Extracting previously vaped frames?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do224

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
If you do a winter vape around Christmas and later in the year do a demaree for example, could you use the honey in the top box frames….even though they were part of the bb when it had its winter vape?

I wouldn't be concerned, the bees will have cleaned out the cells pretty thoroughly, I doubt there will be any OA particles in it.
If it hung around that long one treatment would last all year!

I assume you mean eat or sell? You can certainly use it, for feeding back to the bees if nothing else.

James
Yes I mean is it ok for consumption. Do people routinely extract from brood frames that are likely to have been subject to vaping during the winter? Is it considered safe?

why would you extract that anyway? extract at the end of the summer, anything they bring in after that is for the, in any case, it would be mixed with syrup and any thymol feed you give them.

why would you extract that anyway? extract at the end of the summer, anything they bring in after that is for the, in any case, it would be mixed with syrup and any thymol feed you give them.
You don’t extract the top box of a demaree? So you would remove and extract the shallows and just leave the top deep full of honey as their winter stores? 🤔

You don’t extract the top box of a demaree? So you would remove and extract the shallows and just leave the top deep full of honey as their winter stores?
Your initial question confused me a bit.
I often extract honey from the top box of a Demaree.
Yes it is safe to extract honey from comb that has previously been vaped

Is it considered safe?
Yes, and sensible US regs. permit honey supers to be on hives during vaping with OA. Some years ago the short-sighted UK declined to join an EU research group investigating OA residue in honey; result was that levels of OA were insignificant, and not above natural levels, but of course, that conclusion was not valid in the UK.

Yes, and sensible US regs. permit honey supers to be on hives during vaping with OA. Some years ago the short-sighted UK declined to join an EU research group investigating OA residue in honey; result was that levels of OA were insignificant, and not above natural levels, but of course, that conclusion was not valid in the UK.
Yet again we are on the back foot and behind the rest, I’m vaping a colony this next week by removing supers vaping then putting them back on!
I was also thinking that over the last 2/3 years Ive had numerous brood boxes to extract from which were from demaree colonies that had winter vapes, brood boxes I extract last for some reason 😂

Thanks for the context

Yes, the USA is famed for its food safety standards.

Yes, the USA is famed for its food safety standards.
That may be so, but the critical factor remains true, that OA residue in honey is not above levels occurring naturally; perhaps the US has it right this time? The EU research concluded the same: it's not a hazard to honey.

If the vape is a one-off, take off the supers, put a sheet of newspaper on the BB, put the supers back on and vape.
as it's a one off - why not just vape the brood box whilst the supers have been removed to put the newspaper sheet on?

How does this vaping thing work time wise?
How long would you need to wait with the supers off?
If I left supers with honey in them outside, or even a whiff of honey in them anytime here in the last five months , I would be quite unpopular, such has been the robbing propensity/eagerness. I guess they could be really well covered? This vaping thing is ahead of me I guess. They are working on getting OA approved (still not) here in AU.

How does this vaping thing work time wise?
How long would you need to wait with the supers off?
If I left supers with honey in them outside, or even a whiff of honey in them anytime here in the last five months , I would be quite unpopular, such has been the robbing propensity/eagerness. I guess they could be really well covered? This vaping thing is ahead of me I guess. They are working on getting OA approved (still not) here in AU.
The original gas vap did have a few issues. None insurmountable but these have been addressed and here's a bit of video where they are discussed.

Back