cn not be turned off for any period of time I get emails even on a bank holiday.
But do you know what? I'd swap it for my old job in a flash.
Less digs at the Welsh please, it's both hurtful and upsetting most of us are proud to be British - just look at the disproportionate number of volunteers (most of whom could have claimed reserved occupation status) in either world war.

Works both ways JBM :)
I had a welsh born oppo when in the mob .
He explained his father had lived in Wales 27 years , he was a member of various organisations and was allowed vote , stipulation being ,he could only raise his arm half way up :)
He insisted it was true but was done very much tongue in cheek :)
There's such banter between towns / villages let alone countries .
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

United two hives, or rather husband did under supervision :) Have done something awful to a shoulder and am high on cocodamol all day and nursing a heat pad at the moment.

Watched the bees busy foraging in the not so good conditions and strong winds. Ordered a new queen to replace the drone layer we had at the association apiary, wouldn't usually have bothered, but they are suck a strong colony it was worth a crack.

Sulphur smoked a poly BB. Wax moth grubs had burrowed right into it. Deep holes about 3/4 inch, unlike the surface damage they do to wood. Will keep a closer eye in future.

Are they for a specific trait, or have you gone over to the Dark Side?

.......i am your father, Luke... no not going over to the dark side, but i do like bees from the different sub species.

They will be kept in an isolated place as a separate line, and some will be used elswhere for some new combinations.

Last edited:
Went to put on HMs thymol treatment on all hives today, managed to get one apiary done before the rain came in. Good to see the weather people got it right again today, sposed to be nice and sunny all day. Wrong!!.

Also applied thymol to most of my hives, combined two hives and went to Kew to remove their supers and start thymol.

Went to put on HMs thymol treatment on all hives today, managed to get one apiary done before the rain came in. Good to see the weather people got it right again today, sposed to be nice and sunny all day. Wrong!!.

Worry not ... there's a nice hurricane heading across the atlantic at present and that should drive the Azores high pressure back up to us again and we could well see some really nice warm weather during the first weeks of September ... Where's Roola got to ?

Worry not ... there's a nice hurricane heading across the atlantic at present and that should drive the Azores high pressure back up to us again and we could well see some really nice warm weather during the first weeks of September ... Where's Roola got to ?

That's no good im back to work next week when the schools go back, and before anyone says anything no I don't get payed for all the school holidays. I only get payed 39weeks!!!

Counted varroa drop on trays one week after MAQS. About 150 on trays from 3 colonies but less than 15 mites each from 20 other colonies. Interestingly the queens from the colonies with the higher counts all from same mother.

Wow ... real isobars ... how I miss REAL weather forecasts on the TV ... this site just shows you the raw information - no dumbed down user friendly symbols ... if you only have the most basic grasp of where our weather comes from you can do your own predictions with this site. Terrific ...

:iagree:

Miss that on the TV - you could ignore all the rubbish the clown standing in front of the chart was telling you and work out for yourself what the weather was doing - the beeb have even dumbed down the shipping forecasts - they used to list the 'actuals' on the end of each forecast (wind strength,direction, what the barometer was doing and visibility at various weather stations across the UK) you could then draw your own isobars and work out your own forecast.

Last edited:
Back