What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Added some fondant to two colonies, which should last until the weather warms up in a weeks time.
Put out two bait hives, it worked last year, the swarm I caught became my strongest hive, from a small cast on May 2nd, stronger than the two nuc’s I purchased.

Acquired my first bee sting of the year and very painful it was too on the inside of my little finger. Picking up branches from the ground to put onto the bonfire and unknowingly picked up a bee too. Water carriers everywhere! Must have been a young one as it had plenty of Melittin in it judging by my reaction. Ouch!

Checked the bees from afar around midday and they were flying.

Checked back about 15:00 for a closer look and noticed about 20 bees to the side and rear of the hive, they weren't moving but most were carrying pollen. When I brushed them they were alive. I assume just got caught by the cold, it was about 6-7 degrees here.

Decided I should feed them just in case, so removed the (empty) poly feeder I had on the hive, put on a abelo poly crown board and a few kg of bakers fondant. Looked to be about 8 seams of bees and they did look to have stores.

Used new nail gun and made up 10 14x12 frames.

Nothing done today due to the rain at the hives but..... was in the garage painting 2 empty hives reafy to swap them over into when it warms up. Countryfole weather says its getting upto 17 degrees by Thursday this week....

Built 2 roofs for my new hives I built last week. Bit of a faff for dartingtons, but look nice when finished.

Checked the nucs for fondant ... lots of bees, flying - but topped up with a little more fondant to keep them going. Don't want to lose any just as we are coming into Spring.

Finally took frame into hands today.. Seems bees are in accordance to last year 7-10 days " late"..
One colony which was attacked by some marten.. seems suffered some, it has only 2 frames of brood.. The rest as I saw are 4-6 frames with brood ( few started laying into 7th frame). Next week it will accelerate rapidly due to prognosed warmer period and plenty of pollen and nectar available..
I checked some, not all due to weather.

Attachments

• 4a.jpg
    4a.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 4b.jpg
    4b.jpg
    411 KB · Views: 31
  • 5a.jpg
    5a.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 5b.jpg
    5b.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 32
Broke down 5 supers of rodent damaged wax, checked feed, only 1 was a little lite so added fondant

Just walked half a mile across a flooded field in heavy drizzle with a 3 gallon bucket full of 1.1 to feed a few hives. Next on the shopping list: a helicopter! Quite a few hives getting very light on stores.

I've been really itching to get into my hive again, to check the colony buildup, but I looked into it on Friday, and I don't want to disturb them again.
At least I know the queen is there and she's laying, and there is plenty of forage around.

I will have to remember to keep an eye out for drone brood, so I know when to put out my swarm traps.

Topped up the fondant on two very light hives. The other four are still heavy so they appear to be fine.

All six colonies were flying strongly today and all show plenty of brooding if the traces on the inspection boards are anything to go by.

I've lost one, which was blighted by CBPV over the.summer so I am not surprised that it didn't make it. Fingers crossed for the others.

Zante leave them alone and go buy more bees

I am leaving them alone, until next week.

Consider it's regularly above 20 celsius here during the day, and yesterday it was around 24.

As for buying more bees, I'm going to split them after the acacia flow (or during the flow if I see swarming signs).
Swarm traps are just in case of a bonus.

Checked super left on over winter for stores and happy they have enough popped in two frames of foundation as not much room left anywhere to avoid swarming. Froze the two full frames of capped honey for emergency use. took off mouse guard to ease congestion. Observed very busy to-ing n fro-ing with large amounts of pollen going in. A quick in n out job no need to check BB as obvious hive is heaving with happy bees.

Finally we have had a day where the temperature (12C) has risen to what I would expect for spring, bees out flying and small amounts of pollen going in. Lets hope thats the back end of this long old winter.

Wow what a difference a few days make. Popped up to the bees at the allotment today, 14 C, willow has boomed, blackthorn bursting out all over, grape hyacinth everywhere & a good handful of dandelion. The bees in my nuc were very busy with what appeared to be about 1 in 4 coming back weighted down with bright yellow pollen.
Not opened up yet but thinking of transferring to a dummied down brood box and giving a couple more frames of foundation tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back