Timing of spring unites

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sutty

From Glossop, North Derbyshire, UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
I have 12 colonies of various sizes - some went into winter on double brood but I anticipate are much smaller now.
I want to reduce to about 5. I'm planning lots of unites and am just debating the best timing.
Currently thinking the middle of march if the weather is reasonably typical.
Any thoughts or advice? It's not something I've needed to do in such numbers before!

I have 12 colonies of various sizes - some went into winter on double brood but I anticipate are much smaller now.
I want to reduce to about 5. I'm planning lots of unites and am just debating the best timing.
Any thoughts or advice? It's not something I've needed to do in such numbers before!
Just a suggestion. How about selling as 5 frame nucs the 7 you don’t need. Any frames/bees left over can be united with existing colonies. We were getting 300 per nuc at auction last year.

Probably best in a flow so I reckon your timing thoughts are fine. Have you thought about using a screen between them for a bit before combining with newspaper? Even a feeder board with a screen over the hole? Will you sell some queens or leave the bees to decide which one they want?

Some will be "leave the bees to it", some will be removed, a few queens possibly to small nucs. Depends on temperament mainly.
Most united I've done in recent years have been with air freshener.

Back