Sulphur Discs from Thornes ? needed?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There has definitely been the odd bot that has resurrected an old thread; easy to spot although some people have been oblivious to this and added a few extra pages of comments.
I'd be happy to have you tell me before I embarrass myself.

There has definitely been the odd bot that has resurrected an old thread; easy to spot although some people have been oblivious to this and added a few extra pages of comments.

I've been pondering what beekeeping question can be asked to identify a human? A machine has access to practically every book ever written as well as every website.
It's not easy to spot them when they apply to join the forum - whilst the mods have access to tools that identify potential spam and access to IP addresses these bots are very clever and there's rarely any visible signs of them being anything other than legitimate requests to join the forum.

It's not easy to spot them when they apply to join the forum - whilst the mods have access to tools that identify potential spam and access to IP addresses these bots are very clever and there's rarely any visible signs of them being anything other than legitimate requests to join the forum.
They don't write proper English when they post though

Lots of people use sulphur burning for waxmoth. I've used it for fumigation of chicken coops for redmite and it seems to work pretty well for that (though in summer I found redmite on the outside too which explains reinfestation).
I just have a couple of tablespoons of sulphur in a small metal dish resting on a heatproof (but not too heatsinking) surface, light it, close the doors and wait a couple of hours before airing thoroughly.
You could do the same with a hive, just make sure the low blue flame it produces is away from flammable bits!
Not much can survive having it's blood turned into sulphurous acid!
Sulphur powder (flowers of sulphur) can be bought cheaply from horse equipment sellers.
We got rid of the wooden chicken coop as a result of mite infestations.
Got a good plastic one, no mites and it will out last the chickens and us !

We got rid of the wooden chicken coop as a result of mite infestations.
Got a good plastic one, no mites and it will out last the chickens and us !
I've heard of mites in plastic coops wherever there is a gap, or within hollow panels. I've had them in the coarse plastic screw threads of a chick brooder heater's legs.
Sadly plastic doesn't guarantee no redmite.

Last edited:
I've seen a e-shot from Thorne saying that sulphur discs are back in stock, I've never used them before or needed to.

Last year I lent one of my hives for queen rearing and when it came back it was full of wax moth. I've not really done anything with it over winter.

A couple of years ago I'd just dive straight in and get the switch card out and get the snake oil from Thorne, so eventually coming to the point... Are Sulphur Discs for the gullible? How do you remove wax moth?>
I have succesfully used sulfur strips in a burner for clearing waxmoth for the past 30 years, I used to do it several times over the winter but now I just do it once and I put in something that I learned from a French commercial beekeeper friend: I put in tablets of real camphor, it is sold on the internet for hindu rituals, it is pure and natural and stops reinfestation of combs in storage. You just have to be careful not to get sold the poisonous mothballs that are also still for sale from india and china.

I put in tablets of real camphor, it is sold on the internet for hindu rituals, it is pure and natural and stops reinfestation of combs in storage. You just have to be careful not to get sold the poisonous mothballs that are also still for sale
and you believe camphor is not toxic? :rolleyes: :banghead:

I've heard of mites in plastic coops wherever there is a gap, or within hollow panels. I've had them in the coarse plastic screw threads of a chick brooder heater's legs.
Sadly plastic doesn't guarantee no redmite.
We have had no problems with it.
If a coop is infested, the chickens are very reluctant to go inside.
They did not want to go back in the wooden one.

We have had no problems with it.
If a coop is infested, the chickens are very reluctant to go inside.
They did not want to go back in the wooden one.
In my experience the infestation has to be really bad before the chickens get reluctant to go in.

I have succesfully used sulfur strips in a burner for clearing waxmoth for the past 30 years, I used to do it several times over the winter but now I just do it once and I put in something that I learned from a French commercial beekeeper friend: I put in tablets of real camphor, it is sold on the internet for hindu rituals, it is pure and natural and stops reinfestation of combs in storage. You just have to be careful not to get sold the poisonous mothballs that are also still for sale from india and china.
You do know that camphor is associated with liver damage?

You do know that camphor is associated with liver damage?

Wikipedia says:

"Applied on skin, camphor may cause allergic reactions in some people; when ingested by mouth, camphor cream or ointment is poisonous. In high ingested doses, camphor produces symptoms of irritability, disorientation, lethargy, muscle spasms, vomiting, abdominal cramps, convulsions, and seizures Lethal doses by ingestion in adults are in the range 50–500 mg/kg (orally). Generally, ingestion of two grams causes serious toxicity and four grams is potentially lethal."

Given the first four of that list of symptoms I'm wondering if there must be some hanging around my home :D

I'm not sure it's something I'd want to be putting near combs that were going to hold honey for human consumption.

James

Latest posts

Back