Well thats my summer nearly over

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuswellMetro

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
The Blackberries are over two weeks earlier than last year and the Lime has just come out, at this rate Christmas will be in October

Attachments

• IMG_0196.jpg
    IMG_0196.jpg
    465.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0201.jpg
    IMG_0201.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 40
The Blackberries are over two weeks earlier than last year and the Lime has just come out, at this rate Christmas will be in October

Oh my ... the Lime trees at Hampton Court are usually in full blossom at the Hampton Court Flower SHow which is in July .. always covered in bees when I sit and eat my sandwiches .. what is going on ?

I noticed this the other day whilst playing in the apiary up the farm, blackberries been open for a while now and limes out on my road......

Oh my ... the Lime trees at Hampton Court are usually in full blossom at the Hampton Court Flower SHow which is in July .. always covered in bees when I sit and eat my sandwiches .. what is going on ?

The oldest beekeeper in my BKA says it has happended before, he says it is the dry patch we had in may,,,everything went into suvival mode due to the drought, so in flower early

Last edited:
Oh god Muswell, don't say that... Spring crop wasn't great and they ate a load of it during the last month... My yield is going to be terrible this year if that is the case!

The oldest beekeeper in my BKA says it has happended before, he says it is the dry patch we had in may,,,everything went into suvival mode due to the drought, so in flower early

Yep ... that makes some sense - following on from a very mild winter down here so the soil would be relatively warm as well ... apparently, it all starts from the roots ...

Speak for the sunny south. We had a lot of winter rain and yes we had a dry spell.. but the lime is yet to come (2 weeks) and it is peeing with rain most days since 1st June...And my empty 45 gallon greenhouse water barrel has gone from empty to full in 12 days...

Interestingly I went over to my essex apiary today and the hedge is full of bramble buds which are yet to open... could it be that some of your local stuff is a different species that flowers earlier? There may still be hope!

Here's my bramble

Attachments

• IMG_20170610_191148210.jpg
    IMG_20170610_191148210.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 23
Bramble where I am has been open for nearly 2 weeks now.....

I'm not sure what is going on down Sarf but everything is on track here even more so better than last year and the summer flowers/weeds are just coming in to bud, i have around one and a half supers from the spring crop if i had better bees that would double, last year i had nine frames from the spring crop.
It's about time you southern softies got a taste of our weather..:D

It is dire here - dearth up to now and now the blackberries are out at least. My rape crop was non existent this year as just too dry and cold at times. Roll on next year!

It is dire here - dearth up to now and now the blackberries are out at least. My rape crop was non existent this year as just too dry and cold at times. Roll on next year!

Despite being within easy reach of rape fields the spring honey I've extracted so far is refusing to solidify. Weird.com

Plenty of blackberries out in the south east. They will flower for a while longer yet. I drove from Exeter back to Kent this afternoon and blackberry were out all the way home 210 miles.

Despite being within easy reach of rape fields the spring honey I've extracted so far is refusing to solidify. Weird.com

Interesting...
Bees I had sat in a field of rape...solid. Those with a mile or so to fly to nearest rape field, still liquid. Suggests local non rape nectar sources.
Thank goodness as I'm out of summer runny honey :)

Latest posts

Back