Spring Feeding.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National Hives & 1 Observation Hive.(Indoors) & lots of empty boxes..
Anybody giving spring feed of syrup yet?

Yes, only for the purpose of administering HiveAlive. Entrance feeder with syrup/HiveAlive blend on each hive.

Too cold yet - here.

fed most of mine last week a pound jar and had to put half gallon on 3 that were light. by light I mean on the verge of starving

Topped up fondant today, weather is getting bad, put more stones on hives as wind is predicted as being strong.

Glad I checked here - was about to put on the first spring feed but will see if I've any fondant left instead if folk think its too early (daily temps around 8-12 degrees here, no frost for a while)

Glad I checked here - was about to put on the first spring feed but will see if I've any fondant left instead if folk think its too early (daily temps around 8-12 degrees here, no frost for a while)

My comments about using fondant only at present relate to daily highs of 9C and night lows of -1C to 2C...

(Forecasts are useless for planning as they can change dramatically day by day at present,,).

It's sunny and not hailing/raining or snowing as I write..but 25-40mph gusts..

Feed thin syrup from early/mid February if you want to encourage early brooding.

Think here the amount of water involved with feeding larvae. Larvae contain rather more than the moisture in fondant. Bees have got by with honey at, say, 18% for millenia, but it all rather depends on whether you want new foragers ready and waiting for the OSR.

OSR is far behind, this year; last two seasons it was well out in bloom by now; or maybe it was just earlier than normal these last two seasons?

Fondant is good for starvation avoidance and not a lot more, unless a good supply of water is available.
A week of really freezing weather (still possible at this time of the year in the UK) could mean the loss of much of the uncapped brood if only fondant is available to them. Just give it some thought!

If that brood happens to be most of the first brooding cycle, the colony could be jeopardised. Up to the beek to decide on the risks. If the second cycle, the colony would just be set back a few weeks. Do your time lines.

RAB

OSR is far behind, this year; last two seasons it was well out in bloom by now; or maybe it was just earlier than normal these last two seasons?
I think spring here was about 6 weeks ahead of the previous year, although I think that was a bit late.........perhaps we're back on course..

Just put feeders on mine today at 1:1. They have been taking in pollen quite well and their fondant was almost gone. I'm pretty sure they are brooding as the temp. of the cover board is up so I thought I would bite the bullet and put a spring feed on. As it's just been said, brood will need higher water content for the hive and if the weather stops them flying for a few days they should at least have enough supplies of everything they need for the near future. (I hope)
Just hoping now that I haven't 'cocked' it up so soon in the year! :confused::)

Feed thin syrup from early/mid February if you want to encourage early brooding.

Think here the amount of water involved with feeding larvae. Larvae contain rather more than the moisture in fondant. Bees have got by with honey at, say, 18% for millenia, but it all rather depends on whether you want new foragers ready and waiting for the OSR.

Fondant is good for starvation avoidance and not a lot more, unless a good supply of water is available.
A week of really freezing weather (still possible at this time of the year in the UK) could mean the loss of much of the uncapped brood if only fondant is available to them. Just give it some thought!

If that brood happens to be most of the first brooding cycle, the colony could be jeopardised. Up to the beek to decide on the risks. If the second cycle, the colony would just be set back a few weeks. Do your time lines.

RAB

Thanks RAB - the input of water was in my original thinking, so I will revert to Plan A and get the 1:1 ready. As an aside interestingly, a local farmer told me yesterday that he's spied the first flowering of OSR in one of his fields

OSR is very variable. Round me pigeons decimated it so been set back so I think for my very local patch it's a few weeks behind.

RAB - I would say we're back to normal spring timings with last year being very early

So how do you guys know where the local OSR is? As I'm in a very urban area I assume it's unlikely my girls will find any?

Obee

Latest posts

Back