Stoneleigh meet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
me 2. I will even try to find Polyhive!

I am gonna be wearing a rugby shirt will a big 11 on the back!

Well I only managed to go this morning and experiance a little of the madness. Sorry I didn't get to see anyone, well I may have met you but none recognised. Wish I had more time to look around. Have to try and get to the camping w/end with everyone.

Aye im just back. Madness so it was! but im glad i went

I'm back from a morning Visit. Must say for a first time visitor it's poorly laid out, too many stalls in too small an area, I thought Th**nes was supposed to be a brawl spent most of the time brawling to get to look at anything. Not that greatly mapped up I found 3 show halls on the guide but no context as to how to get to each hall from another. Brought some bit's and peices, got the badge won't be going back again I'm afraid.
Oh and was let down by the Beer, being a craft brewer, I would of liked to see Real ale Bottled with Yeast and bottle conditioned. Not pasturised bottles :(

Last edited:
I only made the morning as well, took hold of a couple of new queens and like an excited schoolboy wanted to get them home to play with. Very intersting to see all the stalls, mad queues though. Saw PH (nice shirt!) and Dr S briefly.

I enjoyed it, quite busy but not to mad got some hive parts and frames, met hedgerow pete and i may have seen PH, were you wearing a shirt with "i love poly hives on it?" if so sorry i didnt say hello but was worried if it wasnt you the guy might have thought i was mad lol.

Came home and went though the bees to find about 10 queen cells:confused:.

Will some kind soul be willing to perhaps provide a short summary of the day and couple of pictures for all the unfortunate souls unable to go?

That would be really interesting,

Sam

My day :-

1.Thornes "scrum" nowhere near as bad as I expected. No L/s deals but got some 14 x 12 for another beek. Thornes man with trolley took my stuff back to car for me!
2.Talk by Ron Hoskins very good.
3. Queue for sandwich meant I missed the BKF meet.
4. No 14 x 12 foundation anywhere by 2.00 pm - should have bought it in the morn.
5. Swienty polynuc (L/s or nat) looks OK but £47.70 is too pricey.
6. Swienty said Wynne Jones are shortly bringing in some of their national polyhives.
7. MB have a super for the poly L/s nucs.
8. Brunel Microscopes gave fantastic service and allowed me to exchange a stereo for a better stereo (difference to pay of course)
9. Commercial beekeeping talk was good - assured speaker who knew his subject.
10. All in all a good day out.

sorry no pics.

Peter

I recognise two association members in the second picture. Black jacket and green jacket looking downwards. Was third picture next door the MB stand?

Yes, it was the Struan Apiaries stand selling syrup and the hive lifter.

PH

I found 3 show halls on the guide but no context as to how to get to each hall from another.
Having been to this venue for several kit car shows..... am I not correct in thinking that doors would be the favoured method.. Unless there have been alterations most halls have huge interlinking doors..

The clutch thrust plate decided to disintegrate on the M4 over the weekend taking most of the clutch mechanism with it, one month outside the 5 year warrentee ,then the VW garage phones to say they can't repair the car unless i agree to replace the brake discs and pads because they are below VW service limits WHY DID i take it to a main agent

You've been had..... report them.....write to newspapers...

You've been had..... report them.....write to newspapers...

possibley but having complained the work was at vw hours for the job plus list price for parts

i have checked for cheaper vw part and the saving qoted for full clutch and brakes bit only saved £175at importer in lowestof

yes the hourly is v high but thats london

As a 1st timer I also found it very confusing at first. I arrived around 10.30 not needing to join any scrum for stuff and then proceeded to briefly look around every hall so I knew who was where.
Then after that I started to look more specifically at what interested me.

I went along with a reasonably small list of items to buy if the right deal and came away with them + a new extractor!

I would say it an experience and if I go in future at least I know how it works, however I would not plan to go every year.

In my confusion I did only take one photo (apologies) and it was taken at 12:34 (a lot quieter than when I arrived).

I'm afraid after my purchases I had had enough and didn't stick around too long, shame I didn't really get to meet any forum members although I think I walked past hedgerow pete at least once but wasn't 100% sure.

I got back a couple of hours ago, having made a full day of it. I'd been given instructions to get a hive for a friend and enjoyed spending someone else's money - seconds from Th's, good priced wax - I reckon I've saved £70 from the list price :)
Talked to some good people but didn't seem right to ask if they were from the forum (big bloke, dark hair, blue shirt with Worcestershire Assoc logo.... anyone here? Seemed friendly enough to belong!)
a good day, esp after the madness died down around 10 - anyone else talk to the bloke with the hive made out of concrete blocks?

Thank you all for your 'reports' - very kind of you. From the pictures it looks a little haphazard and untidy...not what I imagined at all.

Did you all meet up as planned?

PH what did you wear to distinguish yourself?

Sam

I met Frisby, Hedgerow Pete, Poly Hive and JCBrum. Missed Rooftops as he was busy and by the time things cooled off a bit later, my brain was fried and I forgot to call in to say hello.

I may have seen or spoken to others without being aware. I was in Chris B's honey appreciation workshop but didn't notice a gathering outside when it was over, except for the registrations for another session in another room.

hombre - PH, MM and I waited outside the honey appreciation so obviously there were two 3 person meets - you, chris and HRP and us.

Latest posts

Back