What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Painted 32 abelo brood boxes in my trademark camouflage pattern ;)

Doubling up the brood on a number of colonies this Friday.

Excited to see how these compare to the swienty
4ed0395fadada4a2e04356c1d2c95b3c.jpg
2f7c35f1702eee0155e5b5d7f8404c39.jpg
f6bb695e25a0c6d09a908b8eed9ff71c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Just need a couple of mauser machine guns in those and that should deter hive thefts

Painted 32 abelo brood boxes in my trademark camouflage pattern ;)

Doubling up the brood on a number of colonies this Friday.

Excited to see how these compare to the swienty
4ed0395fadada4a2e04356c1d2c95b3c.jpg
2f7c35f1702eee0155e5b5d7f8404c39.jpg
f6bb695e25a0c6d09a908b8eed9ff71c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Niiiiice!! We should have a separate thread for these paint jobs - brilliant inspiration for other beeks

Rehomed a swarm I picked up. the 1st this year

Collected 4 swarms in the last week although i did not have to leave my apiary for two of them. One rehomed itself in an empty hive and another was sitting in a bkackthorn bush about a yard away from a nuc that i was just about to move to a full hive as bursting at the seams. Put the small cast in the nuc after the previous occupants given a new home. A new take on hot bunking. Best was a prime swarm removed from the back of a small hatchback in local small town.

With help of my association I removed the last two colonies from my apiary at home, as I've given up due to not really having sufficient time to look after them all properly, plus an increasing dread of the neighbours getting stung (again).

I think I'll miss them but will suddenly be able to do all sorts of other things at the weekend :)

With help of my association I removed the last two colonies from my apiary at home, as I've given up due to not really having sufficient time to look after them all properly, plus an increasing dread of the neighbours getting stung (again).

I think I'll miss them but will suddenly be able to do all sorts of other things at the weekend :)

Live long and prosper........ you'll come back to them I'm sure sometime in the future

Inspected mine today lots of nectar coming in and bees all lovely and calm. Queens laying well and mite counts low.:winner1st:

Cheked a hive I left 2 open cells in a split I did on 30th April hoping for a laying Queen.Found 12 sealed cells,all with (not so) young virgins in wow had they been in there some time! 2 had hatched out and dissappeared before I could get to them. Killed all the rest which is a shame but I have no spare kit left.

Used one to requeen a poor colony with really patchy brood I just squished the old Q and put the virgin in a queen cage blocked with some wax,will this work?

What was supposed to be a quick hive stand change turned out to be a PITA..i was busy working elsewhere so i changed the stand for a new one in good time..i had half an hour spare so i decided to have a peak in the brood box..not looked in there yet this spring..what i was greeted with was around 12 Queen cells in all stages..in a rush i grabbed all the kit to do another Pagden and placed the origional colony on the new site and the empty box that contained two drawn foundation and eight undrawn on the old site ready to take a frame of brood and the Queen minus Queen cells..
Three sweeps of the hive and Queen was nowhere to be seen...time was running out so i split the hive in half..i left one Queen cell on the original spot with four frames of brood in all stages and put three supers of four back on top and closed up..
As i was going through the Queen cells on the new site i found a Queen cell emerging i quickly shook the other three brood frames and destroyed every Queen cell...i then filled the remaining space with undrawn and drawn foundation and stuck the remaining fourth super on top..
I still managed to get back to the job in hand on time lets hope this rushed AS worked..:rolleyes:

Collected a swarm out of a bush at end of apiary. Not sure if mine, but on inspection of the Q+ side of the split I did on Sat, it appears that they have made emergency cells from the eggs I left them with. Gave them another super as they have been furiously collecting this week.

Tore down all but one QC from Q- side.

What was supposed to be a quick hive stand change turned out to be a PITA..i was busy working elsewhere so i changed the stand for a new one in good time..i had half an hour spare so i decided to have a peak in the brood box..not looked in there yet this spring..what i was greeted with was around 12 Queen cells in all stages..in a rush i grabbed all the kit to do another Pagden and placed the origional colony on the new site and the empty box that contained two drawn foundation and eight undrawn on the old site ready to take a frame of brood and the Queen minus Queen cells..
Three sweeps of the hive and Queen was nowhere to be seen...time was running out so i split the hive in half..i left one Queen cell on the original spot with four frames of brood in all stages and put three supers of four back on top and closed up..
As i was going through the Queen cells on the new site i found a Queen cell emerging i quickly shook the other three brood frames and destroyed every Queen cell...i then filled the remaining space with undrawn and drawn foundation and stuck the remaining fourth super on top..
I still managed to get back to the job in hand on time lets hope this rushed AS worked..:rolleyes:
Well there is one swarm you never missed!

Well there is one swarm you never missed!

The same happened last week..i went through the Queen side of a Pagden on the original spot to see if the Queen had got laying but the clipped and marked Queen was nowhere to be seen...what i did find was several Queen cells..one of which was slightly open with a proboscis poking in and out..so i did the same as yesterday and knocked all the remaining cells down and left them too it..it was a stroke of luck really on both occasions.

How can she swarm if she only has one wing..

Who told you they wouldn't?

They can fly a fair distance with a clipped wing, then crash into the scrub and never seen again - bees rturn to the hive, wait for the first QC to emerge, then off they go again, a prime swarm but headed by a virgin

Latest posts

Back