wax moth or mice? and mould

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishguy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 over wintered nucs
IMG_20160106_164219579.jpg

IMG_20160106_164213780.jpg

IMG_20160106_164228164.jpg

IMG_20160106_164245840.jpg

Was out feeding fondant to all my hives and I've also a hive sitting out with no bees in it(lazy beekeeping) and 90% drawn frames. After seeing some mould on one of the other crown boards which is under a bonnet of insulation, i then hecked the empty hive and most of the framrs were destroyed by something, either mice or wax moth. If this is wax moth, what do I do now.

Concerning the mould on the CB, I don't know if its enough for me to worry about but if it is, would it be OK to change it now or leave until spring time. I'd say half of the CB has mould. Should have got pics but weather turned bad and didn't want to start taking g everything apart again. I think I know what the problem is with this bonnet, there's a small hole on top. I can't remember ever seeing it on this hive so I'm thinking maybe a bird or something other has caused it.

Pic 4 is easy to read. Comb is totally ruined by mold. Bees will bite it down, and they make new cells, if you put it into hive.

The comb has been long time in store. The whole wax seems to be spoiled by mold. White spots are pollen.

Pic 1 honey seems to fermented , and I would not return it to hive. White is molded pollen.

It is better cut off all combs and put new foundations. Or melt comb off with hot water or with what ever.

A bit of mouldy pollen in stored frames is common but in frames in hive suggests damp. I would also think the chewed frames are mice.
E

Pic 4 is easy to read. Comb is totally ruined by mold. Bees will bite it down, and they make new cells, if you put it into hive.

The comb has been long time in store. The whole wax seems to be spoiled by mold. White spots are pollen.

Pic 1 honey seems to fermented , and I would not return it to hive. White is molded pollen.

It is better cut off all combs and put new foundations. Or melt comb off with hot water or with what ever.

:( just what I didn't want to hear thou I deserve it for being lazy. House is only 150 meters away from hives :(

Was hoping they could be saved.

A bit of mouldy pollen in stored frames is common but in frames in hive suggests damp. I would also think the chewed frames are mice.
E

Added a frame with moldy pollen in spring and bees cleaned it and frame turned out ok. Was hoping these could be used as well.

Added a frame with moldy pollen in spring and bees cleaned it and frame turned out ok. Was hoping these could be used as well.

You can do it, but a beehive is not a carbage bin. Imagine that you produce good quality food to your customers. Honey may spoil your new honey with its aroma.

Sugar, £ 0.5/kg is better than that ruined honey.

Those white spots of mould do nog harm. Bees clean them. But the whole wax is ruined in large area.

Actually when swarm occupyes an old hive, where ex gang has died, swarm starts with this kind of combs quite often. And often starved rotten bees inside the cells.

Last edited:
What a waste !

Leaving priceless comb unprotected .

Think how useful that would have been for splits later in season.

Tell me about it ffs, ya couldn't get any backwards than irishguy here, not only is he thick, he's thick and stupid :leaving::banghead: in saying that thou, my freezer is full of drawn super frames, I've other drawn frames in the house which went moldy so I was thinking maybe of I left them out in the hive then they would be OK. Was being lazy as well. Looks like I'll have to buy a bigger chest freezer for this beekeeping carry-on so it doesn't happen next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can do it, but a beehive is not a carbage bin. Imagine that you produce good quality food to your customers. Honey may spoil your new honey with its aroma.

Sugar, £ 0.5/kg is better than that ruined honey.

Those white spots of mould do nog harm. Bees clean them. But the whole wax is ruined in large area.

Actually when swarm occupyes an old hive, where ex gang has died, swarm starts with this kind of combs quite often. And often starved rotten bees inside the cells.

When you say ruined, what do you mean. I'm thinking maybe the bees can clean them and also build the 1/4 wax again needed on some frames.

Tell me about it ffs, ya couldn't get any backwards than irishguy here, not only is he thick, he's thick and stupid :leaving::banghead: in saying that thou, my freezer is full of drawn super frames, I've other drawn frames in the house which went moldy so I was thinking maybe of I left them out in the hive then they would be OK. Was being lazy as well. Looks like I'll have to buy a bigger chest freezer for this beekeeping carry-on so it doesn't happen next year.

You don't HAVE to store them in the freezer .. wax moths are attracted to brood frames as are mice. When you store brood frames give them a couple of days in the freezer to start with - this will kill any wax moths already in there - then you can store them - they need to be wrapped in polythene bags and stored in some sort of mouse proof container - otherwise the mice - or worse still rats - will get in there. Plastic boxes work OK but a mouse or rat will chew through them given the chance ~ so you can't just leave them outside - a rodent proof shed (and keeping an eye on it remaining rodent free) is a good option - or one of those metal garden stores.

Another lesson learned ... we all drop a clanger once in a while.

PS: I'm with Finnie on not re-using them. The bees would probably clean the frames up but do you really want that stuff in your hives ? Melt them down, sterilise the frames and re-use them - add the wax to your candle pot. There won't be much there anyway - there's not a lot to melt down in brood frames.

Yeah....

Freezers full of old combs and hospitals full of collapsed beekeepers. Now they are called bedkeepers.

But it is sure, that freezer is not a place to store old combs.
Really expencive rubbish bin.

hole

View attachment 12620

View attachment 12621

View attachment 12622

View attachment 12623

Was out feeding fondant to all my hives and I've also a hive sitting out with no bees in it(lazy beekeeping) and 90% drawn frames. After seeing some mould on one of the other crown boards which is under a bonnet of insulation, i then hecked the empty hive and most of the framrs were destroyed by something, either mice or wax moth. If this is wax moth, what do I do now.

Concerning the mould on the CB, I don't know if its enough for me to worry about but if it is, would it be OK to change it now or leave until spring time. I'd say half of the CB has mould. Should have got pics but weather turned bad and didn't want to start taking g everything apart again. I think I know what the problem is with this bonnet, there's a small hole on top. I can't remember ever seeing it on this hive so I'm thinking maybe a bird or something other has caused it.
Wood peckers luv making holes in hives,i allways cover my hives with Builders sacks for winter months peg them down Keeps em dry and the wind isn't trying to pull them over

dry

I use a good hair dryer to get rid of the jank

PS: I'm with Finnie on not re-using them. The bees would probably clean the frames up but do you really want that stuff in your hives ? Melt them down, sterilise the frames and re-use them - add the wax to your candle pot. There won't be much there anyway - there's not a lot to melt down in brood frames.

Steady, that's the second time you've agreed with Finnie this year (and it's only 7 days old). How do you two expect to get banned in time for the beekeeping season if you carry on like this! :sport-smiley-002:

Steady, that's the second time you've agreed with Finnie this year (and it's only 7 days old). How do you two expect to get banned in time for the beekeeping season if you carry on like this! :sport-smiley-002:

I've gone treatment free and I'm building up a natural immunity to his posts rather than using the ignore button !!!:sos:

The fluffy mouldy pollen is the result of the action of fungus Bettsia alvei which eventually turns it into rock hard pellets which the bees find difficult to shift without biting the comb back to the mid rib. However there is a natural biological solution as pollen mites Carpoglyphus lactis will feed on the fungal mycelium in the pellets reducing them down to a yellow powder which can be freely emptied out of the comb. If you put the powder under the microscope you will notice that it moves as it is packed with these very small pink mites. The mite was originally found on dried fruit and is known as the prune or dried fruit mite and feeds off the yeasts on the surface

Back