What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Printed some labels. The labels I ordered weren't the size that I thought I ordered, so when I stuck them on the jars they were too big, ugh. Need to order more so in the mean time I've used last years labels which I wasn't overly happy with.

Checked a few nucs, some of the queens have began laying at long last. Managed to find one and mark her. Another nuc the queen cell never hatched so been broodless for a few weeks now so shook them out.

Christened my new bee suit

Have been looking at it for a few days whilst wearing one of my old suits- too nice to use

:winner1st:Watched the bees working a very heavy flow from the bramble and clover which are both flowering very well with big healthy flowers.:winner1st:

Nothing at all, the bees are good for a while.
My daughter is home from Australia so we've been making our way around various Nature Reserves.

22.24 and a good old hum coming from the hives tonight, and at 5.00 in the morning they where flying well. Looks like they have been hard at it all day!!!

22.24 and a good old hum coming from the hives tonight, and at 5.00 in the morning they where flying well. Looks like they have been hard at it all day!!!

Out at 5:00am, now that’s impressive 👌

I was amazed at how much flying there was here today between very heavy showers and thunderstorms.

Light and humid yesterday morning pouring this morning although there making up for it atm

Checked nucs and hives for stores. Bramble just starting to flower but too much rain to take much advantage of it.
Looks like brood breaks and honey consumption has been in order of the month of June - coinciding with the gap in forage.
Glad I hadn't taken the Spring honey off....
Located a good looking laying queen in a colony that had swarmed at least once��

Last edited:
Today in the association Apiary, we had an interesting session. Last week the mentors went through one of the hives and were alarmed at a sudden declined and what looked like EFB. Lots of brood dead shrivelled, discoloured to a pale pink, sunken cells, uneven comb and starting to smell awful. Also a high proportion of drones. The Bee Inspector was called at the weekend to do a field test, which showed negative. Nonetheless she was not happy and put an embargo on movement until results of testing on a frame sent to the NBU.

Yesterday the results came back after examination of the whole frame by the NBU. Failing Queen was diagnosed. It was a young Queen and we concluded must have been poorly mated. She ran out of sperm and was only laying drones so the workers gave up the will to carry on and discontinued feeding and caring for the brood. Today we shook all what was left of the hive into a nuc with new frames to await a fresh Queen. We burnt all the old frames as many of them were now infected with wax moth and were smelling of decay. But all us beginners got the chance to examine the frames before destruction as they did really look like EFB, so it was a good learning experience.

Today in the association Apiary, we had an interesting session. Last week the mentors went through one of the hives and were alarmed at a sudden declined and what looked like EFB. Lots of brood dead shrivelled, discoloured to a pale pink, sunken cells, uneven comb and starting to smell awful. Also a high proportion of drones. The Bee Inspector was called at the weekend to do a field test, which showed negative. Nonetheless she was not happy and put an embargo on movement until results of testing on a frame sent to the NBU.

Yesterday the results came back after examination of the whole frame by the NBU. Failing Queen was diagnosed. It was a young Queen and we concluded must have been poorly mated. She ran out of sperm and was only laying drones so the workers gave up the will to carry on and discontinued feeding and caring for the brood. Today we shook all what was left of the hive into a nuc with new frames to await a fresh Queen. We burnt all the old frames as many of them were now infected with wax moth and were smelling of decay. But all us beginners got the chance to examine the frames before destruction as they did really look like EFB, so it was a good learning experience.
Good post Julie
A sight I have never seen in a live hive. Worth noting
E

(excerpt)
"... so the workers gave up the will to carry on and discontinued
feeding and caring for the brood.
"

Indeed most odd.

Bill

Checked nucs and hives for stores. Bramble just starting to flower but too much rain to take much advantage of it.
Looks like brood breaks and honey consumption has been in order of the month of June - coinciding with the gap in forage.
Glad I hadn't taken the Spring honey off....
Located a good looking laying queen in a colony that had swarmed at least once��
Bees never cease to amaze.
Checked hives here after a 10 day break. Wet weather meant the bees were mostly cooped up inside the hives and whilst they'd made lots of play cups, none of the queens had laid in them. Combination of boredom and a brood break??

Good post Julie
Worth noting

Have seen it many times over the years, can easily be mistaken for EFB at first glance, difference is generally the larvae are of different ages and not all as contorted as with EFB.

Have seen it many times over the years, can easily be mistaken for EFB at first glance, difference is generally the larvae are of different ages and not all as contorted as with EFB.

That there is both a comfort and a clue, in that EFB remains distinctive.
Thing is though, being prolific as is now being stated(reinforced) there has to
then be even circumstantial markers for such an event?

Bill

Thing is though, being prolific as is now being stated(reinforced) there has to
then be even circumstantial markers for such an event?

Bill

And what on earth is that sentence supposed to mean? Just speak plain English and your posts would be so more enjoyable!
E

Back