What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couple days ago had to merge one, was suspicious watching the entrance and it lost a queen, right on time before temp decrease. Now the rest is some oxalic in end of November/ beginning of December and 1st fondants around 1st February..
In spring completely changing everything since honey price is nearing toward imported chinese " honey". If I feel snap in my brain I will leave one colony per each apiary, since here the dumber - the better.. May sound you crazy but we are here motivated to produce less or none..

Get them directly from Thornes, cheaper than via e bay... and free postage for that number.

eBay item number:
Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.

Paid £8.99 each for the same... back in the summer when I realised I did not have the time to make another 40+Asforth feeders!

Chons da

Couple days ago had to merge one, was suspicious watching the entrance and it lost a queen, right on time before temp decrease. Now the rest is some oxalic in end of November/ beginning of December and 1st fondants around 1st February..
In spring completely changing everything since honey price is nearing toward imported chinese " honey". If I feel snap in my brain I will leave one colony per each apiary, since here the dumber - the better.. May sound you crazy but we are here motivated to produce less or none..

We have the same problem here, but that is not our market. You have to sell to the niche market of customers wanting real honey for health benefits not cooking honey.

Not today but yesterday..

checked on a three way merge (queen right Nuc, but queen damaged so removed, Queenless Nuc and mating Nuc with queen) all good and queen laying well.
removed the last four QE's from hives I hadn't got around to and spent a few hours painting hives, it was nice just watching them go about their business in the sun while doing so.

Fed some hives the last of the fondant and gave a couple of weak nucs a frame or two from some of the stronger hives that were nadired going into September.

They are absolutely roaring!

Definitely going to have surplus stores come the new year.

Great for making up nucs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSFqiufXHp0

Last edited:
Rowse honey is non-eu in Sainsbury's tells a story me thinks.

After being kept awake by mice playing football with rat bait in my loft, I thought the mouse guards needed to go on. So did that on all three and added second block of fondant to one. Watched the activity and was amazed at the amount of pollen going in.

What's Sainsbury's? is it a county in England?

What kind of story? the one that says that demand for British honey outstrips supply and people are prepared to pay a sensible price?
Rowse also buys tons and tons of British honey, can't get enough of it.

Rowse sell lots of different honey from around the world...they also sell English honey, and pay a good bulk price for it.

What's Sainsbury's? is it a county in England?

What kind of story? the one that says that demand for British honey outstrips supply and people are prepared to pay a sensible price?
Rowse also buys tons and tons of British honey, can't get enough of it.

Dont be a muppet its 1 of those new fangled supermarket things...better than Tescos but not quite Waitrose, am sure there will be 1 on a hillside near you shortly

Fed some hives the last of the fondant and gave a couple of weak nucs a frame or two from some of the stronger hives that were nadired going into September.

They are absolutely roaring!

Definitely going to have surplus stores come the new year.

Great for making up nucs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSFqiufXHp0

They look happy ....:rolleyes:

I'd just cracked the lid, no smoke and nicked two frames of honey in 8c weather. Can't blame them

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Rowse sell lots of different honey from around the world...they also sell English honey, and pay a good bulk price for it.
I wish they could have bought our honey directly from us, not from our mafia.

You have described our market. Though we don't import chinese honey the price here is $1.4/kg now. Many goods cost as ones in the Western Europe, something is even more expensive. I know a man who sells baby clothes from Britain. His business is thriving. He purchases it in London, transports through Europe and succesfully sell it here. I can't explain this miracle. Thire is a factory in my city which produces adult clothing and export it to the Western Europe.
Back to the honey. Today it costs nothing here as well as walnuts, milk etc. All those nice things are produced by small farms and villagers who are struggling to survive in this country. Then those things are either transformed into "goods" and arrive to supermarkets or exported. Mafia (officials, customs, companies tied with the government) - all those guys float in gold while the country gets nothing.
Back to the honey. The price is slo-o-o-owly going up. This year Ukraine lost a lot of apiaries (I described the issue). Total yeald is substantially smaller than usual. Beekeepers also don't want to sell honey by $1.4. They are waiting for the higher price knowing that even in Moldova and Belarus honey costs $2 and more. So the warehauses are half empty. Honey export has fallen to 40% and Ukraine has successfully lost its position of top 3 exporters because of someone's avarice.
Another issue is that big Russian market is closed by their mad emperor. Neither export nor smuggling are possible to Russia.
Back to the honey. This weekend an old lady came to buy some jars of honey. By the way she asked me why I'm not married. She said she knows some nice girls who would be glad etc... Well, I said that I'm not going to... until 100 hives at least. "How long does it take? Year or two?", she asked. "Twenty. I'm not hurry. I like the process." ;)

Last edited:
They were collecting smears of honey from my fingers and all over the phone! :)

Its a note 8. Probably thought it was going to explode!

They were collecting smears of honey from my fingers and all over the phone! :)

Its a note 8. Probably thought it was going to explode!

OR they wanted to use the phone to tell the other bee's some one had absconded with there golden delicious:paparazzi:

From four twenty this afternoon, getting cooler, sun low in the sky, just watched bees flooding back home in all three hives - it was raining bees. I so admire their industriousness and ability to use the maximum amount of time available in a day.

Back