Syrup lifespan

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMouse

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi folks,
Does 2:1 syrup go off?

I’ve got a whole load from last autumn which I made up and didn’t use and was therefore thinking about diluting it down for some spring feeding. I’ve heard about it fermenting - the bottles haven’t blown up or anything.

Thanks

Doesn't usually as long as it has been sealed from the time it was made - left open and the airborne yeasts get in and will ferment - you will know if it has started to go - the smell of sugar fermenting into alcohol is noticeable and you will see a cloudy sediment forming.

have a look at the stickies here. good recipe for adding a thymol mix to syrup to prevent fermentation of syrup. has added benefits for treatment against Nosema IIFC
It will stop fermentation when the syrup is in the feeder and exposed to the air ... probably not necessary if the syrup is put into sealed contaiuners as soon as it is made.

Hi folks,
Does 2:1 syrup go off?

I’ve got a whole load from last autumn which I made up and didn’t use and was therefore thinking about diluting it down for some spring feeding. I’ve heard about it fermenting - the bottles haven’t blown up or anything.

Thanks
When the concentration of dissolved solids exceeds a certain level bacteria and yeasts cannot survive or grow. At 2:1 I don't think there's much risk.

Latest posts

Back