What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Helped to set up Sheffield Beeks Honey show table at the local Horticulture bash today.
Thursday went back to check a super put above the clearer board to be greeted by the roar of bees clearing it. Little buzzies have propolised the escapes. Ahh well I am sure they will put it to good use. I have had one full super off. Maybe a bit more later when they have calmed down.

We have just finished our first honey harvest. In total we got 76 jars with an average weight of 355g. Not bad for a first year that started with a package of bees at the end of April!

I know I can't be objective but this honey tastes so good! This first batch is for gifts and personal use, I use a lot since my drink of choice is a loaded teaspoon of honey in a cup of hot water. Next year when I get 3 hives up and running I might try my hand selling some. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQeKaeHNzcM

I am completely shattered! I take my hat off to the big guys running tens or hundreds of colonies!

Today I've mostly been rotating my 5 clearer boards on and off 9 hives! Next year I will make sure I have 9 clearer boards, one for each hive!

Supers ready for extraction are stacked and waiting for more to come off another 4 hives, some wets for clearing are back on a few hives and some dry supers are freezing ready for later storage!

Found one hive has made supercedure cells 3 weeks after a new HM buckfast mated queen was introduced! We can't have that! She's laid up 3 frames of brood and looks perfect so not sure what the girls are thinking of! :hairpull:

just finished moving another hive to the new apiary.

I'll wait until dusk to open.

I was surprised today, I used my failthful rhombus clearing board, which has usually proved very successful to clear down a super, put it on at 12.00 noon, I'd expected it to be clear after 4-5 hours, and bees still in the super, many!!! not just a few!

maybe the weather, as it's been hissing down all day....

Probably all be back up in it tomorrow, when I check in the am, I'll have to shake them off!

Oh well....roll on tomorrow...

Started checking the colony but they were getting a little too feisty for my liking so called it a day and put on some MAQs.

Didn't get stung on the face today so it went a lot better than the last attempt.

Checked one of the hives, and the bees were still in the super, despite the rhombus clearer board being on, for overnight.

Removed clearer board and re-assembled hive, this super can be left on, and I'll try again, later this week, when treating with MAQS, or leave on with the MAQS as this is possible.

Went to the last two hives in Apiary 2, and put clearer boards on both hives. This is in preparation for moving a hive or hives this evening.

Cleared up after 20 teenagers camped on my site (with my permission). There were some sore heads this morning lol.

Due to holidays and awful weather I havn't been into the hives since the 28th July.

Had to finally say goodbye to the Queen in Hive 1, she has been a trooper and this was her third season but had become a Drone layer so she has now gone to the great Hive in the sky. But on a good note her daughter (raised this year) has filled a 5 frame Nuc since last inspection, so will unite over the next week.

Hive 2 wall to wall brood and filled super just not capped. Not sure if I should add another super due to the Heather, but have increased the spacing of the Super frames.

Hive 3 is quite interesting. This was the Q+ side of an A/s of Hive 4. All frames drawn out perfectly but it seems that the A/S has increased her vigour as all frames are laid with BIAS (prior to the split she was very slow and the frames were always only part laid)

Hive 4 No sign of a queen or eggs so will give this one another week. 6 super frames drawn with some capping.

Beautiful day here today, but the bees are ignoring the Heather in favour of the 30 foot eucalyptus which has just come into flower.

Took Arran with me again, only a quick check today. Hive 1, BIAS seen and queen marked. I'm glad he was there to see this as it was something he has been asking me about this week. She is another lovely pale queen, daughter of Hive 2's queen. Hive 2, much quieter this week. BIAS seen and tucked back up. Took another super, and placed another under BB of Hive 2 for them to take up. Well, that's the plan anyway.........

Inspected one hive at the association apiary and confirmed DLQ (ths was the QC side of a Pagden A/S last month which obviously has failed to mate properly) ahook them out and left the hive back in the original spotuntil the next action is decided. Prepared a hive there for moving temporarily to Brynmair (easier than trying to move it from Soweto to the teaching part of the apiary.)
Strapped up two hives at Brynmair for moving to Carreg out apiary. Bees very busy at home today brining loads of orangey yellow and grey/white pollen in nectar coming in from somewehre as well going by the smell around the hives.

Counted varroa drops.
Nothing else to do except equipment maintenance. Boring.........
Cazza

Introduced a couple more Irish AMM queens to hives, among numerous other jobs....it's raining again now.

Checked supers added one more but I think that must be it as the last of the HB is just about done so sat and watched the delightful movement of bees at the entrance, what an end to a wonderful summer

Checked supers added one more but I think that must be it as the last of the HB is just about done

:iagree: starting to plan my last extraction now - have to do some 'home working' on the next project I'm given I think (I can't believe I'm saying this but) aren't laptops and Blackberry smart phones great!

:iagree: starting to plan my last extraction now - have to do some 'home working' on the next project I'm given I think (I can't believe I'm saying this but) aren't laptops and Blackberry smart phones great!

Almost as good as a TomTom and dead impressed with a chromecast my daughters boyfriend bought me, I'm trying to keep up honestly

Three supers have clearer boards on.
Most will be uncapped so rather than nadiring the supers I'm going to spin out the honey and feed it back.
That will leave three colonies with one super each still on, two unites to do so hopefully be down to six boxes for winter with another unite maybe in spring

PS still lots of white bees coming in but stores are less than I would expect and supers half hearted.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back