What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a goodly bunch, you probably will never know as Millet said. Hope they are docile and not some mean hybrid.

Defensive little orange bitters , I've just put them in a brood box, in the rain I couldn't leave them any longer, makes me feel bad leaving them to hang of a tree in the rain .

I don't know about clear hill apiary! More like clee hill sanctuary !

Last edited:
Defensive little orange bitters , I've just put them in a brood box, in the rain I couldn't leave them any longer, makes me feel bad leaving them to hang of a tree in the rain .

I don't know about clear hill apiary! More like clee hill sanctuary !

Lets just hope its the weather making them grumpy. Anyhow you can put them to work drawing loads of comb for you.

Lets just hope its the weather making them grumpy. Anyhow you can put them to work drawing loads of comb for you.

I hope so to, I'll unite with another colony if so .
Swarms can draw comb out quickly if feed syrup straight away .
I'll have lots of drawn comb at the end of the season and hardly any honey If the summer stays like this .
Saying that the Hb flows last year were really good and were better than my early summer honey crop.

Last edited:
I hope so to, I'll unite with another colony if so .
Swarms can draw comb out quickly if feed syrup straight away .
I'll have lots of drawn comb at the end of the season and hardly any honey If the summer stays like this .
Saying that the Hb flows last year were really good and were better than my early summer honey crop.

Well at the worst you will have good comb ready for next spring, get them to draw brood frames as well.

Lovely sunny day today so all inspections done and no QCs in sight. Most still very strong and 2 were fed a piece of fondant

3 Peter stofen queens arrived this morning also, so all now in nucs to build up before requeening 3 hives later in the year

Mixed 150kg of 1:1 syrup and fed some colonies in need. Poor weather has caused a brood break and with no supers on I took the opportunity of vaping as the varroa is a little high in some colonies.
Released plenty of queens from push in cages. Excellent acceptance rate, except... one colony had two marked queens in it (one still under the cage) and another had an unmarked queen.

Watched a hedge sparrow eating my dead bees. Watched a bumblebee enter a hive. Fitted a reduced entrance to said hive.

Used the green pen. Couldn't find the other one or could have been twice!

Think I need to requeen my biggest colony, very defensive as soon as I opened up. Her daughter colony is very placid, but her lot aren't! When would be a good time to do this, bearing in mind potential flow coming up?

Found the first 2019 laying Queen of the year..I stuck a white dot on her and clipped a wing..another colony that I thought had a mated queen has a drone laying Queen..I will find and deal with her soon..
So much for this June gap..my last of 19 supers went on today..ten of which are on two very strong colonies on double brood with no sign of slowing down..I will have to extract some soon or start using deeps for super if I can reach that high..:rolleyes:

Quick inspection in the break between showers, marked last years queen that we handn't bothered with, but decided it made inspections easier, but not sure its the same one we started with as she appears much more yellow? other hive still lots of drones from when they had laying workers but lots of capped worker brood to.
both had reasonable stores so wont have to feed.

Yellow queens always seem to find their way under my foot :) Strangely enough, this happened again on Friday and her colony now has a beautiful, black replacement.
Marked a few more 2019 queens in the pouring rain.

On 9th June(entry 25808) I reported finding evidence of laying workers and attached a photo showing multiple eggs per cell.
Today it stopped raining for a few hours so I intended to open that hive to shake them out and was delighted to find a large queen and all her sealed brood was worker and laid in a compact pattern. Some queens do start up laying like this and it caught me out. Unfortunately didn't have my camera with me.

Last edited:
On 9th June(entry 25808) Some queens do start up laying like this and it caught me out. Unfortunately didn't have my camera with me.

Exactly this observed earlier. Some cells with 4 eggs, yet others with one egg in prime placement. Some nice frames of BIAS so think she's just still working it all out.

..I will have to extract some soon or start using deeps for super if I can reach that high..:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
Then try using English language better

Latest posts

Back