Bananas

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw the title of this thread but have searched it thoroughly and not found a mention of American politics or Trump. Am I missing something?
Is Trump a beekeeper?

Have you had a chance to ask why bees are fed bananas?
I've read somewhere that it lessens the occurrence of chalkbrood.
they say that some chemicals in the banana mimics a pheromone response in the bees.
I have not read any scientific stuff though, mostly the treatment-free folks do this.

I've read somewhere that it lessens the occurrence of chalkbrood.
they say that some chemicals in the banana mimics a pheromone response in the bees.
I have not read any scientific stuff though, mostly the treatment-free folks do this.
Yes I was curious whether moobee had asked seeing as they are there in the USA.

Have you had a chance to ask why bees are fed bananas?
Unfortunately not. Went to a couple of food markets where beekeepers had stands but the actual beekeepers themselves weren’t there and their helpers knew next to nothing sadly.

What about the vitamins and potassium also bananas are antioxidants by what I’ve been reading.
maybe there are some traice elements the bees receive from foraging on bananas, I’ve heard of feeding fruit to bees before even in this country..

Fruits have so small amount of sugar the bees do not eate fruits.

Saw a presentation by Bees Aboard on beekeeping in Africa a while back. They were using banana leaves as smoker fuel, this caused the bees to be temporary knocked out and a calm inspection allowed, although we didn't see them recover in the video.
I diid experiment using dried banana skins as smoker fuel, but it wasn't any better than my usual fuel.

What about the vitamins and potassium also bananas are antioxidants by what I’ve been reading.
maybe there are some traice elements the bees receive from foraging on bananas, I’ve heard of feeding fruit to bees before even in this country..
There sre scientific reports about honeybee nutrition simce 1977. Then and after that no one has told that fruots are usefull to bees.

Vitamins In invented when I saw the list of vitamins in the royal jelly. Ok, you put there multivitamins pills and multi B-vitamins.

But just to draw antioxidants and potassium Snd "traice element"...
Based on what?

And you think that it is bananas, which have all good stuff. When I look banana content, it has merely sugar.

If you give sugar to the hive, it cannot rear brood if the hive does not get pollen from nature or old stored pollen from combs.

I have written about these things numerous times in this forum during last 20 years

Ahhh, that will be why wasps eat overripe apples then. It's not for the sugars, it's because they're getting absolutely lashed.

James

Apple juice has about 8% sugar. Are apples overripe or not, it does not help in beefeeding.

Latest posts

Back