What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey there Guys and Gals! Just snuck in for a foray through the posts. Glad to see the regulars, I remember, are still posting. Had some time away from here. Some sad times. However...can't keep the Ole Gal down...so I'm back. Brace yourselves!

Welcome back

Some nice weather Friday am and lots of flying bees but very little pollen available. Bees have eaten all fondant and pollen subs so replaced all pollen subs.. Most have loads of stores so no more fondant for a week by which time - weather willing - some flowers may decide to open..

Certainly no liquid feed as frost forecast..

Hey there Guys and Gals! Just snuck in for a foray through the posts. Glad to see the regulars, I remember, are still posting. Had some time away from here. Some sad times. However...can't keep the Ole Gal down...so I'm back. Brace yourselves!

I wondered what you had been up to..good to see back Trem ;)

Today was warm and no wind so..... In I went, to check on queen and food in all hives. I am so glad I never fed them fondant, they still had so many stores in all hives. two really strong hives with at least three frames of brood and one which I had been concerned about. No sign of a queen so I gave them a frame of BIAS from another hive. Only a handful of bees in there but you never know! Then I looked through my notes for last year and realised I had the same concerns last year with a handful of bees left and no eggs at this time last year and they turned out to be my best hive. Will be interested to see if the frame of brood kickstarts the queen or if the draw queen cells!
So good to be in them again. feel really relaxed!
E

Finally did my first inspection of the year on my remaining colony.

All good, too good as a matter of fact. Even with the good weather there was very little activity as they still have masses of stores. I removed a few combs for future use and gave them some empty (non-black) comb from the dead hive.
They still have plenty of stores, even after removing some.

There still a couple of the black frames they were bought on that need removing, but there is no hurry for that. I will split them after the acacia flow (if they don't start making queen cells first) and will remove those frames then.

Didn't see any brood and didn't see the queen, but then again, didn't inspect all the frames, as they were starting to get a bit stroppy. Decided they were lively enough and left them at that. I will do a better inspection next time round.
If push comes to shove I can get a new queen in quite short order, but I will have to take a magnifying lens and a torch next time, to check the frames properly for eggs.

Finally did my first inspection of the year on my remaining colony.

All good, too good as a matter of fact. Even with the good weather there was very little activity as they still have masses of stores. I removed a few combs for future use and gave them some empty (non-black) comb from the dead hive.
They still have plenty of stores, even after removing some.

There still a couple of the black frames they were bought on that need removing, but there is no hurry for that. I will split them after the acacia flow (if they don't start making queen cells first) and will remove those frames then.

Didn't see any brood and didn't see the queen, but then again, didn't inspect all the frames, as they were starting to get a bit stroppy. Decided they were lively enough and left them at that. I will do a better inspection next time round.
If push comes to shove I can get a new queen in quite short order, but I will have to take a magnifying lens and a torch next time, to check the frames properly for eggs.
If you struggle to see eggs use a little LED torch to shine in the cells or take a picture of the frames and zoom the picture in, both of them methods make it loads easier if your eye sight is not the best.

If you struggle to see eggs use a little LED torch to shine in the cells or take a picture of the frames and zoom the picture in, both of them methods make it loads easier if your eye sight is not the best.

That is indeed the plan. I had a torch in the car, I always keep one there, but it's a large, heavy and very powerful thing, the kind of torch you'd want to have when changing a wheel at night. Not quite what I'd want to point at a comb covered in bees :D

That is indeed the plan. I had a torch in the car, I always keep one there, but it's a large, heavy and very powerful thing, the kind of torch you'd want to have when changing a wheel at night. Not quite what I'd want to point at a comb covered in bees :D

You want one of these..Energizer Vision HD+ Focus LED Headlight 300 Lumen Head Torch Lamp 3 AAA battery
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Energize...783349&hash=item440fb56fa0:g:Y1IAAOSwjyhaFrSq

Great light , very comfortable.

Assisted another lady to replace two supers (being used as a brood box on a double brood hive) with a brood box. She started last year with a wooden hive from our apiary, we swopped it over to a Maisie poly hive before winter. Nice strong hive with bees on all frames in top box and three frames in lower box. Lovely sunny 10C.. no wind.. ideal day. Ten minute job.. - mainly lighting smoker which was not needed!

Come through winter very strong so she's talking about splitting in June into another hive. Delighted her hive has survived.. hearing reports of some beginners/one year beekeepers losing all hives over winter.

First lawn mow.
Bees still shut up and not inspected. They are heavy on hefting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Changed new floor this morning got rid of the mouse guard and put 9mm entrance in.
Had a quick look at the fondant still loads on the top bars , so I let them alone
Crocus and willow pollen going into the hive this afternoon .
I'm going to do my last march weigh I wonder if its getting heavier.

Checked fondant levels and added to one - poly nuc with two brood boxes. Removed mouse guards and put entrance blocks in place. Reversed varroa boards to give ventilation. Watched bees coming and going taking in pollen. Very relaxing and satisfying.

Today was warm and no wind so..... In I went, to check on queen and food in all hives. I am so glad I never fed them fondant, they still had so many stores in all hives. two really strong hives with at least three frames of brood and one which I had been concerned about. No sign of a queen so I gave them a frame of BIAS from another hive. Only a handful of bees in there but you never know! Then I looked through my notes for last year and realised I had the same concerns last year with a handful of bees left and no eggs at this time last year and they turned out to be my best hive. Will be interested to see if the frame of brood kickstarts the queen or if the draw queen cells!
So good to be in them again. feel really relaxed!
E
Hope the predicted next cold spell doesn't finish them off? Last few springs have been mild so weak colonies coming through winter were able to build up without much stress from the weather.

I had to transfer a poly nuc into a National yesterday, it was a premature move but if you saw the amount of pollen going in, it’s was going mad and had to be done imo. I cracked the roof and Bees on 6 seams, wall to wall. So an executive decision was made and a very quick change was done at 12c. Queen spotted and BIAS.

Other beekeeper on the farm reported 'recent' woodpecker attack, so went up and wrapped mine. They have been fine all winter and her hives are chewed more that holes, but whatever. I had a look - she has two supers on each hive!

My bees did not appreciate my efforts and made themselves known, so Woody Woodpecker is brace if he is hitting them! I heard the woodpecker tapping away nearby.

Off on holiday so was there just after sunrise, it's a beautiful tranquil spot - a really nice experience seeing the sun hit the hive and a few early bees popping out.

sorry you wasp lovers.. just eliminated first queen wasp that was sitting on the side of a very active hive.

Masses of pollen being pulled in, so did a shook on the strongest..(T shirt weather in Sussex) 5 frames brood dumped, so hopefully varroa reduced dramatically. Got a frame feed of syrup and fondant above.
Lost 2 colonies this year to separation from stores. 2 frames of brood too.. shame as there were 4 frames heavy with stores 1 frame away..

Hope the predicted next cold spell doesn't finish them off? Last few springs have been mild so weak colonies coming through winter were able to build up without much stress from the weather.

May well do but hey....... At least I tried
E

Back