Wasps Still Feeding Brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think nests were started late this year for some reason. Queens were still flying here (and looking to nest in my sheds) at the end of June. I don't remember seeing them so late before.

I've hardly seen a wasp. Very few around hives and none on the plums

They're definitely onto sugar feeding here in the frozen north, none on my plums though thankfully :D

They're definitely onto sugar feeding here in the frozen north, none on my plums though thankfully :D

They're all over my conference pear trees. The pears are a long way off ripe but the wasps are chewing holes into the fruits

They're all over my conference pear trees. The pears are a long way off ripe but the wasps are chewing holes into the fruits

A friend's garden apples are taking a hammering between blackbirds, thrushes and wasps... birds break into the fruit then the wasps burrow in.

My observations across a number of apiaries are that some wasp colonies are still brooding whilst others are resolutely in sugar feeding mode. A good friend discovered just how destructive a sustained wasp attack can be on a colony....

There's nothing worse than wasps attacking your plums.

No wasps on my pears but my bees are all over them drinking the liquid. This happened last year with the apple crop. Somerset is the only place I have seen this. Never seen my bees do it before.
E

There's nothing worse than wasps attacking your plums.

If perchance you are a practicing naturist, some judiciously worn clothing will alleviate that potential painful problem.

Back